Hydra occasional power loss

Deacon Blues

Did I read somewhere on this WW forum that some Hydra owners were experiencing intermittent power losses?
On my last ride that happened to me. While riding along in level 1 the motor watts output would, every once in the while, go to zero. If I continued to pedal the power always returned, but this happened a number of times.
Anyone else experience this?

This is something different. I can be pedalling along and the watts drop to zero....no power. After a second or two, with more pedalling, the power comes back on.
This has never happened with my UC Pro, which has the same X1 Archon motor.

I think I've had similar issue in Eco 1 at low speeds and higher gears - I had issues with the brake cutoff sticking, but this seems different - more like it's not detecting any torque, but if you downshift and spin the cranks fast or put it in Eco 2 it seems to get things going again. I just figured it's the configuration of the settings for Eco 1 based more on cadence than torque at lower speed.

Because the trails around where I live are so muddy I've been neglecting my Hydra and riding my other bikes. Yesterday, I took the Hydra out for a ride (pavement/pathways) and had the same intermittent power loss.
It doesn't seem to matter what my cadence is, or how I ride. Most of the time the motor functions properly, but every now and then the motor won't produce any power. The power does come back on if I apply a lot of torque to the pedals, or go to a higher power level.

Does the speedometer drop to zero when this happens? Is the power switch on the side of the frame functional?

I introduced this problem by enabling the power switch on my 52V battery. The gold spring contacts in the cradle aren't reliable. I'm wondering if the 48V batteries might experience the same problem?

The solution was to permanently enable the BMS output.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the button that turns the battery on and off? I thought TDA78 was talking about another power switch.

Are you talking about the button that turns the battery on and off? I thought TDA78 was talking about another power switch.
Oh yeah that is what I was talking about , the frame one . Tda may be talking about something else beyond my understanding !

Back