Howdy y'all from West Texas!

Just recently purchased my first Ebike, a Townie Commute Go. Thanks to the riding position, carpal tunnel
syndrome is no longer a problem. Even though I'm in my sixties, I feel like a kid again!

Nice ebike, do you have the diamond or the step through frame? How are you liking the Bosch Performance line motor so far?

Welcome to the family!

I have in-laws that live out by Clovis/Portales area about 20 miles from the west Texas and I've taken my ebike out there to ride a few times on the farm roads. You should be able to ride almost all year with weather in west Texas.

Last edited:
Nice ebike, do you have the diamond or the step through frame? How are you liking the Bosch Performance line motor so far?
I have the diamond frame. The Bosch motor is great! Most of the time I'm riding in Eco mode. I tried it out on some
trails today as a "test". It did surprisingly well, although these trails are better suited for a mountain bike. This confirms that the bike is suitable for mild trail riding in spite of its weight. Obviously it is much better suited for street use.

Welcome to the family!

I have in-laws that live out by Clovis/Portales area and I've taken my ebike out there to ride a few times to ride the farm roads. You should be able to ride almost all year with weather in west Texas.
You can, but certain times of the year are better than others. Summers are too hot! Early morning rides or night time
rides are the best. The fall is hands down the best. We have an extended "Indian Summer" in the fall. Very little
wind and pleasant temperatures. A bicyclist paradise that time of year.

Just recently purchased my first Ebike, a Townie Commute Go. Thanks to the riding position, carpal tunnel
syndrome is no longer a problem. Even though I'm in my sixties, I feel like a kid again!
Howdy right back at ya and welcome to the forum. I'm a born and raised West Texan but now living in more northern climes. I was fond of taking my mountain bike down around Ft Davis State Park and even once ran into a group of Javalinas (or Peccaries I suppose). And I used to mountain bike in Palo Duro Canyon as well. But my avatar/photo is the Franklin Mountains State Park which was almost my backyard growing up. And I have good memories of hunting fossils and arrowheads in the Guadalupe Mountains, the Pecos River, around Carlsbad etc ... but now I feel the nostalgia setting in so best get back to ebikes. How do you find that Townie? I've been eyeing that brand for my wife but most of their models seem a bit big for her - at least those I've seen at my local Trek shop.

The Townie is a bit big with those 700c tires. The ride is very nice, it's suitable for mild trail riding such as the
Wetherford to Mineral Wells trail. Are you familiar with that one? My wife and I are considering a trip up to
Palo Duro canyon this fall. I did a mini review on the Townie for "Marleen" under the Electra brand thread. Hopefully,
that will give you additional useful information. I'm considering trading in my old Trek 6000 for a Trek lift+ next
year. Depends on how much I get back into trail riding again.

Are you starting to see more ebikes on the road in your neck of the woods? I've seen more folks starting to ride over the last 4 years since I got back to riding; but, I haven't seen another ebike in my daily travels. :(

@Over50, the TownieGo does come in a low step version, still 26" wheels. If you think that's still a little large for her take a look at the Pedego Step-Thru Interceptor with 24" wheels; the overall sizing is scaled down but the same size motor & power.

Court has a Guide with suggestions for bikes for smaller people; it's a good starting point. There are also newer reviews, too.

@Katman4532, glad to hear that you're out & about in our Texas summers; happy trails!
I think you're right about the low step version being great for shorter people. I would love to get my wife on an Ebike.
I have to keep turning off the assist to let her catch up!

Are you starting to see more ebikes on the road in your neck of the woods? I've seen more folks starting to ride over the last 4 years since I got back to riding; but, I haven't seen another ebike in my daily travels. :(
Not sure who this question is directed towards, but I'll answer it for my area. So far I seem to have the only Ebike in
this area. There may be others, but I've not seen them. It certainly has generated some interest from people I've talked
to. I really think the price is what holds people back. Too bad, I can honestly say I've never had more fun bicycling in
my entire life. They have really nailed the technology on these.

I think you're right about the low step version being great for shorter people. I would love to get my wife on an Ebike.
I have to keep turning off the assist to let her catch up!
Funny. The other day I'm out in my front yard with my wife and I had just finished cleaning my Haibike. A neighbor yelled at us and said 'so you ride an ebike but you make her pedal a regular bike'?
I'm not familiar with the Mineral Wells trail you mentioned. Fall would be a much better time to try Palo Duro Canyon. I just remember some seriously large biting flies in the summer that could bite right through a shirt. Still have PTSD from those damn Texas-sized biting flies....

Back