How to ship a bike, best company, for big box?

MinnBobber

I searched for various combos of bike shipping and found nothing on shipping a bike.

What is the best option in US for shipping what seems to be an "oversized" box where FedEx, for example, states it's over their size limit? Heavy too.

Box is 71" x 46" x 9" and weight is likely 65 pounds.

It seemed like L of 69" worked and height of 39" worked but box is over that so ???

Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks

I have shipped non-electric bikes several times for bike tours. It is relatively easy to break down a bike for shipping. Lots of zip ties, bubble wrap and foam pipe covers. I also put camping gear, shoes, helmet, etc (all zip tied in) in the box as well. IMO, the best company to ship a bike is www.bikeflights.com followed by shipbikes.com. They both use Fedex. You essentially get a portion of their discount by using their company. There may be some additional issues for including an ebike battery in the shipping box.

I searched for various combos of bike shipping and found nothing on shipping a bike.

What is the best option in US for shipping what seems to be an "oversized" box where FedEx, for example, states it's over their size limit? Heavy too.

It seemed like L of 69" worked and height of 39" worked but box is over that so ???

Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks
The best solution would be to find a local shipping broker that can help in providing you with a freight carrier and rate for your shipment. There are plenty of freight carriers that can be used such as XPO Logistics, Duie Pyle, FedEx Freight, New England Motor Freight, New Penn, Estes, and Vision Express just to name a few.

I hope this is useful :)

BikeFlight. Prices can't be beat and Fed Ex/UPS will pick it up at your door or ship bike shop to bike shop. They also have boxes and everything else you may need in advance. International also. I'm starting an e-bike line (like everyone else, or so it seems) and using them for shipping. Distance based pricing: I'm in SoCal and shipping to NY is only $85, Nevada is $45. Boxed, mine weigh about the same and it is no issue.

Take front wheel off and 71" will become 58".
Take the handlebars with stem off and 46" will become 30-something.
I understand that this is how most manufacturers ship it to store - wheel(s) and stem off. No wires to disconnect.

Last edited:
Thanks. The box size is the deal-breaker with almost all shippers, as BikeFlights won't touch it. Taking front wheel off and bars going sideways sounds like the only way for reasonable shipping IF there is no battery as the e-bike price skyrockets :( Is there a best method/shipper to ship a battery separate as small/heavy/ haz cargo-- but at least it's not a giant sized heavy haz cargo ?

If you read BikeFlights FAQ on their website, they say their agents will assist you in with shipping information for the battery. "Our staff is available to discuss ways to accommodate this and give suggestions for alternative shipping methods of the separate batteries."

If you travel a lot, or travel in groups, get Hazmat certification ($29.95 online course - takes 30 minutes) and you can ship batteries with bikes as long as you follow the rules. Certification lasts 3 years. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
@MinnBobber If you can try to get a slightly smaller box from a local shop this will help. Something in the 65 x 35 x 10 should work and allow you to use common carriers like UPS, FedEx etc.... as the dimensional weights will be within their limits for their drivers to handle. Try to see if you can take the front wheel and fenders off. If not then you may have to look at a freight option.

hope this helps,

Will
shop.scooteretti.com

Scooter-- I was hoping the factory box from Stromer could be used as there is minimal takedown and reassembly required. But it is oversize for most shippers :(

In the near future I will likely want seasonal transport btwn MN and FL.
I just discovered how the E-bike shipping class gets stratospheric rates with the double/triple whammy of
Haz Mat designation and big box and heavy weight.

Would shipping battery separate from bike as Haz Mat, but small and heavy haz mat, and then bike separate at shipping rate for regular (non e-bike) be much better???

@MinnBobber The Stomer boxes are HUGE and way too big for the courier companies. I suggest that you pop by a local shop and pick up the best box from them (they should give them or charge a small fee). Then just take off the front wheel, fender, pedals and remove bars (be careful with the Stromer bars as the stem comes out differently than most bikes. Try to keep the stem in place and remove the bars. Now with that make sure you protect the fork and pad the heck out of it. Use lots of padding around the fork (not bubble wrap around the forks as they will burst during shipping).

By doing this you will be able to use the standard couriers like FedEx, UPS etc..... and it will be a lot cheaper.

Now for shipping Dangerous Goods (lithium battery), you do need to be certified and apply the appropriate labels to the box. Many couriers will want you to set up a DG account and fill in paperwork before they will accept your shipment. With the laws being enforced big time now they are becoming much more strict with this. In Canada, we are seeing a HUGE increase in enforcement here and fines being issued to those in non-compliance.

It would actually be cheaper to leave the battery in the bike and ship it as "lithium-ion batteries contained in equipment" as the DG will be the same but if shipped separately you will need to pay extra for the 2nd box. If you elect to ship is as a 2 box shipment (battery separately) then the box with the battery (nothing else in the box can be added) then you need to protect the connectors (tape is fine), bag it in an antistatic bag then identify the box as "lithium ion batteries" along with the correct required labels.

So, in short, this is not going to be easy and it's not cheap.

My opinion is to see if there are any DG certified bike dealer near you. You may find their rates are better and they would already have a DG shippers account set up.

FYI - Personally I always pay for the insurance on the value of the bike in case of damage.

hope this helps,

Will
shop.scooteretti.com

When I was contemplating bringing my bike with me to Hawaii from NC, I checked with my LBS where I originally bought the bike to see if they would be willing to pack and ship it for me and they told me they do it all the time. In the end, I sold my bike to a friend who was in need of one and bought a new one when I got here.

@PCDoctorUSA agree it’s really tough for a consumer to ship large DG items. One of shipments are expensive.

For shops like ourselves the $$ makes sense because we have volume with these carriers which justifies shipping pretty much anywhere but that took time and it wasn’t easy at the beginning either.

The best bet sometimes is to contact your local carrier and ask who they use locally who can pack and ship DG items. Most major hubs will have 1-2 companies that do this.

Regards,

Will
shop.scooteretti.com

BikeFlight. Prices can't be beat and Fed Ex/UPS will pick it up at your door or ship bike shop to bike shop. They also have boxes and everything else you may need in advance. International also. I'm starting an e-bike line (like everyone else, or so it seems) and using them for shipping. Distance based pricing: I'm in SoCal and shipping to NY is only $85, Nevada is $45. Boxed, mine weigh about the same and it is no issue.

I need to amend my recommendation in case anyone else uses this thread in the near future. Bike Flights only ships class 1 e-bikes. Instead, use shipbikes.com. Heavy. Large. Batteries. All good. If it rejects your e-bike because of weight, call them. The weight limitation can be lifted if the box is large enough. They also sell extremely durable/reusable bike boxes if you are in need. They run about $100-150, but if you ship often it will pay for itself by limiting any chance of damage while in transit. California to NY is $127, price varies by destination. They ship for many of the e-bike companies, including mine, but much of their business is individuals. Happy trails!

Last edited:
H2O Logistics will ship e-bikes. They were one of the companies recommended by Luna Cycle when I was pricing out a bike from them. Strangely enough, my employer uses H2O for shipments from CA to HI. I found their price to be very fair.

Back