Hydraulic brake product/install knowledge?

murbot

Region
USA
City
MOUNT AIRY, MD USA
Hi,
I'm planning to upgrade my Rad Mini 4's stock brakes soon and want to learn what I need first.

If any of this is possible...
Since the Shimano (cut-to-order) 355/365's aren't available right now, I'm looking for something I'll need to cut and bleed. Preferably, something that's not lower end quality, but is maybe a bit easier to learn (the install) with. I also need to know if I'll need any specialty tools.

What's a good brand\model (or type if applicable) that can be cut, bled and installed?
I've read about open vs closed and not sure I've grasped that yet. Does it matter depending on how/where I ride?

I'm curious to learn this process. Willing to pay a little extra for parts that last. Maybe the install is the same experience regardless of brand though.

Any tools specific to brake installs?
I probably have what I need. Just trying to save a trip to the store.

Thanks !!

why not just get a NUTT brake?

NUTT is a good company, many ebikes have it, also RadRover 6 has it too.

Make sure to get both left and right.
Are these comparable to the Juintech cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes?

No because NUTT is full hydraulic.
JuinTech is a hydralic caliper only, not full hydraulic.

JuinTech is a cable brake. But it has hydraulic caliper.
But you will still have a cable activated brake, which means you will still be exposed to cable stretch, cable friction, etc.

Something similar to JuinTech will be these ones.
Zoom, Xtech and ZTTO have them.
They are cable activated hydraulic caliper, not full hydraulic.
Are any of these actually worth buying?

I put the XTECH brakes on my bike with manual disk brakes. I have been happy so far. Much, much easier to adjust than mechanical disk brakes.

I think that would really be a matter of opinion. I would rather spend a little more and get a full hydraulic.
Thank you for the suggestions!

Agreed. Aside from the fact that I don't want to pay $170 for a partially hydraulic system when I could pay less for full, I want to avoid stretch. If I'm upgrading components, I want to chose those that make things as simple as possible... once they're installed. I'll spend less time installing fully hydraulic brakes (during the one-time install) that I would adjusting brakes due to cable stretch over my ownership of the bike.

The Magura's are within the range I'm willing to spend.

Are the NUTT's good at that price?

I mean, what am I getting for $100 with Magura or $120 with Shimano that I'm not getting with NUTT for $15?

Thank you for the suggestions!

Agreed. Aside from the fact that I don't want to pay $170 for a partially hydraulic system when I could pay less for full, I want to avoid stretch. If I'm upgrading components, I want to chose those that make things as simple as possible... once they're installed. I'll spend less time installing fully hydraulic brakes (during the one-time install) that I would adjusting brakes due to cable stretch over my ownership of the bike.

The Magura's are within the range I'm willing to spend.

Are the NUTT's good at that price?

I mean, what am I getting for $100 with Magura or $120 with Shimano that I'm not getting with NUTT for $15?
Be careful on that Magura ad that was linked. They don't have them in stock, but they are taking the orders (and your money). They may also be hoping for the best in terms of delivery. And those are pre-supply-crush prices. I don't think you can count on that. I've got six bikes with MT5e's (well, one has MT5's) so I'm a fan of the platform. Arguably the best ebike brakes on the market but you should expect to see $150 per axle discount prices off of a retail that in a USA store is IIRC $225. I buy from German sites (Magura is a German company) and spend about $95-$100 per axle. BUT those prices do not include rotors, and Maguras take thicker 2.1mm rotors vs. industry standard 1.8mm rotors. Thats a good thing but you have to factor in Magura rotors into your equation so add $50-$70. I personally use Tektro Type 17 downhill rotors which are 2.3mm thick. Magura makes the best ebike brakes and Tektro makes the best rotors.

Lastly, the linked brakes are 'openers'. Your typical ebike in this category uses 'closers'. Closers are also labeled 'NO' which means 'normally open'. So pulling the lever closes the normally open circuit hence the term closer. 'NC' brakes are Normally Closed hence the term opener as pulling the lever opens the circuit. You have to get the right ones for your bike's controller.

I used to buy my Magura's from bike-discount.de or Rose Bikes - both in Germany. But shipping these days wipes out the savings. There is an ebay seller selling closers, each axle for $137.50 delivered.

What are you getting with Maguras that you are not getting with Nutts etc.? As I said the best ebike brakes on the market. But more concretely: 4 pistons that produce best in class stopping power that is also super easy to modulate. Its your ass. Wear pants or bandages. Your choice :D

Wow. So much great info from you both. Thank you !!

I know I'll end up with some redundant info from YT, but the info here has been a more reliable starting point that sifting through videos.

Knowing there will\may be other components that I may need to replace and having an idea of the some of the tools needed is a great place to begin. I'll spend a couple weeks studying things before I $hell anything out.

See my Xroad 2 thread in Moustache section on upgrading Shimano brakes.
If you have motor kill switch in existing cable brakes then Magura are best option as they offer levers with switches.
Reliability, performance and ease of bleeding is much of much between two brands. Both use non toxic mineral oil.

Budget on new rotors if they have wear marks from use as new brakes will wear them in different locations.

Unless mountain biking, 2 pot Deore,SLX, or XT, brakes with 180mm rotors and resin pads give good around performance. Stick to factory pads and you won't have any issues. I buy in bulk(x5) from Alexpress.

Back