I hate fenders...

Fenders?!!???
I have more of a problem with Gibsons myself! 😆

1585546913549.png

"FENDERS! OUT OF THIS COUNTRY!"
🤣

I'm a Paul Reed Smith toady. Hofners and Ricks are awesome!
I’m a lousy guitar player but I have two guitars.
A 1975 Ibanez Concord that is a copy of a Gibson Dove. Think this Ibanez is from what was called the lawsuit series as these guitars were shameless copies. ( visually, not really sound I think) I bought it in December 1975 so it stays even if would like to have something with a better tone.
Also have a 3/4 nylon string Peavey Composer. Impulse buy because I’ve been thinking of getting a smmaller guitar than the dreadnaught Ibanez.
I think I’lll go buy strings for both today.

I’m a lousy guitar player but I have two guitars.
A 1975 Ibanez Concord that is a copy of a Gibson Dove. Think this Ibanez is from what was called the lawsuit series as these guitars were shameless copies. ( visually, not really sound I think) I bought it in December 1975 so it stays even if would like to have something with a better tone.
Also have a 3/4 nylon string Peavey Composer. Impulse buy because I’ve been thinking of getting a smmaller guitar than the dreadnaught Ibanez.
I think I’lll go buy strings for both today.
If you have to be home, might as well play!

Very nice. I wanted an ebike with local support, otherwise Treks would have been on my list. I will say that the Vado fenders are equally quiet with similar construction. What is the load rating of the rack? Does it have an accessory attachment to accept top mounted bags, etc? If so, it seems that panniers would clip onto the existing horizontal rail with accessory bags on the rack attachment?
Rack time does make a mount that works on the top of the Vado rack. Unfortunately putting a trunk bag and panniers on at the same time is not easy!!
With a bit of finagling you can actually mount a better rack over top of the existing Vado rack/fender, one such as the Axiom Journey Mk ll. But you need to locate proper high-strength hardware to make the installation safe.
I had even thought of replacing the whole rack fender combo, but then realized I don't want to carry that much stuff:)

The fenders on my new Trek Aallant 9.9s are aluminum alloy with fixed 10mm struts, one mounting hole, no adjustments. They also have an allot liner that forms a cable compartment and further stiffens the whole structure. The pannier rack is also the stay for the rear fender. They are absolutely silent and rock solid. Best I've ever seen. In rainy Bellingham fenders are a necessity.

View attachment 48627

Your front fender may be adequate to protect your body from the wheel splash but the most valuable and most vulnerable part of your ebike (which is the motor) is very much exposed.

You may consider putting a mud flap.
1585913669702.png

There is another thread that talks about it.

and this;

Last edited:
I've been using a Portland Design plastic front fender for my Trek FX7700 for 18 years in Winter riding. I have a rack on the back to protect me from the rear tire. I take the front fender off each spring. Until my 2021 Vado SLE EQ this is the only bike I took out in the winter. While I don;t care for the fenders on the EQ (there wasn't a straight SL in my size), they have been coming in handy since I bought the bike in early december. There is a lot of stone noise with the front so I will probably take that on off this spring.

Love the fenders on my Trek Allant+7. Every now and then a fallen, crispy leaf rolls up and gets stuck in between the tire and fender and makes noise. It’s easy to remove.
412F5314-71A8-4607-B47B-F266CC285338.jpeg

I love fenders I live in sunny Florida where it can rain at a drop of the hat.....Having fenders is a godsend as not only do they help keep you dry but also Partially protect parcels or other items that you have on your rack so they’re not getting bombarded from both sides by a deluge....

Love the fenders on my Trek Allant+7. Every now and then a fallen, crispy leaf rolls up and gets stuck in between the tire and fender and makes noise. It’s easy to remove.
View attachment 75996
Leaves caught in my fenders reminder me of the old playing cards we'd clip on our fenders as kids...😉

I won't ride during the winter months without them due to the salt on the road which wreaks havoc on the drivetrain and is my primary concern. A rear fender must offer full coverage right down to the chain stays for this very reason. That being said, quality of materials needs to be addressed particularly when it comes to the metal hardware. Case in point, I've had these fenders on my standard ride for two months and the riveted bracket that holds the stay in place snapped rendering it useless. :mad: Fortunately, I'm able to get a full refund from where I purchased them even though I didn't retain the proof of purchase. I'm going to try my luck with a set of Bontrager NCS fenders as the stays appear to be better attached on the exterior face of the fenders with stainless steel bolts. Crossing my fingers on these ones. Without full coverage, I’ve already noticed visible rust on my chain. :(
IMG_20210102_1014589.jpg

601479687015.jpg

We've done fine all these years on bikes without fenders, but the Trek Verve+ that my wife got last year came with them, as do most non-MTB e-bikes it seems. It didn't take too long for the bike to start making noise due to the tight-fitting fender rubbing on the rear tire, and when I took a close look it turns out that the bike has a minor design flaw in that the rear wheel is not quite centered exactly in the frame, so one edge of the fender had a very close clearance even in the best fit case. After a couple of trips to the LBS to see if they could adjust it, we got tired of it and had them just remove it. This also included the integral taillight, but again no loss for us. And I notice that the newer Verve+ 2 model has completely redesigned fenders that solve this problem.

So yesterday I was taking my first ride on my new Vado and was just crossing the last intersection on my way home after 25 miles. My SPD pedals haven't arrived yet so I was riding on the flat pedals when my foot slipped off and apparently hit the front fender, which started making a serious scraping noise. I stopped as soon as I got across and found the fender pushed across and stuck on the tire, so I popped it back into place but it was still crooked and rubbing. Fortunately I had a multi-tool in my pack and was able to loosen the clamps on the struts that had apparently been forced out of position and got the fender off the tire. Today I spent a few minutes on it again and have it all straightened out.

But again, I would be just as happy without fenders on the bike and will take the front one off if it gives me any more trouble. Unfortunately, the rear rack mounts to the fender, so I guess that will have to stay. My wife's bike just takes a conventional rack so that wasn't an issue for her.
After the 1st time running over dog poo, you'll learn to appreciate fenders.

Back