hub motor weird inner gear problem question

robert21

Region
USA
Hello, before opening my rear hub motor which is a part of the wheel,i wanted to ask your help with advice.
last time i open the motor i saw three outer gears co-rotating.

when i ride my bike,when i stop pedaling and the motor needs to stop working, i hear very hard gear grinding.
when i start pedaling again, the gear makes noise but start working no problem.

The most intresting happens when the motor stops working i just lift the back wheel hit it a little against the ground and the gears are fine working again.
What cause cause this issue?
Thanks.

Poor lubrication, and sometimes starts from a dead stop under load. Some motor makers are notorious for poor lubrication. There were some gear drive kits years ago without pas and starts from a dead stop without having some forward motion was really hard on the gears.

But you may have progressed and there some gear/clutch damage. ID the motor and switch out with a new motor core. You don’t mention whether this is a new event or any other details.

I've worn out gears: It just stopped pulling, but would ride fine under pedal power and didn't make any noise.
I'd say add a little thin grease. Lubriplate or petroleum jelly. Not #2 bearing grease. May help, may not. Don't pull the gears, they are a ***** to get back in again. Took 4 hands.

Failed clutch is another, Should be quiet when coasting if clutch is OK.
yes exactly,when i stop pedaling and motor is not supposed to be making any noise i hear strange roaming.
maybe it is a clutch,do you have any video how to investigate the problem

You are going to have to take the motor apart to get anywhere.

This sounds a lot like it could be loose motor magnets. Bafang fat motors on Sondors bikes in that platform's early days were infamous for this after a couple of years. Some of the motors that came off the Bafang line had magnets that were poorly glued. they still stick hard to the motor casing, but in operation, they make an absolutely godawful grinding racket for a few seconds on startup, going silent once up to a little speed, but may also make noise during operation.

You still hear the noise when not running the motor because the thing is still spinning as you move.

The repair for loose magnets is simple but a pain in the ass. Get the motor apart, number the magnets by hand so they go back together again in exactly the same order (important!) and then slide them out of the core one at a time by hand. re-glue them back into place individually and re-assemble the motor. There are Youtube vids on doing this (I can't find one specific to Bafang motors at the moment although I know they exist). You may find it to be easier just to buy a new motor core and install it.

But first... when you get the motor apart, look at the gears for damage. Getting the motor apart and then back together is pretty easy. You just have to be a little patient so the planetary gears align with the external gear ring so the motor goes back together. And don't get there by forcing it.

I just did a regular re-grease on one of my front motors yesterday afternoon, and took another one apart to examine it that same morning. I took pics of that one. The planetary assembly still in the casing can be popped out pretty easily, and then slid down onto the motor core without difficulty. There may be (probably is) a detachable key to keep the gears indexed. You can see the square slot for it in the axle hole at left on the casing. If its still in place, great. But if its missing find it! You dropped it somewhere on the table or between your feet. They are held in place only with friction. Its a little oblong metal slug. You just have to set it into a depression in the axle and then fit the motor together with that key lined up with the little hole. The pictured motor almost fell back together by itself in 2 seconds. The second motor needed about 5 minutes of jiggering and re-jiggering for the gears to line up and then it slipped back together.

20221210_121336.jpg

When you get the motor apart, if you find the nylon planetary gear assembly is chewed up you are going to need a replacement. Hopefully the central 'sun' gear will be just fine. Usually the planetaries are softer material and sacrificial.

If you see NO gear issues, my money is on loose motor magnets based on the description.

66381943_10218931843477715_5622291788816449536_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have this magical cure i found,i lift the rear wheel and drop it on the ground and the byke makes some roaring noise as if its trying to make the gears lock ,i dont sit on the byke and after as second of it struggling its starts to ride flawleslly.

I have this magical cure i found,i lift the rear wheel and drop it on the ground and the byke makes some roaring noise as if its trying to make the gears lock ,i dont sit on the byke and after as second of it struggling its starts to ride flawleslly.
That's not a cure. It will strand you someday if you don't do the repairs.

Back