How hard is it to change rear wheel with Hubdrive?

indca

Hello guys;
I want to buy an Ebike but buying online means very little support for maintenance; I am looking to buy Voltbike Nitro and I am located in Canada; I am not very handy with ebike parts and maintenance so how much work is this? Is it easy to complete this task of changing tires? Which shops would work on this maintenance part at reasonable charge?

What labopur costs should I expect when I want to change tire?

Hello guys;
I want to buy an Ebike but buying online means very little support for maintenance; I am looking to buy Voltbike Nitro and I am located in Canada; I am not very handy with ebike parts and maintenance so how much work is this? Is it easy to complete this task of changing tires? Which shops would work on this maintenance part at reasonable charge?

My regular bike shop does the maintenance on my bike and it's the same cost as a regular bike. I have not had to have anything fixed related to the electric part of the bike so I can't speak about that.

If you are not mechanically inclined, it would be best to buy your bike from a reputable LBS who would handle all your maintenance.
The difficulty in changing a rear tire varies greatly with the bike you buy. Your best bet would be to have your LBS (or yourself if you feel up to it) replace the factory tires with quality puncture resistant tires and slime filled puncture resistant tubes. This would minimize the problem by lessening the chance of getting a flat.

BTW, welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase!

If you are not mechanically inclined, it would be best to buy your bike from a reputable LBS who would handle all your maintenance.
The difficulty in changing a rear tire varies greatly with the bike you buy. Your best bet would be to have your LBS (or yourself if you feel up to it) replace the factory tires with quality puncture resistant tires and slime filled puncture resistant tubes. This would minimize the problem by lessening the chance of getting a flat.

BTW, welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase!
My regular bike shop fixes my flats at the same cost as for any other bike.

I would say your local shops would be in the best position to answer these questions. Talk to them!

Hello guys;

Welcome

When (if?) you get your bike, watch a few YouTube videos on fixing a flat tire. Read whatever documents you get with the bike, then do a practice repair in the comfort of your home. Let the air out of the tire, remove the wheel from the bike, then remove the inner tube. Reverse the process. This will give you confidence and alleviate some of the anxiety of the unknown.

When I got married way back when, my bride had never driven a car or even had a license. It wasn't long before she learned to drive and we did a practice tire change in the driveway a couple of times. It gave her confidence and alleviated my anxiety 😉

As suggested get flat protection for your tires. I would also check with your local bike shop, as many have free seminars on bike maintenance. If they don't, ask them if they will show you how to repair a puncture.

Good luck!

I've never had a flat tire away from home, so I don't carry a fixit kit when riding locally.

You might consider a linear inner tube, which takes removal of the wheel out of the loop for fixing a flat. The video is from Huffy, but I believe you can find Giaddi selling theiur own brand on amazon. I installed a 26" tube in one bike as a test case to see how it worked, and it did, so then I bought a 20" and 700cc length for my other bikes .

THe above kit won't do you any good. if you left the nail or thorn still in the tire. Sometimes, you have to remove the tire to inspect.

Labor costs vary between the stores and towns. Here is one price-list: https://www.trekbikesmississauga.com/articles/labor-rates-pg177.htm.
Expect from $15 to $30 labor for rear tire. This one has $80/hr labor, there are community-type stores with lower labor costs.

If you have ever replaced a tire on a regular bike, you will be able to do it on e-bike. There is more work - disconnecting and reconnecting the wires and (possibly) tension arm, but nothing insurmountable. Also, ebike tires are often more rigid, harder to put on. Do it at home couple of times, then it will be less stress when you do this on the road.

Better take steps to minimize the chance of flat tire, put Slime-like goo inside or use tires with puncture-protection layer like Schwalbe Plus or Green Guard.

Last edited:
Everything was a bit difficult at first, but these days there's a YouTube video for nearly every process. It's well worth learning and not being stuck when no shop is open.

I've changed the tube out on the road. it takes about as long to unload & reload the groceries in the panniers to turn the bike over, and move the display to safe position for resting on the handlebars, as to change the tube. Additional tools over a non-electric rear tire, some dikes to cut tie wraps, and a supply of new ones for the wires. The hub motor takes 18 mm & or 17 mm wrenches, whereas unpowered rear hub uses 15 mm. You also need the right wrench+screwdriver to take the torque arm off and put it back on again. My torque arm screws are #10-32 so the wrench is 11/32" or 9 mm. I use knobby off road tires to cut road flats to <1 every 2 years, but use cheap schwinn tubes from the discount store. Slime makes the valve stem leak sometimes, I don't use it. (the tires are worn out @ 2 years & ~4000 miles). I don't unplug the motor from the wires, I just cut enough wraps so I can rest the tire away from the bike while I replace the tube. Store bought bikes with hidden wires, you might have to unplug & replug the hub motor. Be sure to unplug the battery if you do that.
I'm unable to wind up the derailleur takeup with my hand, and carry a 10" channl lock plier for that most men would not need.

Back