How to calculate battery charge cost

DonWerner

Hey guys,

I was wondering of any could tell me how to calculate the battery charge cost of a 500watt/13.4ah ebike battery? How many kwh do a 500watt battery contain and how many watts do the 2A Bosch charger use?

I figured it out myself. The 2A charger produces 460 watt an hour and with a charging time of 7 hours its about 3.2kwh for a full charge.

Not worried about the charging cost, just curious and needed to know the circa cost when I am going to ask my employer if I can charge my bike at their expense everyday, while at work. :)

• “ Multiply the battery voltage and amp hour rating to get watt hours ie. 360 volt 10 amp hour battery has 360 watt hours (divide by 1,000 to get Kilowatt hours)
  • Check your local electricity prices, the average cost per Kilowatt hour in the USA at the time of this guide was $0.12
  • Multiply the Kilowatt size of your battery by the cost per Kilowatt hour electrical rate ie. .36 and $0.12 = a complete charging cost of $0.0342 or roughly four cents
  • Estimate your trip distance cost by dividing the charge cost by the average range of your battery pack… I estimate the lowest range per charge by dividing the watt hour capacity of the pack by 20 ie. 360 / 20 = 18 miles per charge and now we divide $0.0342 by 18 to get $0.00171 per mile. That’s less than two tents of a penny per mile on an electric bike looking at electricity alone!"

• “ Multiply the battery voltage and amp hour rating to get watt hours ie. 360 volt 10 amp hour battery has 360 watt hours (divide by 1,000 to get Kilowatt hours)
  • Check your local electricity prices, the average cost per Kilowatt hour in the USA at the time of this guide was $0.12
  • Multiply the Kilowatt size of your battery by the cost per Kilowatt hour electrical rate ie. .36 and $0.12 = a complete charging cost of $0.0342 or roughly four cents
  • Estimate your trip distance cost by dividing the charge cost by the average range of your battery pack… I estimate the lowest range per charge by dividing the watt hour capacity of the pack by 20 ie. 360 / 20 = 18 miles per charge and now we divide $0.0342 by 18 to get $0.00171 per mile. That’s less than two tents of a penny per mile on an electric bike looking at electricity alone!"
10 kW is about 1 euro så around 1 euro for 3 charges ?

So, the ACTUAL charging of battery was 7 HRS at 400watts? That’s not Pennies Ronin2000. Were talking real money now. If I had a 400w stereo bumping for 7hrs a day?

So, the ACTUAL charging of battery was 7 HRS at 400watts? That’s not Pennies Ronin2000. Were talking real money now. If I had a 400w stereo bumping for 7hrs a day?
No, you confuse Watts (W) which is power with Watt-hours (Wh) which is energy. The cost of charging a 400 Wh battery is roughly the cost of 0.4 kWh. The charging power in the example would be 400 Wh / 7 hours = 57 W.

Back