How Safe Is Your Local Bike Path?

I ride a mix of roads and trails. I made my own mask from a red bandana napkin, elastic and a hot glue gun. I’ve recently started wearing the mask only on the trails, not because I’m worried but why not? Why take a chance however small. It doesn’t bother me while riding.

However I typically ride between 7:30 and 8 am. I rarely see anyone on the trails other than a couple of dog walkers and joggers. If I get out of the house but 7 am, I see no one. That will change, unfortunately when Southern Delaware opens its beaches for the late Spring and Summer tourists.

Where I live, the lockdown is scheduled to be lifted on 5/8. When this happens, I'd like to get back to riding my local bike trails. Post lockdown, social distancing is still required. Keeping a 6 foot separation from others isn't possible on most of the trails I ride. I normally don't frequent crowded trails and most encounters are brief and occur when passing others. What are the chances of contracting the virus by riding through a "cloud" of moisture droplets from a cough or sneeze made by a fellow trail user?

I know there is no real answer to this question and little on the subject has been posted on line. I'm interested in the opinion of other riders and what they plan to do. Wearing a mask, using a helmet with a full face shield or just plain staying home are all considerations. Any other ideas or suggestions?
I guess it helps a lot to live in a place where few other people live year round. If I ride the bike trails at my local park during the week I rarely see another person and if I ride them on a week end I think I've run across at most maybe 10 other people in all. Once the summer gets here I expect that to change.

I rode 30 miles on a rail trail today. There were plenty of people out, but it wasn’t crowded. Some had masks or facecoverings but not nearly all. I didn’t feel any threat and didn’t get the feeling anyone else did either. Since I rode from Sarasota to Venice there were a LOT of older, retired people.

Are there clouds of Coronavirus hanging over the trail? I find it doubtful, but I guess time will tell.

I rode 30 miles on a rail trail today. There were plenty of people out, but it wasn’t crowded. Some had masks or facecoverings but not nearly all. I didn’t feel any threat and didn’t get the feeling anyone else did either. Since I rode from Sarasota to Venice there were a LOT of older, retired people.

Are there clouds of Coronavirus hanging over the trail? I find it doubtful, but I guess time will tell.
Corona virus isn't something that's visible or tangible, so no, you're not going to feel threatened. That's all psychological based on your comfort level of the potential exposure. If you're unlucky and happened to pass by a spot where the virus was still lingering in the air, then you would catch it. Remember, all it took for this pandemic to spread to over 3 million people in the world was one person and carelessness. Indeed, only time will tell.

No mask will stop the corona virus. It's particles are 0.1 to 0.2 microns. Even a N95 respirator mask will not stop it. The virus is not floating around in the air when we ride our bikes or walk. The only safety issue is if you or I are infected and cough or sneeze and we are under 6' apart from each other. So being outside is much safer than being inside in an enclosed space.

The virus is not floating around in the air when we ride our bikes or walk.
Actually it can linger in the air for a short period. So, if someone who was in that spot with COVID-19 and sneezed and you happen to ride or walk through that spot few seconds later, you can get infected.
No mask will stop the corona virus. It's particles are 0.1 to 0.2 microns. Even a N95 respirator mask will not stop it.
Based on your logic, there's no point in wearing any mask at all in the hospitals treating COIVID-19 patients.

The chance of infection while riding a trail is fairly small and certainly no greater than in a supermarket. The only difference is the social distances involved.

Best advice is to assume every other person you see is infected. Whether you ride or not really depends on how much risk you are willing to take.

One study indicates a cyclist without a mask may have a contrail up to 20-30'. FWIW.

The chance of infection while riding a trail is fairly small and certainly no greater than in a supermarket. The only difference is the social distances involved.

Best advice is to assume every other person you see is infected. Whether you ride or not really depends on how much risk you are willing to take.

Disclaimer: JMHO

I tend to think the opposite. I think a supermarket is far safer than a bike trail if both have the same volume of people using the area. Yes, a supermarket is less space and people cross paths far more often, but with a supermarket the pace is considerably slower, 3mph or less, so the probability of any virus being expelled is greater for it to fall out of the air before it interacts with another human. People can always judge if they want to walk down an aisle where another person is, and have options for choosing another path to avoid people as much as possible. Finally, in a supermarket, you can actively avoid all air space around people who are not wearing masks. You simply go a different way, down a different aisle, and/or wait until that person has long gone from whatever shelves/aisleway you want to access. In supermarkets, more people wear masks, which does help (a bit). Finally, a supermarket has the power to limit occupancy to maintain a maximum number of people inside, to mandate masks be worn, to check temperatures of customers prior to entry, and to remove all incentive for "impulse shopping" by having no free food or product demonstrations. The environment is more controlled to limit exposure by imposing strict guidelines that are followed by the store and it's staff, and by default, the customers.

The bike path has a cyclist imprisoned. They have no choices except to turn around and go the opposite way, no escape avenues, if someone ahead of them sneezes or coughs. The rate of speed cycling, and the height of a cyclist's face, and lack of masks makes it far more likely another cyclist will go through a recently expelled air pocket that hold the virus ...if the person(s) in front of them are infected. Fresh air notwithstanding, the studies made on air turbulance show that particles (virus and bacteria) in expelled breath are more likely to be pushed higher, stay aloft far longer (because of the turbulance), and fall to the ground much slower than breath exhaled at a standstill (due to the nature of air movement in a naturalized enviroment via breezes or other objects moving at speed in the area (this also includes birds flying in the air space of the expelled breath). Breath at higher speeds are also more likely to disburse in a wider pattern than those of a stationary or slow speed expelled breath. Also, without a limited occupancy, or any authority to control social distance, etc. a bike path is an open market free-for-all.

There isn't enough money on this planet to induce me to ride on a public bike path at the moment. I think the streets are far safer, virus wise, than a shared use path. And more acceptable than cycling around a supermarket, although that prospect is an entertaining thought.

Another disclaimer: I'm a former foxhunter (40 years) and former whip (over 10 years) with a recognized hunt. We were taught to watch the hounds closely as they followed a line to see where their noses were. A good scent left on the ground by the "correct" passing game (red fox) meant the pack ran with lowered heads, noses close to the ground. But let a breeze or bit of wind come into play, and (especially if you had the chance to see the fox lay the tracks) you will also observe how the hounds will go "off course", following the scent as it drifted UP OFF THE GROUND into the air and moved in the direction of the wind. If you saw the hounds start to raise their heads, you knew the scent was moving away and up from where it had been laid. If the hounds seemed uncertain, or cast themselves wider and wider over a supected line with little to no music, you knew right away that scent was old, and that it had probably laid too long and now had dissipated to nothing on the ground/in the air. If you ever saw a hound (or worse, hounds) running with heads high, you knew they were running riot on deer because of how that scent is "laid" (which is airbourne from scent glands on the legs, not from the foot pads like a fox). That's when you, as a staff member, had to step in to discourage the riot and get the hounds back to looking for the correct game. The reason that all hunting is in the fall and winter is because it affords the best surface (cold and dry) for the scent to remain where it was placed, and strongly viable to a hound's nose well beyond when it was first laid ("hot"). Wet is good, too. Wet holds scent, particles in the air. Hot and humid is worse because the scent doesn't remain on the ground, but very quickly rises and disperses into the upper air, making it hard for the hounds to detect, especially if the scent is high enough to be over their heads. There have been times that my poor excuse for a nose (ie: human) distinctly smelled the fox, while the hounds below me didn't, only because the warm air rose from the ground up to my face level (which was high because I was on a horse), taking the scent with it. There was also one time (thank goodness my huntsman never saw) on a winter hunt where the air did not move upwards, that I stood right on top of a very hot line, laid only a minute or so ago, and never knew it. The pack came at me in full cry, parted like the Red Sea around me and my ever patient hunter, and converged again in one fluid unit behind me, never once missing a beat on their dead accuracy following the line. I was right on top of that scent, and didn't know it. Couldn't smell it, see it, or even suspect it was there. But the hounds did. They knew.

The point of all the long winded history above is this: Air moves according to it's nature and takes all small/microscopic particulants and droplets with it when it moves. How scent, how particles, how anything is carried in the air, on surfaces, and in different situations, and especially how long it lingers, has become rather second nature to me from years of experience, even though I now no longer hunt. Like riding a bicycle - one never forgets. So those lessons on scent particles and how they move are ones that I tap into when thinking how a virus would ride the air around it, how it might move with fast air, how it might stay packed or dissipate, rise or fall, etc. And that fact that we can't see it, smell it, or taste it. Yet it is there, invisible. Makes me feel very, very vulnerable. Which is why I will not ride my bike where others are congregated, riding.

Last edited:
I suppose I should qualify my earlier comparison of a supermarket and a bike trail. Your post is probably more realistic for many others.

I am likely quite different than many here in the respect that I live in a rural area. The bike trails I ride are rarely busy and I ride somewhere else if they are. On my last 22 mile trail ride for example, I saw perhaps a dozen people and passed only two couples. I managed to maintain a 6' separation and passed at walking speed. The rest were never less than a hundred feet away. During 80% of the ride, there was no one else in sight. I realize this may not be typical of where others ride.

By comparison, I was in Home Depot this morning. I waited in line for 10 minutes until I was allowed in the store since they allow only 70 customers inside at any one time. The store had X's taped to the pavement 6' apart to maintain social distancing in the waiting line but few people used them. The same was true at the checkout line. I was happy to see everyone at least wore a mask though. While in the store, due to the narrow aisles and lack of one way traffic, I was passed by at least a dozen people at a distance of perhaps 4 feet.

I guess it really depends on your definitions of the terms "risk" and "busy". In my case, I can say honestly that I felt far safer on the trail than I did in the store.

I guess it really depends on your definitions of the terms "risk" and "busy". In my case, I can say honestly that I felt far safer on the trail than I did in the store.

Yup. I can certainly agree with your view. The one bike trail we have out in my locale is the W&OD. The western end is less populated, but from Leesburg east it is like I95 at rush hour. Everyone is out on that trail, and it is a madhouse of walkers, strollers, kids, cyclists, and all manner of the general population eager to get out in the fresh air.

So, it begs to repeat that each rider has to determine their own relative definition of "where am I safe enough from a highly contagious pathogen" when deciding where to cycle. The original question was one of "how safe is your bike trail". I really don't feel safe on the bike path in my area at all, but might feel more agreeable to the one in yours.

Yup. I can certainly agree with your view. The one bike trail we have out in my locale is the W&OD. The western end is less populated, but from Leesburg east it is like I95 at rush hour. Everyone is out on that trail, and it is a madhouse of walkers, strollers, kids, cyclists, and all manner of the general population eager to get out in the fresh air.

So, it begs to repeat that each rider has to determine their own relative definition of "where am I safe enough from a highly contagious pathogen" when deciding where to cycle. The original question was one of "how safe is your bike trail". I really don't feel safe on the bike path in my area at all, but might feel more agreeable to the one in yours.
That’s my old ride. Used to ride W&OD from Ashburn to Purcellville on a Trek Madone. Love that Leesburg to Purcellville section!

That’s my old ride. Used to ride W&OD from Ashburn to Purcellville on a Trek Madone. Love that Leesburg to Purcellville section!
It is a lovely ride from P'ville to Leesburg! Quiet, peaceful, not a lot of trail users, a bridle path for horses that one can use for a bike or walking if they feel like being on natural terrain rather than pavement, pretty scenery, still fairly rural. Makes a great 20 mile round trip.

Why? Vice President Pence, who leads the federal Coronavirus Task Force, does not follow their medical advice.
This is why the US has more cases than any other country. People like Pence and Trump don't want to wear a mask. Take a look at the Asian countries that have contained the virus, Singapore, South Korea, and Taiwan, everyone wears a mask. Masks work and an N95 does stop a virus.

Last edited:
These days I tried wearing a mask along with my cycling glasses. The problem I get is that, just like my winter balaclava, the mask fogs up my glasses. I had to resort to wearing my helmet with the face shield.

I usually use this helmet for night time riding where I'm in areas where the are a lot of bugs. This keeps them off my face.

During the day its very comfortable and already has UV protection so I don't need glasses underneath. The face mask doesn't fog up the shield. The shield I purchased about a year ago online and can withstand speeds up to about 32 mph before is starts to bend.

Once you wear it, its so comfortable you forget you have it on. I tried to adjust my mask once and hit my shield with my hand. Probably shouldn't have tried that anyways after touching all those crossing signal switches.

IMG_20200429_084044.jpg

This is why the US has more cases than any other country.

The following is part of a chart updated 4/29/20 and published by Worldometer: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdUOA?Si

While it is true that the US has the highest number of reported Covid cases, this number is deceiving. We are a large, populous country. A more significant way to compare statistics is the number of cases per 1M population (column 9). Here, the US ranks third, surpassed by Spain and Italy.

In reality, many suspect China actually tops the list. For political reasons, it appears they chose to drastically under report their statistics.

Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered