How to ride in the smoke.

Masks on bikes weather for smoke, dust, or microbes doesn't work for me.
Insert This is dust bowl, not smoke, or plague ....

Attachments

• 20230628_200405.jpg
    20230628_200405.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 83
It looks like a lot of the rest of the country is getting a taste of what its been like in California for the last couple of years. All of my old stomping grounds (campgrounds) are burned to a cinder. they say it'll take 35 years to regrow from meadows to forest again. So I won't see it.
Reminiscent to the dust bowl. Washington DC politicians ignored the crisis until a huge storm reached DC in 1935. Then help went west.

Well /offtopic/ awaits, but yeah the atmosphere doesn't pay much attention to borders. Or nations. Or tribes. Or families.

No smoke thankfully.... But bad air nonetheless. Our heat index was 105° today. I just got back from a quick 5 mi ride just to get my rocks off. It was completely miserable even at 9:30 at night. Yuck

No smoke thankfully.... But bad air nonetheless. Our heat index was 105° today. I just got back from a quick 5 mi ride just to get my rocks off. It was completely miserable even at 9:30 at night. Yuck
It would be helpful if you would include where....as in.....at least state/city or town .

It would be helpful if you would include where....as in.....at least state/city or town .
Kansas City. Our low will be 82° at 7:00 in the morning. ..... But the humidity is so high right now that even then will be unpleasant. Oh and buggy too. Ugghh.

Last edited:

Kansas City. Our low will be 82° at 7:00 in the morning. ..... But the humidity is so high right now that even then will be unpleasant. Oh and buggy too. Ugghh.
I am sorry. We are still fine in Central Pennsylvania.

Monitor your breathing carefully, guys. An N95 may not be enough protection if you're breathing heavily in air that bad. Remember, the seal's unlikely to be perfect.
Seriously, just pull over. No pushing it , limit times between breaks, etc., etc. That's if you are already young and healthy, not a typical EBR member.

N95 mask makes my eyes water, and won't fit under chin guard of my helmet. Fortunately, my nose runs enough to filter out smoke. Usually I mouth breathe on bike, with stopped up nose. But today (192 particles red rating) I nose breathed and just stopped more often and blew my nose.
Days of high ozone make fluid accumulate in my lungs and I cough a lot. I handle that usually by escaping the city to my summer camp 5 days a week. However state hwy dept has 7 miles of Hwy 3 being paved, 9 ' lanes limited by cones & construction equipment. 102" wide trucks will pass me in 9', happened in a 100' long construction zone 2020. I'm stuck here unless I can buy a motor that will handle hilly back roads. 350 W bafang motor burnt on 60th hill of 77 on a back road last year. I received a 500 w motor 10 days ago, still trying to figure out what length spokes to buy.
Everybody drive in circles to save $1 at the super center. All my friends do. Global warming is a myth made up by college profs to oppress the regular people.

The military calls it black flag weather... some combination of heat and humidity that means troops just can't cool down. .

Now we add a smoke that literally leaves a heat trapping film on people 's skin. Deathly.

Last edited:
I wear long sleeves long pants, dark blue, in hot sunny weather. Cotton of 65/35 mix wicks the sweat off to the outside to cool. White cotton/poly gloves. I'm never so hot as when I get sunburned. You have to get used to it. Turn up the airconditioning to 80 to get used to summer heat. Exercise outside often enough in heat, your capillaries open up. I learned to wrap up in the heat from my band director, that marched us 2 hours in the heat of Houston 5 days a week starting out in July, 65. That was on an asphalt training field. We had no water fountain available. After that I would walk home a mile. They would arrest teachers for training students like that these days. I weighed 110 lb those days, same height. Weren't any fat kids in our marching band. I'm 160 lb now, probably couldn't handle Houston anymore.
In heat if your heart starts racing or you stop sweating, or you get dizzy, stop right now and get in the shade or indoors. SIt down. Drink frequently. When I unloaded trucks in Houston summer heat 1970, I would sweat out and drink a gallon a day.

Last edited:
I am now in your weight range and 5 foot 7 or 8 maybe. Long sleeve white shirts,blue jeans and any flat shoe is my bike dress but you ride for hours , I ride for minutes.
I'll just buy white jeans and maybe drop the helmet if it's really hot.

I did my ride this morning while I could. It was overcast and was really was fairly pleasant with the bicycle produced breeze. Now we are heading to 103 degrees by mid afternoon....high humidity....and I'd guess the heat index will be closer to 110 degrees. I feel lucky to get my ride on days like this. Now I can get some work done without wondering when I will be able to ride again.

Back