How to post photos

ebikemom

Hi all, looks like the "photo" icon/button isn't there any more, or at least not consistently. You can put in a photo by dragging and dropping. When you do, it also offers a "thumbnail" option. Please choose that if a large photo isn't important, as it saves space on the forum.

Test posts are below. Go for it if you'd like!

Thanks to Angela M. for figuring this out for us! You rock, Angela!!!

Last edited:
Drag & drop

pexels-photo-459793.jpeg

Thumbnail--select "thumbnail" after dragging/dropping.

pexels-photo-459793.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Attachment

Attachments

• pexels-photo-459793.jpeg
    pexels-photo-459793.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 257
All three were visible to me. There used to be an upload and insert function on the action icon row. It looks like some still have it and others do not.

Wow. Looks like poster can insert larger images again with drag and drop and not have to use thumbnails.

Does that affect the forum's bandwidth?

@harryS , yes, I understand that "best practices" for this forum is to use thumbnails when possible. :)

I'm giving it a try! Here's a photo from today--Snowstorm #2 starts in Seattle ... this has put a serious cramp in my ebiking!
Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 6.29.26 PM.png
I also noticed it seems to give the "photo" button in the toolbar if I hit "reply" or "edit," but not if I just type something in the open box ... hmmm... I don't know why, but at least it is quite simple to post photos even without that button.

Does that affect the forum's bandwidth?
Harry
What affects the forum's bandwidth is file size which is not necessarily linked to the display size.

Here is an example using a photo taken on today's ride. The 'already-displayed' photo is similar in size to photos that I usually post; the photo attached as a thumbnail is straight from my iPhone 6 – an old model that does not produce files as large as current smartphones.

So… which photo has the larger file size? (Hint: one photo is more than seven times larger than the other.)
2019_02_09_01_b.jpg

No prizes for guessing that the 'already-displayed' photo above (354 kilobytes) is way smaller than the innocent-looking attachment whose thumbnail links to an unnecessarily large file (2567 kilobytes).

Of course, thumbnails can link to small files – but how often does that happen? Example: Clicking on the Seattle snowstorm thumbnail in the previous post will open a photo which is sixteen times larger (5653 kilobytes!) than my 'already-displayed' photo. Now, that's using bandwidth! Most likely, neither poster nor mobile data user (includes me) will know.
David

Attachments

• 2019_02_09_01.jpg
    2019_02_09_01.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 285
There used to be an upload and insert function on the action icon row. It looks like some still have it and others do not.
Here are two solutions…

1. Command–P in macOS (Control–P in other systems) will open the drop image box even though its icon is not in the menu bar. This is a bit unexpected as this shortcut is customarily associated with the print option.
cmd_p.jpg

2. Type anything and click 'Post reply'. Now, click 'Edit' and the full menu bar will be there!

Keep in mind when you say thumbnail, what displays in the form is the "tiny" image… But that tiny image itself is of course clickable to view it at a larger size… So it makes the forums load much faster for instance, on mobile devices, if we always insert the thumbnail. But any reader can click on the thumbnail, to blow the photo up to a larger, practical size for looking at the details… once you click the thumbnail, the photo opens in a dedicated photo viewer, and if the thread author had posted say, five thumbnails, while you're in that photo viewer applet for the first thumbnail , you can simply advance through all five at full-size. It's very handy!

I am wise enough to limit image sizes to about 800-1000 pixels for forums. It just has more impact in the "show us where you ride" thread to skip the thumbnails.

Hi all, looks like the "photo" icon/button isn't there any more, or at least not consistently. You can put in a photo by dragging and dropping. When you do, it also offers a "thumbnail" option. Please choose that if a large photo isn't important, as it saves space on the forum.

Test posts are below. Go for it if you'd like!

Thanks to Angela M. for figuring this out for us! You rock, Angela!!!

I've always used the "Attach files" button in the reply window to post a photo. There used to be an option of posting full size or thumbnail. The full size option has been gone for a while. Thumbnail is there. Thumbnails work better for mobile devices. Seems that's the way of viewing for many these days.

attach files ebr 2.JPG

Perhaps is the dividing line is mac versus pc, although I used to get the lower action icon bar with the insert photo icon between link and smiley.

The photo below of tallpaul and me was inserted using the control/p command.
Two comments…
  1. The photo of A&TP has a small file size (less than 300 kB) because pixel dimensions (960x1280) are 'just right' – exactly in keeping with Harry's suggestion. My guess is that the photo posted is between 10 and 15% of the original's file size.
  2. Go back to the Alaskan/Tall Paul post and click 'Edit'; I hope that you'll find that the action icon bar has changed to the lower version in my reply to Angela and now includes the 'Drop Image' icon.

Back