How to measure voltage on a Bosch Power Tube with a multimeter?

rajron

I looked but couldn’t find information on this with Google and I got lost with the forum search engine.
How do you measure voltage on a 36V Bosch Power Tube with a multi meter?
Or is it possible without taking things apart?

Why should you do it? Cannot read the battery percentage on your display? :)

Yes I can read the bars on the battery and I can read the power levels on the Purion but, I remove the battery to charge and have to guess the voltage with the five bar indicator, +/- 20%, thought it would be nice to be able to see actual voltages so I can idle, or charge to precise voltages.

Seems like a lot of work for an uncertain payoff.
How is it done? A lot of work is not what I am interested in, I just don't know how to do it. I thought there would be a point where I could attach a multi meter.

How is it done? A lot of work is not what I am interested in, I just don't know how to do it. I thought there would be a point where I could attach a multi meter.
I'm with you on this sort of thing. I have 3 packs with 5 pins on each and I don't know the percentage without being in the bike. I know where to measure the voltage when its in the bike, but I don't know the + and - contacts on the battery. Two reasons I haven't stressed over the issue is the packs are working well and I've seen several members report accidentally touching the probes on a meter and damaging their packs.

So until there's a really good reason to measure, I'll leave well enough alone. It isn't too big a deal to install the pack to see the percentage of charge. Curiosity killed the cat🙂

I'm with you on this sort of thing. I have 3 packs with 5 pins on each and I don't know the percentage without being in the bike. I know where to measure the voltage when its in the bike, but I don't know the + and - contacts on the battery. Two reasons I haven't stressed over the issue is the packs are working well and I've seen several members report accidentally touching the probes on a meter and damaging their packs.

So until there's a really good reason to measure, I'll leave well enough alone. It isn't too big a deal to install the pack to see the percentage of charge. Curiosity killed the cat🙂
I read several other posts indicating the importance of knowing the actual battery voltage to improve battery life by controlling the voltages more precisely – oh well; if it isn’t that easy to get the voltage I will just accept it as it is -ignorance is bliss.

I read several other posts indicating the importance of knowing the actual battery voltage to improve battery life by controlling the voltages more precisely – oh well; if it isn’t that easy to get the voltage I will just accept it as it is -ignorance is bliss.
That is related to the cheap Chinese "e-bikes" :) Honestly, you could always replace your Purion with Nyon 21 but that costs money.

That is related to the cheap Chinese "e-bikes" :) Honestly, you could always replace your Purion with Nyon 21 but that costs money.
I am thinking of upgrading my display but before I do that I want a seat post, and maybe a dual battery, I know there is an upgrade to the Kiox but I didn't know there was an upgrade to the Nyon from the Purion - will check it out.

? There are only three holes +, - and unlabeled there are just so many combinations and believe me they do not work.
If there are two hole marked + and - do they not work to get a reading?
Can you see if there is a metal contact in those holes that you can reach with your probes?

If there are two hole marked + and - do they not work to get a reading?
Can you see if there is a metal contact in those holes that you can reach with your probes?
There is a button on the battery to turn on the LED’s which indicate percentage of PWR which only stays on for a couple of seconds at most.
Without pushing the button it read only one millivolt, or maybe just noise.
Pushing the button I only read millivolts and even then it was bouncy and not repeatable
51419613627_1cb1a43381_c.jpg

Battery
51420357521_150f256950_c.jpg

Plug from charger

Is your meter setup right?
1. Black probe in center/common hole.
2. Red probe in right hole.
3. Set dial to DC voltage to correct range for your battery.

I am thinking of upgrading my display but before I do that I want a seat post, and maybe a dual battery, I know there is an upgrade to the Kiox but I didn't know there was an upgrade to the Nyon from the Purion - will check it out.
I'd want a seat post on every bike I rode. LOL Doesn't your bike have a charging port on the frame? Read the voltage there with the bike turned on. I've never done it, but makes sense to me. By the way, I've been charging my Bosch batteries to 100% since May 2016. I've not noticed a horrible degrade, and I trust the engineers at Bosch when the instructions say to charge until the charger shuts off. I now have 3 Bosch powered eBikes and they all get full charges, all the time.

I'd want a seat post on every bike I rode. LOL Doesn't your bike have a charging port on the frame? Read the voltage there with the bike turned on. I've never done it, but makes sense to me. By the way, I've been charging my Bosch batteries to 100% since May 2016. I've not noticed a horrible degrade, and I trust the engineers at Bosch when the instructions say to charge until the charger shuts off. I now have 3 Bosch powered eBikes and they all get full charges, all the time.
Yes there is a charge port on the bike but I have never used it, even so I don't know how I would hook up the meter without splicing wires, don't really want to do that. I didn't quite get what you meant about charging 100%, were you saying it is good, or is it bad??

After reading other posts on the Nyon I think I want one, but, the boss says slow down on spending so my priority will be the seat post first.
well you cant get one right now anyway so see the temptation is easier to deny. Plus you ahve to pay a shop to install it. they ahve to drop the motor usually to run the new wires.

Back