How easy is it to convert your bike to an e-bike?

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
I thought this article might be a helpful guide to inspire confidence in a DIY project... ;)

1589515636493.png

1589515660865.png

After doing about 70 conversions over the past few years for customers, and seeing how far the ebike market has come with a multitude of offerings, if I were a consumer contemplating a conversion, the following would be the only situations where it might make some sense:

1) you have a Recumbent trike you want to convert

2) you have an adult upright trike

3) you want to really hot rod a regular bike with more than 1000 watts and don't care about the legal ramifications

For regular bikes, it's hard to justify the time and the effort, and research it will take. More than likely on your first build, you will make mistakes. You will need tools that most of today's households just don't have. And unless you are a teen or a twenty something who is bored out of their skull, their are better ways to spend your time and money. In 70 builds, you get pretty good at it, but there are still areas the conversion integration just cannot match what you will get from an Ebike OEM. Price is no longer a consideration in terms of saving money over a new ebike. You won't save a dime,and very likely you will spend a lot more as you won't likely be satisfied with your first build, and then will get seduced into more upgrades, more performance, and it then becomes a fairly expensive 'hobby.'

Converted bike types I have done include Recumbent trikes, regular bikes, fat tire bikes, 2 wheel Recumbents, Delta style trikes, upright adult trikes, tandem bikes, tandem recumbent, fat tire Recumbents, ultra low step through bikes.

My favorite build is a recumbent tadpole trike, using the Tongsheng mid drive with torque sensing. Most satisfying result, extremely exuberant customers, and lends itself well to the advantages of a DIY conversion, and offers the greatest savings versus a factory build.

Just my two cents.

if I were a consumer contemplating a conversion, the following would be the only situations where it might make some sense:
1) you have a Recumbent trike you want to convert
2) you have an adult upright trike
3) you want to really hot rod a regular bike with more than 1000 watts and don't care about the legal ramifications
For regular bikes, it's hard to justify the time and the effort, and research it will take.
Just my two cents.
there are many things you can't buy in today's market. I wanted a bike that would 1 carry 80 lb cargo, 2 not throw me over the handlebars on my chin, 3 climb 15% grade without power @ 1.5 mph, 4 carry me back from 50 mile out concert excursions when I was tired, and 5 push me sitting straight up 30 miles into a 25 mph headwind at 9 mph.
Item 2 is nearly impossible. I examined 150 frames with 26" wheels and all had the same inadequate trail, or in automotive terms caster. Mother had a 1946 firestone bike that was stable with 26x2" wheels, but it was single speed coaster brake & weighed 80 lb. I talked to a frame builder about a custom frame, but he absolutely refused to consider a frame with a custom fork with more trail.
Item 4 is nearly impossible with one battery, I have a 17.5 ah 48v and should have bought a 21 after experience. 2 batteries is a theft hazard, & no, the spare won't fit in my pocket while I'm at the concert. Concerts have metal detectors, no 7 lb batteries allowed. My battery is a PIT* to take off, by design.
1 & 3 were satisfied by the unpowered yubabikes bodaboda, but their electric model had a boat anchor like Bosch mid drive (unpowered) so I bought their pedal pusher model with 24 speeds, after they bragged it could handle 2 children on San Francisco hills. Turns out it is progress on item 2, I haven't fallen off on my chin yet. Maybe because more of my weight is on the front axle.
5 has proven totally doable with a $221 geared hub motor and a $720 battery on the bodaboda.
4 hasn't been tried yet because my hips hurt too badly after 5 hours. A new seyelle seat may make the 100 mile RT concert trip worth trying this year.
I was looking for a non-cargo bike for a lady today, the biggest battery anybody was selling in a small frame I found was 19 AH 48 v. Build it yourself , you can buy as much as you want. No custom connectors to gouge you financially when the battery wears out, or to lose contact when you hit a bump. Just reliable .250 insulated dorman flag terminals.
One special feature no vendor can sell, my hub motor is on the front, which balances the cargo on the back. If some dingbat rode that onto ice, or wet moss, the bike would go down and somebody could be sued. But since I did it myself, I just have to be careful- which I was going to do anyway.
One bad experience, there are only 2 USA battery vendors I trust besides OEM's. Luna & ebikeling. Have amazon & ebay piles of trash waiting disposal in the garage.
False starts, I tried to put a 18 lb battery on the front fork of a Huffy Savannah cruiser, and didn't like the way it swung around. 18 lb batteries were trash anyway. OTOH the bodaboda has fixed mounts up there for a grocery basket, total solution for the luna battery. Been riding it 2 1/2 years, 4000 miles electric.
Next upgrade? Torque sensing control. I hated PAS, too fast & jerky, didn't move the pickup or PAS controller to the bodaboda. Probably before that, electric shift. thumb shifters destroyed my right thumb joint, and twist shifters didn't help either, required pinching the shaft too hard with the thumb. The new SRAM MTB electric shift is only for their 12 speed rear cluster, and everybody knows 12 speed chains last about 1000 miles max. My 8 speed chain is lasting 5000 miles first iteration. Besides there is a patented $69 battery involved. Prototype electric shifter is on the coffee table in checkout. Uses main bike battery.

Last edited:
DIY starts with research for sure, and a big part of that is getting the right bike, not necessarily pulling out the old college bike from storage. Certainly wouldn't recommend one with side pull brakes for instance.

Yup, agreed. Because I spend a lot of time riding in a hilly coastal area, I would not consider a donor bike that didn't have disk brakes.

A well chosen conversion "kit" can save a lot of time/trouble over sourcing out each individual part. Just don't grab the least expensive available.

I find that coming up with a clean way to mount the battery is the hardest part of the conversion, and would warn against a simple plan that used a rear rack for that purpose. It affects the balance of the bike too much.

My first bike, which taught me that lesson, wound up in a big heap, with me on top of it, while getting ready for my first ride! I had pulled the bike over at an angle to allow me to swing my leg over the seat easier. The weight of that battery (a big 20Ah LiFe) placed so high and back that far, lifted the front tire right off the ground, throwing me off balance, and the whole mess wound up going down. Lesson learned here.....

DIY starts with research for sure, and a big part of that is getting the right bike, not necessarily pulling out the old college bike from storage. Certainly wouldn't recommend one with side pull brakes for instance.
110% spot on ! The right bike is VERY important. Lots of little things to investigate depending upon whether you want hub drive or mid drive, battery location, age and condition of bike, Does it have front derailleur (do you want to keep it and if so where to mount throttle), wiring locations, speed sensor location, cadence sensor viability, drop out width, drop out slot thickness, which supplier to choose, potential kit issues, wrong parts sent, missing parts sent, and much more. The wrong bike can make the conversion a very aggravating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah for me, the conversion to a BBSHD mid-drive (I bought a giant roam specifically to convert) took somewhere around 10-15 hours or so. However, I probably spent at least 80 hours over the course of a couple of months researching and deciding what I wanted along with watching all the steps of the conversion before I finally pulled the trigger. I did the conversion because I wanted a bigger battery than most pre-made bikes offer, along with the ability to go over 28mph. I also wanted the challenge of seeing if I could do it. I've been riding it for the last 3-4 months or so recreationally, and if I had to do it again, I would probably have just bought a pre-made ebike. I find I rarely even try to go over 28 very often, and for the riding I do, I could easily get by on the average battery size offered by most manufacturers. That and the cost after everything was said and done (ordering tools for the conversion, lights, etc.) ended up being more than the total price of my wife's Specialized Como 4.0, which will come in at under $2500 with their rebate (it's a class 3 ebike with a 2-year warranty). So yeah, I would recommend folks really look at EVERYTHING they will need to do to convert a bike, and make sure the bike they are converting is ebike worthy, i.e. safe!! Can you build one more cheaply yourself than a pre-made one? Maybe. Will it be as nicely integrated, tuned, and feel as good as a pre-made one? doubtful ...

"Can you build one more cheaply yourself than a pre-made one? Maybe. Will it be as nicely integrated, tuned, and feel as good as a pre-made one? "

In 2015, I bought an EG Maui 500 beach cruiser for my wife for $1370. I converted an old Trek with a $200 motor kit and $280 36V battery. Yes, build beat buying then, but Walmart now sells ebikes for a little over $500. Today, I would say no, I cannot beat the cost of an inexpensive import. I can't speak to the WMT quality, but they appear to have a good warranty. Nonetheless, I've never had to pull the motor out of my Trek, It's always run. The battery still has a lot of life in it. I wouldn't worry about running out on a 25 mile ride with pedal assist.

My 2016 conversion with a BBS02 mid drive and a Luna battery was about $1100. Expensive. That combo of motor/battery was on sale a few years ago at Luna for $750. Today, it's about $900? My BBS02 is still one of my faster ebikes, but I never ride it fast.

After that it became a hobby. I'd convert a bike over the winter. After you have a couple of batteries, you can move them around between bikes, so the cost is amortized. I've done maybe 10 conversions, but have run out of bikes that I want to convert. This year, I've been cleaning up older conversions. Making them more waterproof, dressing cables, etc.

For those who have the need for speed... this is a monster power conversion.

Love the Seinfeld reference...;) Yes, it’s real… and it’s spectacular!

CYC X1-Pro (Gen 2) tech specs
  • Motor Power: 5,000W at 72v
  • Top Speed: I stopped at 49 mph (78.8 kmph)
  • Max RPM: Over 300
  • Battery Compatibility: 36 to 72V, drop in compatible
  • Gearing: Your choice of 32, 38, or 42 tooth front chainring
  • Weight: 7.7 lbs (3.49 kg)
  • Bottom Bracket Width: 69/73/83 or optional BB92 or 100mm, 120mm
  • Price: $1,088 (without battery)
  • Extras: brake cut-offs, torque sensor, optional CYC display, compatible with EggRider display,
  • compatible with ASI controllers (wiring harness necessary), optional twist or thumb throttle

Last edited:
Are you thinking about doing a conversion? A lot of expertise is available on the EBR forums.
I have a mountain bike, Peugeot 15 Speed "Crazy Horse" purchased in the mid1980. I would want to motorize it. Would perfer having someone with both the experience and proper tools to do the conversion. Any recommended builders or service shops in the Seattle WA to Portland OR area?

I have a mountain bike, Peugeot 15 Speed "Crazy Horse" purchased in the mid1980. I would want to motorize it.
Would perfer having someone with both the experience and proper tools to do the conversion.
Any recommended builders or service shops in the Seattle WA to Portland OR area?
There is a great builder in the SF Bay Area if you don't mind shipping your bike.
Check out the owner's bio and info resource pages... contact info below.
They have converted over 1,200 standard bikes to Electric! ;)

Electric Bikes - Island City Bikes, LLC
(510) 969-4143 [email protected]

Island City Bikes, LLC
2551 Williams Street, San Leandro, California 94577, United States
(510) 969 4143 [email protected]

I have a mountain bike, Peugeot 15 Speed "Crazy Horse" purchased in the mid1980. I would want to motorize it. Would perfer having someone with both the experience and proper tools to do the conversion. Any recommended builders or service shops in the Seattle WA to Portland OR area?

Edit
DealerAddressState/CountryContact DetailsWebsite
Strand Electric Bikes615 Monterey Blvd,
Hermosa Beach
CA 90254 Geoffrey Vansickle
661-476-2555
Send email
EZ Green Bikes
EZ Green Bikes
34193 Golden Lantern,
Suite B, Dana Point
CA 92629Robbie Villanueva
949-661-2761
949-351-8344
Send email
ezgreenbikes.com
Ventura Bike Depot, Inc.
Ventura Bike Depot, Inc.
239 W. Main Street,
Ventura
CA 93001Seth Williams
805-652-1114
Send email
venturabikedepot.com
Dandyhorse SF Bike Tours & Rental
Dandy Horse SF Bike Tours logo
1222 Harrison St.,
#4102 San Francisco
CA 94103Nicholas Hormuth
415-890-2453
Send email
dandysftours.com
San Francyclo
San Francyclo
746 Arguello Blvd
San Francisco
CA 94118Jason
415-831-8031
Send email
sanfrancyclo.com
Island City Bikes
Island City Bikes
2427 Clement Avenue,
Alameda

2521 Folsom Blvd,
Sacramento
CA 94501

CA 95827
Alvin Carpenter
510-418-1552
Send email
islandcitybikes.com
Danville Bike
Danville Bike
175 Hartz Ave,
Danville
CA 94526Jose Gutierrez
925-837-0966
Send email
danvillebikes.com
Archer Bicycle
Archer Bicycle logo
431 13th Street, OaklandCA 94612Greg Archer
510-681-1141
Send email
FB page
Silva Cycles
Silva Cycles logo
901 Camden Ave Ste 6A
Campbell
CA 95008Bronson Silva
408-871-1430
Send email
www.silvacycles.com
The Electric Bike Shop
The Electric Bike Shop
5704 Broadway,
Sacramento
CA 95820Mike Majors
916-594-7945
Send email
theelectricbikeshop.org
Electron Surfer
Electron Surfer
SacramentoCA 95821James Harms
916-507-4104
Send email
electron-surfer.com
The Bike Store
The Bike Store
110 Alpine St,
Mount Shasta
CA 96067Mike Reed
530-926-4567
Send email
thebikestore.com

Not sure why all the suggestions for CA when you requested Seattle to PDX.....Brad at Nomad Cycles in Portland has a good rep and has been converting bikes for years.

Caveat is that paying someone to convert a bike can approach the cost these days of a brand new eBike in the $1500 range and you will get the benefit of more modern componentry, like disc brakes and better shifting components....The value in DIY is, well, doing it yourself but that can get expensive if you don't have prior experience in putting a bike together and lack the proper tools to do so.

If you plan to pay a bike shop for the conversion then I agree that it might better serve you to just buy a purpose built ebike unless you have a strong attachment to your Peugeot (I get that). If you go forward with having a bike shop do the work it would be helpful to others considering doing the same if you post up what they charge for whatever kit you choose. FYI I have a '80s Schwinn Sierra mountain bike that has a narrow bottom bracket that wouldn't work with Bafang or Tongsheng mid drives without added complexity (or at all). Also with a mid drive you would lose your triple chainring. There are compromises and limitations associated with all of the usual options (front hub, rear hub, mid drive).

ALWAYS use Google to sort builds. Search the brand, model, and motor. Peugeot, Crazy Horse, BBSHD, and again Peugeot, Crazy Horse, BBS02

The same search for any bike being considered for a BBSxx series motor.

Back