Hitch racks for Cars

I'm not sure if I'll regret it or not, but I just bought a cargo carrier platform with a bike adaptor option.. My bike is on the lighter side for an ebike (a bit shy of 50lbs, probably closer to 42 without the battery) The carrier will handle the weight easily, but I'll probably be adding lots of tow straps to ensure things are stationary.
I did the same except no bike adapter option as it wouldn't work with my 4" tires so I just made my own along with a ramp for loading. Two ratchet straps will hold it securely.

I'm not sure if I'll regret it or not, but I just bought a cargo carrier platform with a bike adaptor option.. My bike is on the lighter side for an ebike (a bit shy of 50lbs, probably closer to 42 without the battery) The carrier will handle the weight easily, but I'll probably be adding lots of tow straps to ensure things are stationary.
How did this work for you or anybody

How did this work for you or anybody
It seems to work well enough for my purposes, which is mostly 20-30 min drive to the bike shop. Seeing how much work the ratchet straps are doing holding things still compared to the wheel securing pieces, I'd be tempted to just use a plain cargo carrier platform itself without any special bike rack addition. Velcro or tie to the tires through the grate to keep the wheels from slipping. Tie straps attached front and back of the platform wrapped around the bike to keep them stationary.

Early this season, I saw a clever idea for using a cargo carrier as a bike rack. A piece of plywood was fastened to the wire mesh carrier platform with a pipe flange bolted to the center. The first bike was placed on the carrier closest to the vehicle. A 36" piece of pipe was then screwed into the flange and the first bike was tied to it. The second bike was then loaded and tied off in a similar manner. By using the removable pipe as a tie point, it took the owner less than 5 minutes to load both bikes.

Reactions: aml
Back