How far can we push it?

60 miles / charge is awesome!

You're welcome to join me during my next ride.
If you don't get 60/charge, I'm here to push you. LOL ;)

sport-mountain-biking-man-pushing-young-girl-20121099.jpg

Last edited:
Hi John,
The elevation that you see is consolidated over the length of the ride, I don't think any ebike can handle 6000+ ft climb and still provide that long of a range :)
For the initial 100 miles, I used level 1 with occasional level 2. After the first 100, it was mostly level 2. I have set the speed/agility such that I can cruise at ~23mph and still get 60 miles/charge.

It's a strange feeling. After few of these century rides, now 30 mile commute seems like a joke.
Ok makes sense know. Could you snap a picture on the App. with the tuning settings? Would be interesting to see the setting. Thank You

It's a strange feeling. After few of these century rides, now 30 mile commute seems like a joke.

Dang Ravi ease up on me...lol. My 20 mile commute takes intestinal fortitude! What do you do for a living? I need your kind of job! Anyway impressive riding. Thanks for sharing.

What do you do for a living? I need your kind of job!

Believe me, you wouldn't want to.
In the name of PhD student, I laze around, browse Facebook, Reddit, EBR and squander away precious time. No wonder I have energy to ride :)

Ravi sorry quick question on the settings to the left do you have a android phone because I don't have a preset screen in my app I'm running a Apple app . I have a screen that's exactly the same as the one on the right is that the setting you want me to use thank you

John, where I live, those Torque and Agility settings have given me great range so far. Not sure how hilly your terrain is but here is the trick:
I always start in assist 1 and once I pick up momentum, I move to assist 2.
Most energy consumption happens when you're starting off to overcome the inertia. If you can avoid that , good.
Also, in assist 2, I have fairly low torque and agility but you might want to increase the torque if your terrain requires it. What I have noticed is, once you pick up momentum, to maintain 23mph, it requires very minimal energy. There are times when I don't bother about all this and just gun it to level 3 but that happens rarely.

A spare battery from Stromer should be here in a week or two. Yay :)

Here is my inspiration.

Adam Bickett. He takes on some of the most brutal and challenging rides. I got curious as to how they train, what they eat and keep themselves mentally agile. Have been learning a lot from few books as well.

Last year, he did 400 miles within 24 hours. Pure pedal power, no e-power.

Last edited:
Hi Ravi,
Thanks for the inspiration.

My longest rides are 74 and 88 on single charge. I climbed a large Mountain 4400 feet and found I can recoup 26% on the way back down. The first time I climbed to the top I was at 36% last time 23% but at bottom I had 49% back in Pack. So I plan to attack mountain climb to top Level 1 then drop back 1/2 (recoup) way down and climb again see if I can get 2 to 4 cycles then exit hill with 20% to get me home. Hope for 6000 Feet+
Here is track up mountain then cursing around flats to get 88 had a M1 on ride with us.
https://www.strava.com/activities/337105680
http://www.meetup.com/San-Francisco-E-Bike-Meetup/events/221691523/
PS I heard at SF Launch party that a 1.2KW+ battery is in testing for ST2 fit same space. Did you hear anything at Interbike from Engineers? 1.2/48 = 25 Amp Hours?
My commute is 53miles each way so a bigger battery would shave off 20min.
Jed

Knock! Knock!
Is this a 200 mile club? ;)

First of all, I must thank @opimax (Mark) who let me charge my batteries at his place.
@eDean and me rode together in spite of thunderstorms, rain for 65 miles. It was just epic.

The heavy rain delayed my evening rides a little but I was able to make it.

Check out my 211.4 mi Ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/329942233

View attachment 3565 View attachment 3566

Now, with a single battery, there are limitations. Lenny @Crazy Lenny Ebikes will be sending a spare battery next month. I'm thinking 350 in 24 hours is a good benchmark to set :cool:

Keep looking up,
Ravi.

Enjoy your rides fellas.
Great Job you are opening up the barn doors wide!

Hi Ravi,
Thanks for the inspiration.

My longest rides are 74 and 88 on single charge. I climbed a large Mountain 4400 feet and found I can recoup 26% on the way back down. The first time I climbed to the top I was at 36% last time 23% but at bottom I had 49% back in Pack. So I plan to attack mountain climb to top Level 1 then drop back 1/2 (recoup) way down and climb again see if I can get 2 to 4 cycles then exit hill with 20% to get me home. Hope for 6000 Feet+
Here is track up mountain then cursing around flats to get 88 had a M1 on ride with us.
https://www.strava.com/activities/337105680
http://www.meetup.com/San-Francisco-E-Bike-Meetup/events/221691523/
PS I heard at SF Launch party that a 1.2KW+ battery is in testing for ST2 fit same space. Did you hear anything at Interbike from Engineers? 1.2/48 = 25 Amp Hours?
My commute is 53miles each way so a bigger battery would shave off 20min.
Jed

Jed,
You're a true badass !!
53 mile one way commute is quite a haul. ST2 is made for that kind of rigorous commute. Way to go man.
Also, 84 miles on a charge is terrific. I have gotten upto 80 miles on a charge at 16 mph avg speed.

I was wondering who this specimen was among mid drive junkies on that Mt. Diablo ride with Joe Witherspoon :)
Really great stuff there. Proves a strong point that well tuned 48V dd hub can be very efficient at climbing. I love that you can get 28% back in regen.
I'm planning a 70 mile ride that involves 10k ft climb overall and I'm hoping I can get similar regen values.

You're right, they are working on 1000whr battery with 3200mAh cells and it's backwards compatible with ST2. I don't think we are going to see that in production model anytime soon.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Do you happen to know the guy on M1? I'm looking forward to owning an M1 soon.

Again, 100 mile roundtrip commute is very impressive. Two thumbs up.

Update:

Spare battery arrived yesterday
Battery-prep.JPG

Bike is getting ready.
Aged brooks saddle - check,
High K spring on Body Float - check,
Aerobars - on the way..

Bike-prep.JPG

Housemate agreed to be the sag wagon driver, yay :)

I like your project; it's always impressive to see, how far a person can go, if a Stromer is with.

I could ride several Stromer with different saddles. IMHO, the narrow sport saddle is the best. I've also tested prof. bike pants with gel pads. I found them as a good shock absorber. Unfortunately, I never saw a Body Float. However, for what reason did you choose the Brooks?

BTW: A guy from Austria sent me these pictures:

upload_2015-7-7_18-30-13.png

upload_2015-7-7_18-30-43.png

I like your project; it's always impressive to see, how far a person can go, if a Stromer is with.

I could ride several Stromer with different saddles. IMHO, the narrow sport saddle is the best. I've also tested prof. bike pants with gel pads. I found them as a good shock absorber. Unfortunately, I never saw a Body Float. However, for what reason did you choose the Brooks?

BTW: A guy from Austria sent me these pictures:

Thanks @bluecat ,

Looks like a terrific setup for TT. Is this the same guy who rode a ST1 on Tour de France course??
You're right, narrow saddles work best with aerobars and forward leaning position but I chose Brooks because my riding style is slightly more relaxed than Time trial style.
Also, I was feeling little discomfort on stock Ergon saddles at ~170 miles.

Last edited:
Jed,
You're a true badass !!
53 mile one way commute is quite a haul. ST2 is made for that kind of rigorous commute. Way to go man.
Also, 84 miles on a charge is terrific. I have gotten upto 80 miles on a charge at 16 mph avg speed.

I was wondering who this specimen was among mid drive junkies on that Mt. Diablo ride with Joe Witherspoon :)
Really great stuff there. Proves a strong point that well tuned 48V dd hub can be very efficient at climbing. I love that you can get 28% back in regen.
I'm planning a 70 mile ride that involves 10k ft climb overall and I'm hoping I can get similar regen values.

You're right, they are working on 1000whr battery with 3200mAh cells and it's backwards compatible with ST2. I don't think we are going to see that in production model anytime soon.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Do you happen to know the guy on M1? I'm looking forward to owning an M1 soon.

Again, 100 mile roundtrip commute is very impressive. Two thumbs up.

I don't know him but he has a Trike the one that climbs pike peak.
He also has an E-canondell home built e-bike.
He sounds like an EE, BMET, or 35U very high tech bright guy.
I have been sick but getting a few rides in.

July 25th will be remembered for the rest of my life.
Truly indescribable ride, perhaps one of the most challenging and the most beautiful ride experience.
Completed 310.2 miles in 23hours and 52 mins

http://www.strava.com/activities/354327220

I aimed at 350 but the terrain was so hilly and you can see that the total climb is close to 24.6 thousand ft AND with an average speed of 21.2 mph, which I think are truly staggering. So, I ended up at 310.2 miles.

Very happy and I don’t think I could have chosen a better bike. Spare battery was a blessing and I used up 7 ST2 battery charges.
Without my friends joining me in a sag wagon, this ride would have been impossible. They recorded the whole ride+ took some great shots I’m extremely grateful to their support.
More photos and videos to come…!!

In the end, numbers don’t matter, what matters is you’re living and enjoying life to the fullest.

Cheers and enjoy your ride.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Map.JPG Strava proof.JPG

Last edited:
Back