I could smell my Vado motor about to fail

@dollarbin keep on at Specialized corporate, be that squeaky wheel! Chasing them up on public or social channels is often a good way to get attention. The least they should do is look into the claim and provide you with a prompt(er) resolution, whatever that looks like. 2 months without word is pretty disgraceful, and not a great way to build your loyalty. I feel your frustration!

Brose do have a reasonable reputation for third party repairability compared to some other motors (cough, Shimano, cough). That could be a good avenue before paying for outright replacement if Specialized doesn't come to the party. The new motor is still within that two year rolling warranty isn't it though? And which models did the 4 year warranty apply to?

I have been very satisfied with the Shimano Steps E5000 system in my Motobecane-- but I don't have that many miles on it, maybe 1,500. However, it has been subjected to some very serious strain-- climbing long, steep hills-- which explains the low miles: I'm in good shape, but an 8 or 10 mile ride here is a serious workout with only 40 nm between the cranks!

But PMC, you're not wrong-- I have also heard that the Steps systems are challenging to service. My LBS tells me they are now a Shimano dealer and would take care of me, though of course I don't know what that means until I have a problem. I do like the design of the motors that Pedal uses on his builds-- and I like the comments I've read from DIYers on other forums regarding repairability.

I like having two bikes-- one is the Moto, the other DIY or custom built one. My Clean Republic (Hiltopper) battery or controller fried twice in about a thousand miles, so I plan to replace that bike with one of Pedal's builds.

Stefan, I would be frustrated being the butt of many jokes, you have all my sympathy. I love your ride reports, and while your taste regarding ride monitoring and tracking software is very different from mine, hey, no problem... I get very obsessive about metrics sometimes, so I get it. I don't always quite understand why folks here go after you so hard. I mean, isn't there always at least one guy in any group who comes on a little strong about some subjects? I have at least one friend who is WAY more outta control than you are-- brash, opinionated, etc. So what?

FWIW, after learning a bit more about Pedal's builds-- and seeing the crazy, totally illegal electric bikes (actually motorcycles with cosmetic chains and pedals!) in New York, I think the way you characterized his business is not fair. He's not building overpowered monsters or dragsters, and none of the parts he's using seem like they are being used for anything they are not designed for. Maybe they go 20 MPH, maybe they go 29 MPH, but bicycles are built to go faster than that. I'm not an engineer, but I don't see anything that's being subjected to more load than it should be.

Generally, I disagree that 'off-the-shelf' products from large manufacturers are better or more reliable than DIY or custom build products. Sometimes they are, but more and more often, it seems like they are not. It feels like the implicit social/commercial contract about that-- if there ever was one-- is breaking down badly.

My 2014 Macbook Air was the second or third best laptop I've ever had, it was fantastic. 2020 Macbook Air is easily the worst laptop I've ever owned. The other day, it leaped off my desk and bit my ankle deeper than my dog ever has, and my laptop is less predictable than my dog, who has a seizure disorder, at least I can tell when he's getting bitey! (Okay, it didn't really bite me. I'm prone to hyperbole. My leg brushed against the non-magnetic, planned-obsolescent-intentionally-downgraded charging cable, and-- because it has frictionless feet-- it fell of the desk and gashed my leg.) I'm at the point where I'm thinking my next laptop is going to be a LINUX DIY that I have someone else build from the ground up.

This puts consumers-- like the OP, dollar, or any of us-- in a really difficult position. How are we to know what's best for our needs? We really can't trust the manufacturers. They might make a great product one year and another the next year that should never have been brought to market. And this is why this forum is so important. Great information and links, thanks, keep it coming.

Here is a more detailed Belt replacement video (sorry stefan ,no version info so probably best for you just to pay another $1300 since this would be beyond your skill level)

I have 3 brose based bikes (2018 Bulls hardtail MTB (~4k miles, Brose T)), Izip Moda E3 Class 3(~4k miles, Brose TS) and Turbo Levo (newish), no issues with any of them. Stefans mileage of 7100 (changed to 8700 oddly) is pretty impressive.

A belt replacement kit + torque wrench is about $200
https://ebikemotorrepair.com/product/brose-belt-kit-st/
https://ebikemotorrepair.com/produc...e-fixed-automatic-0-2nm-triggering-for-brose/

My motor (the previous generation) went 8700 miles in 3 years
11000 mi on my Bafang in 3 years and still showing no sign of wear. Running as strong as day 1.
I can't imagine how one would boast about failure after 8700 miles or just 3 years of use.

I think it speaks to the immaturity of the ebike market that we as consumers are offered 2 year warranties on the electronics and brag of motor lifespan in the thousands, while electric car owners get 6 to 8 year warranties and guarantees of hundreds of thousands of trouble free kilometers :rolleyes: I'd like to see industry stand by their product with a little more confidence.

Stefans mileage of 7100 (changed to 8700 oddly) is pretty impressive.
I read the number in the calculator wrongly first.

1690101909933.png

The distance reported here is from recorded Strava rides only. My e-bike was ridden by other people such as my brother, making the kilometrage between 14 and 15 thousand kilometres. I could only remember "14 k" ridden, and it was what I converted to miles in my post. More important is the e-bike was heavily used for exactly 3 years before the failure.

1690102389152.png

If we only take the recorder rides, my Vado 5.0 was ridden for 14,402 km or 8,950 miles.
while electric car owners get 6 to 8 year warranties and guarantees of hundreds of thousands of trouble free kilometers
Compare the price of an electric car and of e-bike.

Last edited:
Compare the price of an electric car and of e-bike.
True, the cost of a product often has limited bearing on its warranty. Consider the 7 year unlimited km coverage of the infinitely more complex ICE motor in a $19k Kia Picanto versus the 2 year warranty of that in a $23k S-Works Levo carbon emtb (incidentally, the same warranty found in an $800 ALDI ebike).

It's disappointing nevertheless, and - for a non-engineer like myself - somewhat confounding considering the simple life of an ebike motor compared to that in an electric car. But I'm sure it's more complex than at face value.

Just for idle interest, I think I'll email the local representatives of my motors, Shimano and Yamaha, and ask why they don't stand by longer guarantees. I'll be sure to post any form responses I get back here.

Thanks BlackHand. I just talked to the LBS today and they had been waiting for a quote on a rebuild--a straight replacement is $1400 plus $300 labor. In talking to them I realized that they were unaware that the motor had been replaced 15 months ago because it was done at a different LBS that is no longer a Specialized dealer, so now I'm hoping they will get a warranty replacement sorted out. I
I thought NZD1200 (USD800) included labour for replacement bosch motor 3 years ago was expensive. Specialized sure know how charge like a wounded bull. Replacement was done in 3days and shop gave me free loaner. 25000kms between 3 other bosch bikes and no motor failures.

Paul we are not comparing an ICE car to the most expensive e-bike. Compare to a Tesla.

Kia is notoriously difficult to work with on warranty claims. Their advertised warranty and standard features put the entire 100k+ luxury car market to shame.

In general, I’m so over dealing with awful car dealerships. Whether Kia or Mercedes, they all suck to deal with. None of them stand behind their products. Specialized at least has a 30 day return period. Got to give them that.

In terms of EV battery warranty, I believe the US minimum mandated battery warranty is 8 years 100k miles (whichever first). Rivian goes higher. The drivetrain warranties are much less, often 2-4 years.

You have never built a bike. You are taking a bike that was never meant to be an e-bike. You maim those gorgeous vintage e-bikes. You let your customers ride at high speed and effortlessly on very dangerous contraptions and do not care about the safety. Fortunately, no-one was killed or injured riding your conversions yet. Still, thinking a electrified traditional bike could ride at speed of order of 30+ mph and remain safe might only come to a mind strongly skewed by the use of tetrahydrocannabinol.

Battery fires? Have you ever heard of a battery fire of a premium e-bike? No, it is the DIY contraptions that catch the fire.

Moreover, you have never owned a Specialized e-bike.
I am posting a VADO motor issue to this thread. My 2020 VADO motor failed yesterday. Same symptom as the first motor which failed May 2021. (I have battery power but motor just makes a noise like a belt failed) Approx 7500 Miles on this motor. I will take the bike to LBS and hope I can convince them to replace again under warranty 2 years and 3 months old. I love the bike but the motor is obviously a weak point. Perhaps I can trade it for a CREO which I would like to upgrade to?

Good luck! Where things stand now is that Specialized offered to discount a new motor from $1200 to $800, I don't know if labor is included. I'm looking into having the broken motor refurbished, given I've broken two new motors in less than 6K miles I think I probably have more confidence in a rebuild than an new one.

Good luck! Where things stand now is that Specialized offered to discount a new motor from $1200 to $800, I don't know if labor is included. I'm looking into having the broken motor refurbished, given I've broken two new motors in less than 6K miles I think I probably have more confidence in a rebuild than an new one.
Would they replace with the latest gen motor with new warranty?

Would they replace with the latest gen motor with new warranty?
I have limited information, my communication with Specialized has only been through the bike shop and they have not been very easy to deal with. I assume that Specialized is not resetting warranties with a new motor, while my bike is 3.5 years old, the new motor that just broke was only 15 months old and they're only offering a discount on a replacement, perhaps not even with included labor.

It would be very informative to have real reliability data for this motor type. I'm sure Specialized has plenty of data on the average lifetime of these motors but they're not sharing it. Reading into their offer, if they're offering to cover 1/3 of the price of a motor with 4K miles, then their estimate of the expected lifetime of a motor is 6000 miles. Obviously this is pure speculation, but given my experience and the limited data from the forum that seems like a reasonable estimate.

Given the underwhelming offer I'm done with Specialized and I'm done with this particular bike shop. It's been 10 weeks and we're still at square zero on this repair so I'm going to go rescue the bike and send out the motor myself for an off-warranty 3rd party rebuild.

I have limited information, my communication with Specialized has only been through the bike shop and they have not been very easy to deal with. I assume that Specialized is not resetting warranties with a new motor, while my bike is 3.5 years old, the new motor that just broke was only 15 months old and they're only offering a discount on a replacement, perhaps not even with included labor.

It would be very informative to have real reliability data for this motor type. I'm sure Specialized has plenty of data on the average lifetime of these motors but they're not sharing it. Reading into their offer, if they're offering to cover 1/3 of the price of a motor with 4K miles, then their estimate of the expected lifetime of a motor is 6000 miles. Obviously this is pure speculation, but given my experience and the limited data from the forum that seems like a reasonable estimate.

Given the underwhelming offer I'm done with Specialized and I'm done with this particular bike shop. It's been 10 weeks and we're still at square zero on this repair so I'm going to go rescue the bike and send out the motor myself for an off-warranty 3rd party rebuild.
That's a deeply disappointing response from Specialized. I would be spitting chips in your shoes. There's plenty of folks on the emtb forum on their 3rd and 4th Specialized motor with rolling warranties. Consider bringing this thread to the attention of their socials - it's not the greatest publicity and may help grease the wheels.

If it's any consolation, I've read of at least one motor repairer that has an upgrade kit for this motor. They claim it strengthens several components and addresses these reliability issues with the OEM. This company is UK based but there's got to be local equivalents for you. Hope you can get it repaired.

Last edited:

i don’t think we have nearly enough data points, but 6,000 miles better not be any sort of expected lifespan for a motor. i wouldn’t even consider 15,000 acceptable. that’s a couple years for a reasonably avid rider. of course some motors (like anything) will have problems much sooner, but as an average, if the lifespan of these things is not way past 10,000 miles they are doing something very very wrong.

I agree that we don't have enough data. There's a selection bias because people only report to the forum when they have a problem. I wonder how many 10K Brose motors are out there? I wonder who has racked up the most miles on a motor without a component failure? Maybe we should start a thread where people can chime in with positive stories, because this thread is a big fat bummer.

Who would know? Stefan and I have been taking the same stance on approaches to cycling much more often that not. Such as with Hee Haw bikes that weigh 120 pounds.

Hopefully the final update:

I rode my bike home from the bike shop today, 106 days after the May 17th failure. After 75 days of being run around by Specialized and the LBS Specialized dealer, I rescued the bike, brought it to my normal bike shop where they removed the motor. I then shipped it off to eBike Motor Repair in Tennessee (as seen in the YouTube videos above). They determined that it was in fact a broken belt, but the failing belt also took out the Belt Tensioner Pulley. I opted for the upgraded overhaul:
Upgraded overhaul - $812.92 for our top shelf service option. Includes all drive assembly bearings, HEAVY DUTY sprag bearings, complete seal kit, carbon fiber belt, all labor, and 360 day or 3000mi warranty.
The pulley was another $95. With all shipping costs plus what I paid the Local Bike Shop to remove and reinstall the motor the final total was $1324. The whole process ended up taking about a month. I'm not too mad at the money, if the motor lasts through the warranty it will be cheaper than what it would have cost to drive my car those 3000 miles. I'm just sad that I lost the whole summer and in general all the days the bike has spent in the shop since I bought it (Motor #1, 15 days; Battery, 38 days; Back Wheel, 17 days; Motor #2, 106 days).

Hopefully the final update:

I rode my bike home from the bike shop today, 106 days after the May 17th failure. After 75 days of being run around by Specialized and the LBS Specialized dealer, I rescued the bike, brought it to my normal bike shop where they removed the motor. I then shipped it off to eBike Motor Repair in Tennessee (as seen in the YouTube videos above). They determined that it was in fact a broken belt, but the failing belt also took out the Belt Tensioner Pulley. I opted for the upgraded overhaul:

The pulley was another $95. With all shipping costs plus what I paid the Local Bike Shop to remove and reinstall the motor the final total was $1324. The whole process ended up taking about a month. I'm not too mad at the money, if the motor lasts through the warranty it will be cheaper than what it would have cost to drive my car those 3000 miles. I'm just sad that I lost the whole summer and in general all the days the bike has spent in the shop since I bought it (Motor #1, 15 days; Battery, 38 days; Back Wheel, 17 days; Motor #2, 106 days).
I paid Specialized LBS around US$1,000 for the new motor. Yes, it took about three months (November - January) but the LBS had to rebuild the Vado from the scratch (that is, from the bare new frame) under the frame lifetime warranty (as the frame cracked near to the motor, too). I paid nothing for the labour.

Back