How do you inject tube sealant?

Sooo....to open up a bit of discussion, does sealant actually work? Anyone have before/after stories to share? Is it more than just another mystery oil, like used to be peddled in the USA?
Thanks
I rode bikes for many years, and no matter the brand or price of the tubes, they ALL required airing up on a regular basis - like every 2 weeks max (they would be down 20psi at least). Being a bigger guy, these tires were generally inflated to 60-70lbs. Trust me, I was sick and tired of this constant airing up of tires. This whole time I was asking the "experts" for input on how this constant air loss could be halted. All they would do is hand me a new pair of tubes. I would install them, and there would be no change, not even a temporary one.

Finally I had had enough and went against the universal wisdom coming from the bike shops and installed some flat preventative. Constant need for checking tire pressures no longer necessary. That simple. Believe it or not, I could care less.

That knowledge transferred to e-bikes when I made the switch. Same results.

Worth noting too maybe, is that a 20" tire isn't going to need as much sealant as a 26x4" will. The 26" fatty's need at least 6-8 oz in my experience. I've been running 4oz in my 27.5x 2" and 2.4" with good luck.

I rode bikes for many years, and no matter the brand or price of the tubes, they ALL required airing up on a regular basis - like every 2 weeks max (they would be down 20psi at least). Being a bigger guy, these tires were generally inflated to 60-70lbs. Trust me, I was sick and tired of this constant airing up of tires. This whole time I was asking the "experts" for input on how this constant air loss could be halted. All they would do is hand me a new pair of tubes. I would install them, and there would be no change, not even a temporary one.

Finally I had had enough and went against the universal wisdom coming from the bike shops and installed some flat preventative. Constant need for checking tire pressures no longer necessary. That simple. Believe it or not, I could care less.

That knowledge transferred to e-bikes when I made the switch. Same results.
not sure what you saying. sealant of any type hasn't to stopped me having to fill my tires every week or two. that includes stands and slime and flat out and a couple of others. usually tubleless with sealant need filled more often then with tubes.

not sure what you saying. sealant of any type hasn't to stopped me having to fill my tires every week or two. that includes stands and slime and flat out and a couple of others. usually tubleless with sealant need filled more often then with tubes.
I’ll confirm that this is my experience as well. I fill up my tubeless setup more often than when I ran tubes. But the comfort and protection are well worth it for me.

I’ll confirm that this is my experience as well. I fill up my tubeless setup more often than when I ran tubes. But the comfort and protection are well worth it for me.
I debated on it but the time I spent refilling the tires would not make ufo for the once in awhile flat. most of my flats I cant find what's stuck in my tire. Plus cleaning out the sealant would irritate me.

So totally different results than I've had. Leaving me wondering if you are using enough of whatever product you are using? Maybe try increasing that amount?

Not here to pull your leg. I can go literally months between pressure checks....

So totally different results than I've had. Leaving me wondering if you are using enough of whatever product you are using? Maybe try increasing that amount?

Not here to pull your leg. I can go literally months between pressure checks....
I use more then enough, but how would to work when the bike sits it all pools to the bottom of the tire it does not coat anything for long term. even if it did coat the tube it would only be coating the outside of the tube. Now if you fill your tire with it then ya should work well that way. but I have put 2 to 3 times the recommended amount and it has always been the the same time to fill the tires usually 10 pounds a week or so.

I use more then enough, but how would to work when the bike sits it all pools to the bottom of the tire it does not coat anything for long term. even if it did coat the tube it would only be coating the outside of the tube. Now if you fill your tire with it then ya should work well that way. but I have put 2 to 3 times the recommended amount and it has always been the the same time to fill the tires usually 10 pounds a week or so.
I concur

One difference occurs to me, and that's how often the bike is ridden? Mine are generally ridden daily, so any liquid is going to coat the tube every day. That would NOT explain though, why extra bikes that are rarely ridden don't seem to have much of a problem either. Dunno. Just sharing my results. Clearly others may differ. -Al

One difference occurs to me, and that's how often the bike is ridden? Mine are generally ridden daily, so any liquid is going to coat the tube every day. That would NOT explain though, why extra bikes that are rarely ridden don't seem to have much of a problem either. Dunno. Just sharing my results. Clearly others may differ. -Al
I ride several times day seldom do I miss a day.

Project Farm
A long time subscriber. I’m comfortable enough to usually skip the long winded parts an ho straight to the results chart. My arthritis has crippled my right hand. I bought a Cheap Chineses impact wrench that meets the needs of bicycle wrenching. I uses my existing makita batteries and hex bits. The idea came from PF!

The only disappointing video was the stink pot 2 Cycle bike conversion and the ridiculous comments from subscribers regarding eBike conversions.

Please read the required amounts the the brand you use. FlatOut seems to have higher amounts per tire.

1649953431931.png

I squeeze Slime into my tubes with the little tube the bottle of Slime comes with. Works fine. I also get it by the gallon and use the pump/tube it comes with. I think either method would work about as well in a bike shop as for an individual. I can't see any reason for buying a Park Tool. As far as measuring exact volumes, I always use more than called for and have basically measured in glugs rather than ounces or milliliters.

As for whether sealants work, the only one I've ever used is Slime and from many years of experience, I can say it works great. I can't speak to other brands. I'm sure some are better and some are probably worse. I've never noticed a problem with rain or high pressure. Lately, I'm riding 26 x 4 tires and I don't notice any wheel balance issues. Any accumulation of Slime at the bottom of the tube is quickly rectified by a couple of hundred yards of riding.

I've ridden without Slime and had flats. I've added Slime and I honestly don't recall ever having a flat with it. I am not saying Slime is a cure-all for flats. Nothing is perfect, but it's worked very well for me.

TT

Side question - do our tubes / tyres become heavier over time with repeated refilling?

I'm putting 75-100 ml in every 3-6 months, so potentially 400 gms in a year! Ironic when you consider I agonise over exo vs exo + casings for the sake of 100 gms!

Side question - do our tubes / tyres become heavier over time with repeated refilling?

I'm putting 75-100 ml in every 3-6 months, so potentially 400 gms in a year! Ironic when you consider I agonise over exo vs exo + casings for the sake of 100 gms!
Not really. Tires are porous and the sealant does evaporate. I’ve only had to clean out and replace my sealant twice but every time I’ve had to do it, it was always obviously lighter than when I initially put the sealant in. I haven’t weighed them side by side but supposedly a normal inner tube is heavier than the proper amount of sealant for the tire volume.

I suppose there is some buildup over time. I generally replace my tubes every 3 or 4 years so it isn't a problem.

I get the impression that most people put in more sealant than is recommended rather than less. When you watch some of the YouTube videos, just about everybody breaks the bead and pours in a big glop of sealant, saying "that looks like x number of ounces". I inject Stan's sealant through the valve core (Schrader) and I put in 4 ounces, about twice the recommended dose according to Stan. I had to repeat the tape job on the rear wheel about 3 or 4 times before I got it right and each time I was able to suck out about half of what I initially applied. The longest I went was about 2 weeks and the shortest was a day. When people on YouTube talk about hearing the swishing of the sealant inside the tire as they manually rotate it, they must have a helluva lot of sealant in that tire. I certainly can't hear 4 ounces inside my 29x2.3 tires. On my front tire I used a single layer of black Gorilla tape and it worked first time. After about the 3rd or 4th attempt, 2 layers of Kapton tape right down the middle of the rim channel did it for the rear tire. I love the reduced rolling resistance and the comfort of riding on 30 psi.

I get the impression that most people put in more sealant than is recommended rather than less. When you watch some of the YouTube videos, just about everybody breaks the bead and pours in a big glop of sealant, saying "that looks like x number of ounces". I inject Stan's sealant through the valve core (Schrader) and I put in 4 ounces, about twice the recommended dose according to Stan. I had to repeat the tape job on the rear wheel about 3 or 4 times before I got it right and each time I was able to suck out about half of what I initially applied. The longest I went was about 2 weeks and the shortest was a day. When people on YouTube talk about hearing the swishing of the sealant inside the tire as they manually rotate it, they must have a helluva lot of sealant in that tire. I certainly can't hear 4 ounces inside my 29x2.3 tires. On my front tire I used a single layer of black Gorilla tape and it worked first time. After about the 3rd or 4th attempt, 2 layers of Kapton tape right down the middle of the rim channel did it for the rear tire. I love the reduced rolling resistance and the comfort of riding on 30 psi.
Are you talking about a tubeless tire ("just about everybody breaks the bead and pours in a big glop of sealant") or a tube type ("I inject Stan's sealant through the valve core (Schrader) and I put in 4 ounces,")?

Amounts required do vary, as the amount required for skinny tires not nearly as much as that required for a fatty....

Back