Hunting a unicorn?

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
Hello All. I need some help with bikes for myself and my wife. Our commutes are short, but we live at the top of a serious mile long hill, and like many boomers we both need to lose 20 or 30 pounds. We have pretty good trails here in Pennsylvania for recreational cycling - the famous GAP rail trail is only one of many close by.

We have only ridden 2 ebikes so far, both were rear hub motor bikes in the $1500 range: 500w Voltbike marineers with 20 inch wheels and 250w Electra townies with 26 inch wheels. The Voltbikes folded, but were heavy, uncomfortable on a long ride, and seem overpowered (wheelies), while the townie was comfortable but seemed too weak for any real hills. But, I suspect that most decent ebikes would work so far.

However;

I bought a small camper conversion van for retirement travels. Once the van is set up on blocks, awning extended, and it is hooked up to water and such, it is immobile untill we break camp.

We will need electric assist to get into towns and tourist attractions, with hills and headwinds, and probably to haul groceries back to camp. Space inside the van is tight, but there is a space under the bed/dinette area and a space behind the drivers seat where we might store a couple of folding bikes, as an alternative to leaving expensive full sized ebikes on a hitch rack.

Folding bikes with 26" wheels are rare, and I suspect there may be a reason for that. One dealer compared them to steering a wet noodle. The only full sized folding electric bike I know of is the Sonders step. I know nothing about Sonders, but the LBS hates them. I found 2 companies selling full sized folders online - Montigue trail bikes and Bazooka beach bikes - and am now considering having one of them electrified. Hopefully, someone here has a better idea.

I found my LBS hated my wifes Ecotric folding step thru 20" fattie. She loves it after 6 months. We put it folded in our Aliner a frame and my 26" (Ecotric) fattie on a rack. I find the folder very stable for a 20" even at 15mph. Anyway, for $850 , I think they are perfect for the use you intend them for.

I found my LBS hated my wifes Ecotric folding step thru 20" fattie. She loves it after 6 months. We put it folded in our Aliner a frame and my 26" (Ecotric) fattie on a rack. I find the folder very stable for a 20" even at 15mph. Anyway, for $850 , I think they are perfect for the use you intend them for.
So you travel with one of each - a 26 and a 20 inch?

Why not put them both on the rack since you have one? I'm missing something here..

In these times, this may be a deferred decision for you. I wouldn't recommend tourist attractions, if you can find any that are open anyway, for the obvious reason. Then there's the question of what do you do in a town w/ everything shut down? If it were me, along w/ waiting on this until, and if, things get back to some semblance of "normal", I would visit some bike shops and take some test rides. Sounds like you already got a start on that. Not sure I would leave expensive bikes on a vehicle rack either. Why not buy a couple of eBikes for when you're at home, and a couple of regular folders, or inexpensive pedal bikes you can put on a rack, for when you camp? It's asking a lot of one bike design to do both well.

Honestly Steve, I never considered buying more than 2 bikes.

Another option is get full size ebikes with quick release front wheels. By removing the battery and front wheel you can haul them in your camper. I own both folding and full size ebikes and I only use the folders as a last resort. They are slow and there ride is rough by comparison.

Another option is get full size ebikes with quick release front wheels. By removing the battery and front wheel you can haul them in your camper. I own both folding and full size ebikes and I only use the folders as a last resort. They are slow and there ride is rough by comparison.
That sounds like a rather good idea also. I had forgotten that the front wheels have quick releases - it's been decades since I rode much. It seems like people agree that putting expensive bikes on an outside rack IS NOT a good idea and trully secure racks (if they exist?) are trully expensive as well.

Hello All. I need some help with bikes for myself and my wife. Our commutes are short, but we live at the top of a serious mile long hill, and like many boomers we both need to lose 20 or 30 pounds. We have pretty good trails here in Pennsylvania for recreational cycling - the famous GAP rail trail is only one of many close by. We have only ridden 2 ebikes so far, both were rear hub motor bikes in the $1500 range: 500w Voltbike marineers with 20 inch wheels and 250w Electra townies with 26 inch wheels. The Voltbikes folded, but were heavy, uncomfortable on a long ride, and seem overpowered (wheelies), while the townie was comfortable but seemed too weak for any real hills. But, I suspect that most decent ebikes would work so far.

However; I bought a small camper conversion van for retirement travels. Once the van is set up on blocks, awning extended, and it is hooked up to water and such, it is immobile untill we break camp. We will need electric assist to get into towns and tourist attractions, with hills and headwinds, and probably to haul groceries back to camp. Space inside the van is tight, but there is a space under the bed/dinette area and a space behind the drivers seat where we might store a couple of folding bikes, as an alternative to leaving expensive full sized ebikes on a hitch rack.

Folding bikes with 26" wheels are rare, and I suspect there may be a reason for that. One dealer compared them to steering a wet noodle. The only full sized folding electric bike I know of is the Sonders step. I know nothing about Sonders, but the LBS hates them. I found 2 companies selling full sized folders online - Montigue trail bikes and Bazooka beach bikes - and am now considering having one of them electrified. Hopefully, someone here has a better idea.

Based on your use case... take a look at a folding bike with a mid-drive for the power and range to climb real hills.

2020 Motobecane EF3 Folding eBike, Advanced Lithium Ion Battery, Shimano STEPS MidDrive $1599

1588389441808.png

Thanks. Nice looking little folder, but I know nothing about middrives and won't dive down that rabbit hold until I've ridden one.

Last edited:
So you travel with one of each - a 26 and a 20 inch?

My arrangement is mostly to balance the weight for towing the Aliner with our XV Subaru. Also, when I have only the 26 on the rack its closest to the trailer and reduces the up and down stress on the receiver, we often use unpaved roads and it adds a lot of bounce and the reason bike rack companies void the warranty if used on the back of an RV or trailer. I guess the other advantage is at least one bike is locked inside the rig, cutting any exposure to theft in half and the reason I prefer lower end eBikes for traveling.

My arrangement is mostly to balance the weight for towing the Aliner with our XV Subaru. Also, when I have only the 26 on the rack its closest to the trailer and reduces the up and down stress on the receiver, we often use unpaved roads and it adds a lot of bounce and the reason bike rack companies void the warranty if used on the back of an RV or trailer. I guess the other advantage is at least one bike is locked inside the rig, cutting any exposure to theft in half and the reason I prefer lower end eBikes for traveling.
That makes perfect sense. I have not towed a trailer in years and forgot about weight balancing. Used to be very important especially downhill.

That makes perfect sense. I have not towed a trailer in years and forgot about weight balancing. Used to be very important especially downhill.

With elec brakes and the controller set correctly along with the use of virtual (paddle) shifters on our Crosstrek we have zero trouble towing. eBikes add a real component to the travel experience. My wife does outdoor photography and the 20" folder, especially with fat tires, gives a range that was not realistic before. The 26" fattie lets me lolly-gag around whatever area we are camping in with the stability I just don't feel on std mtb tires increasing the range I can explore because I don't do that well walking or peddling like I use to. :)

Bought this van because I felt I was a threat to myself and everyone else when I was towing. But really liked those A frames I saw at the campgrounds... you are not the first to mention theft of bikes on a rack ... I measured inside the van and the high top will let me put the bikes inside. Yea!
It does mean tearing a cabinet out behind the driver seat, but they will fit without blocking the path to the loo.
20190921_142407.jpg

Bought this van because I felt I was a threat to myself and everyone else when I was towing. But really liked those A frames I saw at the campgrounds... you are not the first to mention theft of bikes on a rack ... I measured inside the van and the high top will let me put the bikes inside. Yea!
It does mean tearing a cabinet out behind the driver seat, but they will fit without blocking the path to the loo.
View attachment 51418
Sweet! I have seriously looked into finding a cargo version of those and converting it. I would still keep the Aliner to use as a base and the converted van to explore. Would even consider a RTT ( roof top tent) on a short wheelbase can. In the end, getting out there ( especially now) is goal one. It does amaze me how incredibly well laid out those ready to roll vans are, like yours.

Sweet! I have seriously looked into finding a cargo version of those and converting it. I would still keep the Aliner to use as a base and the converted van to explore. Would even consider a RTT ( roof top tent) on a short wheelbase can. In the end, getting out there ( especially now) is goal one. It does amaze me how incredibly well laid out those ready to roll vans are, like yours.
Yeah, Winnebago did the innterior in mine, it is an ERA model. They are very good at stuffing 10 lbs of s..t in a 5 lb bag. In these times its good to travel with your own bed, even if it is also your couch and your dinnette.

With external bike racks you have to consider that if you drive through a rain storm the bikes electrics are being pelted by rain at car speeds.

Back