How to fill battery bolt holes on Specialized Creo after removing battery?

Burning Matches

Region
USA
I have removed the internal battery from my Specialized Creo in anticipation of a vacation next week, where we are flying with our bikes. I'll be using Range Extenders in place of the internal battery. With the battery removed, the two bolts that hold the battery in place cannot be rethreaded into the down tube. The threads are on the battery itself.

For those who have ridden with your internal battery removed, how did you temporarily fill these holes? I don't want to leave them unfilled, since they could allow dirt, water and other debris flinging up from the front wheel to get into the frame. I could possibly put a nut on the lower one to thread the bolt into, reaching in through the bottom (with the motor removed), but the upper hole is way too far up to reach with a nut.

Any ideas?

y4m7kuAjQ7Pe1W4SAfyTopFcmIX9-C32CsdBTkyH1lwxAOVoWdVvAYZcDc5hvIRAAulXyrRJN1jWkdpH5zZyr-E67H2EDU0GvxgzKag82COog1r0xEXm54FGSjif2FYTbQq7vTPse2HXpsebYm5cSgPaaJ9K6h3bBbsolUXlvc_8NTQdIy480K4kdmBL-1wki7Y

I have a 3d printer so I might try to 3d print a plug. But some tape would also work!

Some shoe goo or similar thicker silicone caulk or glue. But one that does not cure hard so you can punch it out later.

I have removed the internal battery from my Specialized Creo in anticipation of a vacation next week, where we are flying with our bikes. I'll be using Range Extenders in place of the internal battery. With the battery removed, the two bolts that hold the battery in place cannot be rethreaded into the down tube. The threads are on the battery itself.

For those who have ridden with your internal battery removed, how did you temporarily fill these holes? I don't want to leave them unfilled, since they could allow dirt, water and other debris flinging up from the front wheel to get into the frame. I could possibly put a nut on the lower one to thread the bolt into, reaching in through the bottom (with the motor removed), but the upper hole is way too far up to reach with a nut.

Any ideas?

y4m7kuAjQ7Pe1W4SAfyTopFcmIX9-C32CsdBTkyH1lwxAOVoWdVvAYZcDc5hvIRAAulXyrRJN1jWkdpH5zZyr-E67H2EDU0GvxgzKag82COog1r0xEXm54FGSjif2FYTbQq7vTPse2HXpsebYm5cSgPaaJ9K6h3bBbsolUXlvc_8NTQdIy480K4kdmBL-1wki7Y
How hard was it to remove the battery? And do you think realigning those holes will be easy enough for reversing the process? I was just talking with a friend and mentioning flying with the bike requires removing the main battery.

How hard was it to remove the battery? And do you think realigning those holes will be easy enough for reversing the process? I was just talking with a friend and mentioning flying with the bike requires removing the main battery.
Not that hard; takes about 20 minutes once I learned what all needed to be removed. There is a YouTube video somewhere of a guy showing the process. However, IIRC he removes the entire crank to get access to one of the drive side motor bolts, which is not necessary. Instead I take off the chainring to get to that bolt, which is way easier than removing the crank arm. Five 5mm allen bolts and it slips right off. I've reinstalled the battery just to make sure I could do it. No issues getting it back in. The hardest part is getting the motor fitted back into the frame and aligned with the bolt holes. One of bolts has a spacer on the inside of the frame, which can be tricky to hold in place while trying to also hold the motor and slip in the bolt. But it is totally doable.

I used 2 small squares of electrical tape. I also made sure the battery connector wire hanging loose in the downtube was covered with plastic to make sure it did not get wet somehow. And yes there is a spacer on one of the motor bolts that is easy to misplace and finicky to keep in place as you thread that bolt. As I recall that bolt should be the first one that goes back after removing the battery.

Not that hard; takes about 20 minutes once I learned what all needed to be removed. There is a YouTube video somewhere of a guy showing the process. However, IIRC he removes the entire crank to get access to one of the drive side motor bolts, which is not necessary. Instead I take off the chainring to get to that bolt, which is way easier than removing the crank arm. Five 5mm allen bolts and it slips right off. I've reinstalled the battery just to make sure I could do it. No issues getting it back in. The hardest part is getting the motor fitted back into the frame and aligned with the bolt holes. One of bolts has a spacer on the inside of the frame, which can be tricky to hold in place while trying to also hold the motor and slip in the bolt. But it is totally doable.
I did it with my Turbo Vado SL 5.0. When reinstalling battery turn bike over on ground (rather than using bike stand) so that gravity can help get the battery back in. It was a little tight on my bike. If you can fly Alaska Air, no charge for bike even if over size and weight.

Burning Matches : What airline will you use and what advance arrangements have you made, if any, to carry the range extenders as carry on. After your trip, share what countries you visited and what challenges, if any, you encountered with airport security, charging batteries, etc. And, what's your Creo's weight with the battery removed? Thanks.

Back