How far can we push it?

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
I started the day with a mindset of completing a double century. Initially, it felt great but after my first 55 mile stretch, it was lunch time with a friend and I ate little too much :)
So, I'm lagging behind.
Right now, having completed 85 miles, waiting for the battery to recharge. I have at least another 5 hours of riding time and hoping to hit 175 before it's 10.30pm

Hopefully, next week it'll be a double century :) :)

Here are my Strava segments.

Pre-lunch:

http://app.strava.com/activities/324476392

http://app.strava.com/activities/324504618

Post lunch:

Check out my 29.2 mi Ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/324776983

The ride is still going on and kicking.

I will post the GoPro recordings sometime tomorrow once I process it.

Will update the final score by tonight.

Our National Bike Challenge Team sure could've used you:D Go for it Ravi!!! Interested in knowing how many amps you charge at, and how long that big battery takes to charge?

Team EBR-->>

Thanks JR.
Interesting update. I'm right now at 115 miles and waiting for the battery to recharge.

http://app.strava.com/activities/324852047

Since it's already dark, I'm thinking why not hit 200 before early morning! That will make it 200+ miles in 24 hours. Not too shabby and I feel there is a lot of room for improvement.

Coordinating breaks, lunch, dinner and charging a single battery + lugging around the charger is definitely challenging. The bike can't be pedaled without power!

I should update my profile on the National Bike Challenge page.

Did I you get 200? Didn't see you or notice you were here, welcome any time

@Ravi Kempaiah So you have 1 battery & then wait to charge it up. How long does it take to charge that Stromer battery? I think you have the perfect use case for a 2nd battery.

Then you can join in <Link Removed - No Longer Exists> next year, as you just missed this year's, which was held yesterday.

The guy in front on the left led the event in 2014. I used to work with him at my last job.

Did I you get 200? Didn't see you or notice you were here, welcome any time

I finished the night at 160 miles. Got caught in heavy rain at 1.15am !
I was drenched, the roads were slushy and it was not a pleasant experience. I thought I would crush the last 40 miles but had to cut it short to prevent catching cold or fever.

Just woke up, no bode sore :) (Thanks to Yoga)

Your house is a perfect pit stop and if you're available, next Saturday sounds good to me.

Last edited:
@Ravi Kempaiah So you have 1 battery & then wait to charge it up. How long does it take to charge that Stromer battery? I think you have the perfect use case for a 2nd battery.

Then you can join in (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) next year, as you just missed this year's, which was held yesterday.
The guy in front on the left led the event in 2014. I used to work with him at my last job.

Thanks for sharing. That race sounds like Bike version of Ragnar Race.

For such a huge battery, it takes 4.5 hours from empty to full. I was running it down to 8-10% so, I had to wait 4 hrs each time.
In total, I waited close to 10 hours waiting for it charge back up and this eats into my riding time substantially. Two such slots (4 +4), I couldn't nap/rest.

If I were to use those breaks for food + rest and plan my pit stops properly, it is possible to do 225 easily.

I mean, if a non-pro guy like me can do such a distance, anyone can! (w/ bit of training)

Thanks for sharing. That race sounds like Bike version of Ragnar Race.

For such a huge battery, it takes 4.5 hours from empty to full. I was running it down to 8-10% so, I had to wait 4 hrs each time.
In total, I waited close to 10 hours waiting for it charge back up and this eats into my riding time substantially. Two such slots (4 +4), I couldn't nap/rest.

If I were to use those breaks for food + rest and plan my pit stops properly, it is possible to do 225 easily.

I mean, if a non-pro guy like me can do such a distance, anyone can! (w/ bit of training)
Great job following you on Strava ! My computer in the bike is being replaced hope to get back to riding next week and rack up some miles

Great job following you on Strava ! My computer in the bike is being replaced hope to get back to riding next week and rack up some miles

That's awesome, John!
I replaced my OMNI on Friday, so I know your pain. Make sure it's upgraded SUI FW 1.5.0 before you take it out of the shop.

{Anyone can... 225 mi ... in 1 day... ummm no, not really anyone, even with an eBike}

Once you do 100, you'll feel much more confident of your capability. It just needs a bit of training and careful planning.
If you keep riding the way you do now, I'm sure your range will hit 40/charge by the end of this summer :)

Hmmm.... 40/charge .... that might be a stretch. I'd probably have to drop 20 lbs for that to happen. I was up 2 lbs as of last week. Wrong direction! Then there's the matter of my butt being sore after 20. :eek:

Knock! Knock!
Is this a 200 mile club? ;)

First of all, I must thank @opimax (Mark) who let me charge my batteries at his place.
@eDean and me rode together in spite of thunderstorms, rain for 65 miles. It was just epic.

The heavy rain delayed my evening rides a little but I was able to make it.

Check out my 211.4 mi Ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/329942233

Strava - map.png Pit stop - 115 miles.jpg

Now, with a single battery, there are limitations. Lenny @Crazy Lenny Ebikes will be sending a spare battery next month. I'm thinking 350 in 24 hours is a good benchmark to set :cool:

Keep looking up,
Ravi.

Enjoy your rides fellas.

Last edited:
Knock! Knock!
Is this a 200 mile club? ;)

First of all, I must thank @opimax (Mark) who let me charge my batteries at his place.
@eDean and me rode together in spite of thunderstorms, rain for 65 miles. It was just epic.

The heavy rain delayed my evening rides a little but I was able to make it.

Check out my 211.4 mi Ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/329942233

Now, with a single battery, there are limitations. Lenny @Crazy Lenny Ebikes will be sending a spare battery next month. I'm thinking 350 in 24 hours is a good benchmark to set :cool:

Keep looking up,
Ravi.

Enjoy your rides fellas.
Ravi truly epic ride! Checked out your stats on Stava i'm amazed on the range you are getting with some of the elevations . Would love to know how my custom setting you are using on the ride. I would think you are riding in the number one setting most of the time and utilizing the regenerative function on the braking. Keep up the good work!!

Last edited:
Ravi truly epic ride! Checked out your stats on Stava i'm amazed on the range you are getting with some of the elevations . Would love to know how my custom setting you are using on the ride. I would think you are riding in the number one setting most of the time and utilizing the regenerative function on the braking. Keep up the good work!!

Hi John,
The elevation that you see is consolidated over the length of the ride, I don't think any ebike can handle 6000+ ft climb and still provide that long of a range :)
For the initial 100 miles, I used level 1 with occasional level 2. After the first 100, it was mostly level 2. I have set the speed/agility such that I can cruise at ~23mph and still get 60 miles/charge.

It's a strange feeling. After few of these century rides, now 30 mile commute seems like a joke.

Back