How many times have you heard "that's cheating!"? ?

First time ride on the road, passed an a-bike and when he caught up at the lights, he said "Cheater!" but he was very friendly we talked a minute, he was just having some fun with me.

I've decided that this winter I'm going to start yelling "cheater" at my neighbors. I own a home but haven't been able to stomach buying a snow blower. Whilst I'm out laboring intensely for long periods, risking a heart attack, with my a-shovel, these yahoos that live around me exit their homes, looking calm and relaxed, and have their snow cleared in ten minutes with those noisy and smelly gas blowers. So this winter my new thing will be, as they head back into their homes without having broken a sweat, to yell "hey cheater! bet you can't do that with a shovel!". (However, I must admit, that my neighbor who sometimes clears my sidewalk with his blower, before I've had the chance, will be exempt from the cheater call).

So I remember once, navigating my kayak through a boat channel to head out for open water: there was a shirtless fellow aboard a cabin cruiser who called to me as I paddled by "that would be a lot easier with a motor - you should try it sometime". You just can't please everyone I suppose ...

Just for fun on our last e-bike ride on a popular multi use path I started yelling "CHEATER!" to other e-bikes as I passed them, or they passed me on my e-bike.. The confused looks I got were great with a few just laughing and others saying "on really? you're riding one too" When that happened, I'd look down at my battery, give them a sheepish smile and say "oh yeah, I forgot"... My wife rolled her eyes as usual and still wonders why she accepted my marriage proposal

I was riding the other day up a very slight incline with my CCS trying to catch a guy on a carbon road bike
who just kept getting farther away, Couldn't catch him even in mode #3. THAT"S CHEATING!
(to be fair I had two large loaded panniers & the bike rack at the grocery store had knocked loose
my front quick release, but that doesn't allay my humiliation!!!) 😭
The good news, We have a great new candidate for the Tour de France

I haven't heard it yet. Guess I can't hear the grousing as they grunt and puff up the hill 😉. But seriously, I get more interest and enthusiasm for the concept than anything else.

When I'm not on my a-bike,or my ebike,I'm on foot running.I never thought to yell out cheater to the peddle bikers.

When I'm not on my a-bike,or my ebike,I'm on foot running.I never thought to yell out cheater to the peddle bikers.
I'm glad we still have young athletic people who prefer to pedal unpowered, even if they do thumb their noses
at my rickety old carcass.

I think I posted somewhere in this thread that a man, walking with his son, yelled at me on my way home "cheater, you've got a motor". Well, I got a guy good tonight with a "cheater" yell of my own. I'm doing about 18 mph in a bike lane having just exited the pedestrian-heavy university district when I notice a bike gaining on me in my rearview. He exits the bike lane to pass and maybe he's doing 25 as he zoomed by with his thumb glued to the throttle (I'm assuming). Never pedaled a stroke in the three blocks where I had visibility. The nerve. I got out a good "cheater, you've got a throttle" but I don't think he heard me as he was going so fast. I was on my delimited Haibike (formerly class 1) but that is beside the point.

And all joking aside (yes, I was joking and I did not yell anything and I don't hate throttles ...), he was riding way to fast for the bike lanes in that area. Perhaps my 18ish was a tad too fast. Too many pedestrians, skateboarders, e-scooters. I pass through some other suburban bike lanes where there is rarely traffic of any sort (so maybe 25ish is ok) but that particular urban area is heavily used. He had it right when he exited and passed in the car lane but when he was behind me and when he re-entered ahead of me it was just far too fast for a bike lane just off of a university campus in an urban area. Not to mention he blew through a few stop signs...

Ouh.. since I'm were an addicted online games player, I've heard it thousand times, belive me - many of them was in my address cuz I'm play well ;)

Here's an interesting take on the "cheater" accusation. This happened to me today:

Scene: 5:30pm I'm unlocking my Vektron prior to an 18 mile ride home. 34F with headwind of 10mph and off/on light snow flurries. Fellow bike commuter comes out to bike rack as I'm half way through unlocking and setting up my bike.

Me trying to make small talk: "gonna be a chilly ride home"
Him: "temperatures like these make me glad I don't have an electric bike that does all the work for me"
Me: "beauty of electric bikes is you can choose how much work you want to do"
Him: mumbles something I didn't understand
Me: "how far is your ride by the way?"
Him: "I ride to the bus stop and home from the bus stop. My commute would be too long to do all by bike"
Me: "ok, well have a good one"
Him: mumbles something as he pedals off

So he tells me my electric bike is doing all the work for me yet doesn't see irony in the fact he is taking the bus for most of his commute? I never told him my commutes are usually about 35 miles round trip. 20 miles today for a 1/2 commute (with carpool). But I guess that's cheating ... hmmm

Him: "I ride to the bus stop and home from the bus stop. My commute would be too long to do all by bike"
Me: "ok, well have a good one"

Dude....Fixed the below for you :)

Me: "Ah man, if only you had something that would give you some assistance to get all the way home on the bike, probably be faster than the bus too"

i'll be 71 in less than 2 wks, still have 1 of 2 steel rods in my left leg, 2 severed tendons & a shattered kneecap on the other.
I've had fractured vertibra, lumbar, thorasic, & cervical, not to mention assorted other breaks, If you're under 50, that's cheating!
( Still smoked a spandexter on a carbon roady 'really' bad with a 500w mtn. bike a week or so ago.😎)

The worst offender I encountered was while riding my Escooter through Walmart and a guy says to an employee "he shouldnt be allowd in here, Its cheating". I m disabled and persecuted for riding a 2 wheeled mobility device. I casually cruised past the person who made the comment. The fellow customer reached out and grabbed my arm. I stopped to be polite and informed this man that he was going to be beaten with an electric scooter if he did not release me. The previously mentioned employee detained me and mr. grabber to call a manager over. The manager told me I could not ride my scooter in his store. and would have to transfer to one of the store scooters.I know my rights. I informed him that he was mistaken and he said he would call the police if I did not comply. I removed my phone from my pocket and told him to call the police and I will call my ADA layer and we will see who wins. He immediately backed off and I went on my way. Ignorance IS NOT bliss. FYI non traditional disability scooters and ebike are covered under the OPDMD Other Powered Mobility Disability Devices. This covers things like Golf carts, Ebikes, Escooters, Segways and pretty much any device to aid a disabled person to get around. UPDATE The manager that accosted me was sent to sensitivity retraining by Walmart. I was offered NO apology. Ride on, Ride free.

Back