How to Choose the best bike

kimatthecreek

I've been checking various posts and forums but can't seem to get this figured out. I am a 60 year old woman, I weigh 250lbs and I'm 5'4". I live in a fairly hilly area of the West Coast of British Columbia. I know that I will need to have a robust motor to carry me up the hills that I can't pedal my way up. I have no idea at all what to look for when reading and comparing the stats about various bikes. I am not at all mechanically inclined in that way. How do I know that a bike is strong enough for my voluptuous body?

any local bike shops,a.k.a lbs you might talk to and perhaps rent or test drive? so many options it does get confusing.

If you don't have a local shop that sells and supports a suitable bike for you, then I recommend David Elderton of Hilleater bikes. He's based out of Saltspring Island, and I think he's great. He carries Juiced, but has also started making his own bikes. Good value for money and David has provided great support to me.

I'm sure if you get over to Saltspring that David would let you test ride bikes and there are some pretty good hills on Saltspring.

PS - My sister has lived on the Sunshine Coast for 30+ years. She retired from teaching a number of years ago. Her kids went to Elphinstone.

I've been checking various posts and forums but can't seem to get this figured out. I am a 60 year old woman, I weigh 250lbs and I'm 5'4". I live in a fairly hilly area of the West Coast of British Columbia. I know that I will need to have a robust motor to carry me up the hills that I can't pedal my way up. I have no idea at all what to look for when reading and comparing the stats about various bikes. I am not at all mechanically inclined in that way. How do I know that a bike is strong enough for my voluptuous body?

Kim, are you in the city or country? Pavement or dirt riding? It's hard to give you advice with the limited information you've provided. What is your budget? I live in Vernon. My best hill climber is a Biktrix Juggernaut I have the HD but the Ultra has torque sensing although I don't find my Ultra a better climber than my HD. 3" tires are a nice compromise. PM if you care to discuss anything. You'll get lots of good advice here.

Oh, do you live in Roberts Creek?

You should brush up on what you're talking about. The Juggernaut comes with a Bafang BBSHD or the Ultra drive, Biktrix sell a lot of bikes, stick to what you know. There's a reason people are always criticizing your posts.

"Not mechanically inclined" = find a local bike shop if that's a possibility. If you can't find one with a bike that suits you, make a second pass asking if they would be willing to work on an e-bike they didn't sell. Concern is the fact there's a lot of shops that look down on e-bikes (any e-bike), and other's that won't work on anything they didn't sell.

How to choose?

Ride as many as you can in your price range.
This.

Vancouver has several ebike shops, Victoria probably too. They will also address the concerns that you haven't mentioned in this thread - area of driving, fitness, upright position, length of trip (=battery and motor specs) etc.

Without skills necessary for DIY servicing, there is no other choice but to go to LBS. Don't buy anything online that offer no local service, ex. RAD have show-room in Vancouver and might let you test-drive, but this company has no local service, same as many bikes found at Upzy, Amazon etc. Not that RAD is that bad, - it's just that it doesn't fit your scenario.

If you don't have a local shop that sells and supports a suitable bike for you, then I recommend David Elderton of Hilleater bikes. He's based out of Saltspring Island, and I think he's great. He carries Juiced, but has also started making his own bikes. Good value for money and David has provided great support to me.

I'm sure if you get over to Saltspring that David would let you test ride bikes and there are some pretty good hills on Saltspring.

PS - My sister has lived on the Sunshine Coast for 30+ years. She retired from teaching a number of years ago. Her kids went to Elphinstone.
Saltspring is 3 ferries away so an unlikely stop for me. I love the sunshine coast!!
Kim, are you in the city or country? Pavement or dirt riding? It's hard to give you advice with the limited information you've provided. What is your budget? I live in Vernon. My best hill climber is a Biktrix Juggernaut I have the HD but the Ultra has torque sensing although I don't find my Ultra a better climber than my HD. 3" tires are a nice compromise. PM if you care to discuss anything. You'll get lots of good advice here.
Oh, do you live in Roberts Creek?
Yes I live in Roberts Creek. So mostly pavement. I have a good budget, I want to get what works for me because I don't live in proximity to repairs, etc. Thanks for your suggestions I'll look at them.

She said he's not mechanically inclined.
Ebikes are believe or not, very confusing to people that are not familiar with it.

You mentioned torque sensing, but I doubt average people would know the difference between torque sensing and cadence sensing.
Mid drive and rear hub drive, direct hub drive vs geared hub, what speed controller and BMS is, etc.

For example, Biktrix Jaggernaut, most people have never heard of that brand or bike, HD (you meant hub drive) and Ultra (Bafang Ultra Motor) 3" tire (3" refereed as width), those things are very confusing. o_O

Anyways, me personally, I'd recommend Amego Infinite Plus Step-Thru
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
(Only Rose Gold and Space Grey will be available if you choose 26 inch option)

Reason:
26 inch wheel option will give better climbing capability due to mechanical advantage. (although 27.5 inch will do just fine)
Also 26 inch slightly lower the step height.
Good components and easy to ride posture, I think Juiced or other MTB-style frame isn't relaxing.
Good price, Amego generally has good reputation.
amego-amego-infinite-plus-step-thru.jpg

EBR Amego Infinite reviews:
Thank you. So helpful!

I have a good budget, I want to get what works for me because I don't live in proximity to repairs, etc.
Everything breaks. You need to find a shop in a reasonable proximity that will service and troubleshoot both mechanical and electrical system of e-bike. Many non-powered bike shops won't even touch e-bikes.

Now, "what will work for you" is hard to tell without trying. Hilly area and heavy rider - I would say at least 500W motor, 750W better yet. Step-through frame (available on many bikes) makes sense with your age and height, and probably small frame size too (think 15-18", not 19-20"). Frame size = length of a seat post measured from the crank. The longer the post, the longer legs are needed.

It's nice not to be on a limited budget, but bikes with a throttle have lower-priced motors anyway.

All I can tell you is that not all bike dealers are the same. Do your research about each dealer close to you. I didn't and made a bad decision based on emotion, not research. You might start by entering the name of a bike dealer in your area and a Google ad will appear on the right. Typically people post reviews, pro and con, on businesses they have patronized. I wish I had done this with the dealer I used. The negative posts matched exactly what I experienced. The owner responded to every google post trying to justify what the buyer experienced. These dealers are not concerned about fit of the bike and finding one that is best for the owner to have a good experience. Make the sale and forget them.

I think you would do well with the Rad Runner, for $1299 it a lot of bang for the buck. Rad Power Bikes is out of Seattle, Washington with great reviews and service.

Back