How much suspension travel needed?

bikeman242

How much suspension travel needed for going off a 6 inch curb?

I am concerned about buying a rigid frame eBike because I currently ride a bicycle with a front coil suspension and really appreciate the impact absorption when going off a 6 inch curb.

Would something like a redshift stem suspension on a rigid frame bike suffice for impacts of that size?

Unless I have some sort of disability preventing otherwise, I doubt seriously my butt is going to be anywhere near that seat when dropping off a curb.

That said, I will continue riding bikes with some sort of front suspension. They're easy to find, inexpensive, and offer a much better ride even when there are no curbs in sight. In short, I can deal with no rear suspension, but refuse to give up my front.

How much suspension travel needed for going off a 6 inch curb?

I am concerned about buying a rigid frame eBike because I currently ride a bicycle with a front coil suspension and really appreciate the impact absorption when going off a 6 inch curb.

Would something like a redshift stem suspension on a rigid frame bike suffice for impacts of that size?
My opinion is that a coil suspension fork is just barely better than a rigid. When going off a curb, I transfer weight back and the front tire floats off. It’s the rear suspension that makes that maneuver velvet smooth. You really get spoiled when you ride a full air suspension bike. Agreed, I’m not sitting going off a curb. I’m actually behind the seat to get the front tire up.

My opinion is that a coil suspension fork is just barely better than a rigid. When going off a curb, I transfer weight back and the front tire floats off. It’s the rear suspension that makes that maneuver velvet smooth. You really get spoiled when you ride a full air suspension bike. Agreed, I’m not sitting going off a curb. I’m actually behind the seat to get the front tire up.

So how many mm of travel would a curb hop use?

I am wondering if the 10mm on the redshift stem suspension would suffice.

The answer to that question would be no.

The Redshift stem and upcoming seatpost are meant to smooth out high frequency vibrations such as washboard surfaces, not cushion drop-offs.

This guy goes down stairs on a road bike with no suspension and thin tires:
He clearly has excellent balance to allow him to descend at slow speed and even execute turns while descending although he does admit to getting occasional pinch flats.

None of my bikes have front/rear/seat suspension although my e-fatbike (Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 with front fork swap for rigid fork) has suspension from 26 x 4 fat tires.

There is a trade off: More suspension allows you to more comfortably ride over obstacles at the expense of speed (on less bumpy surfaces) and weight/maneuverability (sharp turns). There is no right answer, and trial-and-error will lead you to the most enjoyable ride for you.

1) What size wheels and tires are you running? There will be a big difference going from 700 street tires to 2.3" 29er tires, and an even bigger difference going from there to 4"+ fat tires.

2) I grew up on BMX bikes where your body was the suspension, then transitioned to cheap spring-fork hardtails that honestly were not a whole lot better.

From my reading, and riding with friends who run expensive FS bikes (and who used to race single-track), the main advantage of FS comes from being able to continue pedaling hard in the saddle while the suspension absorbs the bumps. That is, riding over roots and rock gardens, potentially during climbs, you can stay seated and continue pedaling without getting beat up or losing traction from tire bounce.

However, for everyday commuting, Id just stand up and hop off the curb while the bike coasts. I absolutely would not buy a FS bike just for the occasional curb. In fact, I was until recently pretty set on a FS bike, and instead just ordered a rigid fattie to convert.

Back