Hitch Bike Rack

Why an extender? You’re getting a 1.25” vs a 2”? I’m confused.
My female receptor coming out of the Audi is 1.25 and the rack from Walmart is a 2inch. So I bought a receiver adapter 1.25 to 2 inch. Was there another way to do it?

My female receptor coming out of the Audi is 1.25 and the rack from Walmart is a 2inch. So I bought a receiver adapter 1.25 to 2 inch. Was there another way to do it?
You may not want to hear this but a 2” hitch is far more solid over the long haul. Extensions are just weak and, as you’ve seen (especially with 2 heavy ebikes), add length that can grind when going up steep driveways, streets, etc. Just looking at that picture looks like it’s gonna grind.

You may not want to hear this but a 2” hitch is far more solid over the long haul. Extensions are just weak and, as you’ve seen (especially with 2 heavy ebikes), add length that can grind when going up steep driveways, streets, etc. Just looking at that picture looks like it’s gonna grind.
Yep, we carved out a pretty nice chunck out of the sloped driveway. Return to sender! The good news is refund!

I guess so. I'm back in the market.
Good luck! I bought a Curt 2” hitch and the Hollywood SE2 rack for my 2019 Rav4 hybrid AWD. Even the Curt is a bit low for my driveway. The “official” Toyota hitch is about an inch to two higher and a $100 more to have installed correctly.

I guess so. I'm back in the market or in the market to add 2 inch hitch to my SUV. Initial quotes are a big number...
What did you end up doing?

I'm currently shopping for hitch bike racks now.

Did you try a 1.25" to 2" adaptor that adds rise instead of extending?

What did you end up doing?

I'm currently shopping for hitch bike racks now.

Yeah, tried the adapter, but it ended up offering too much flex and the bikes would have been bouncing off the ground. For right now, we are hitchless. I looked at adding a hitch to my SUV, but it's way more than I want to spend...

Yeah, tried the adapter, but it ended up offering too much flex and the bikes would have been bouncing off the ground. For right now, we are hitchless. I looked at adding a hitch to my SUV, but it's way more than I want to spend...
From what I remember you used the extender type. Did you try the riser type where it stacks the 2” above the 1.25” to alleviate the bowing?

UPDATE: We tried the Fultyme but just could not get it to work for our ST's where we felt comfortable driving over 1000 miles one way. We tried it with the pool noodles but the derailleur hit the back tire guard. We also didn't like the way the arm held the tire on, one worked and the other wouldn't even go near so no use. We ended up returning it after fussing for a few hours to get it to work. Now YMMV, we are a bit handy but definitely not as much as some of you are. I know the Fultyme worked for many and it was a nice bike rack for a larger bike.

We ended up buying the Rambo bike rack from Scheels, it was 349 plus 10 shipping minus 75 if you opened a credit card so a total of 284, a bit over twice as much Fultyme. But what a difference! Definitely worth the price. This bike rack is so well built, the bikes are so secure on this rack. We put it together, put the bikes on and no need for pool noodles, tons of bungees or velcro's. It tilts down easily and sturdily so we can open our rear hatch. The arm is adjustable to hold the front tire as is the rear tire holder. And the whole things folds up and out of the way. It's also rated for 145 lbs. We also bought a Pro Bike Tool traveling cover on Amazon and we feel so much better knowing our bikes are safe and secure.
I'll post a few pics and the link https://www.scheels.com/p/rambo-fat-tire-bike-hitch-rack/81615301447.html#q=rambo+bike+rack&lang=en_US&start=1

This is just what we ended up doing. A little bit of tweaking with the cover and now we need to test going down the road 65 or more mph. Then we'll really know.
Hey Moonkitty..thanks for doing the review of the Rambo bike rack. Wondering a) if you are still liking the rack and b) how difficult it is to lift a heavy bike onto the rack. We are older, back issues etc..and are looking for a way to transport my ebike without injury to the bike or RIDER;-)..Thanks!

The 1Up and similar "RV compatible" bike rack puts the bikes higher off the ground than the regular bike racks that hang the bikes from the top tubes. The 1Up rack on my SUV is 18" above the ground and even with a 12" hitch extension there is no issue with hitting the pavement with the hitch or rack anywhere.

A big advantage of the 1Up and Yakima and Thule e-bike racks is the ability to use a ramp to wheel the bikes up and into place. Something seldom mentioned is that when e-bikes weigh more than 55 lbs the number of bike racks that can support two of them is very small. Also much easier to lift a 45 lb or lighter e-bike up and place it into a rack or to take it out, especially the bike closest to the rear of the vehicle.

I'd keep my bikes inside the vehicle folded and get a flat cargo rack and plastic totes to make more interior room.

From what I remember you used the extender type. Did you try the riser type where it stacks the 2” above the 1.25” to alleviate the bowing?
I have an appointment to have a Stealth 2 inch hitch added to my SUV next month. I am also on the waiting list for a 1 UP 2" Super Duty Single. So I guess you could say I am biting the bullet. 1200 for the hitch including installation and 425 for the 1UP. I was considering a few other racks, but everything pointed to the design and quality of the 1 UP for my needs...

I had a Curt 2” hitch installed on the CX-5 so I don’t have to use the full sized truck all the time when I take the bikes out. I had a Thule EasyFold XT rack but it was not wide enough for the big cruiser bikes. Wound up purchasing a Hollywood Sport Rider 2021 Edition with the large tire holders for fat tire bikes. Holds 2 electric bikes at 80lbs each. Works great. Expensive but the bikes are expensive too. Nice and secure for short and long trips.

I was looking hard at the 1up, but was concerned about the weight limit since I have an 89 pound ebike on order. Then I found the Mach2. Yeah, it costs a bit more. However it will carry more weight and I like the functionality better.

I was looking hard at the 1up, but was concerned about the weight limit since I have an 89 pound ebike on order. Then I found the Mach2. Yeah, it costs a bit more. However it will carry more weight and I like the functionality better.

Only if you could order one. People been waiting for over a couple of years and still haven’t gotten theirs. I would also purchase if it was available.

If the vehicle has a 1.25" hitch, throwing on an adaptor so the vehicle can use a 2" bike carrier is dangerous and such adaptor product should be downright illegal.

A vehicle with a 2" inch can safely use an adaptor to use a 1.25" bike carrier.

If the vehicle has a 1.25" hitch, throwing on an adaptor so the vehicle can use a 2" bike carrier is dangerous and such adaptor product should be downright illegal.

A vehicle with a 2" inch can safely use an adaptor to use a 1.25" bike carrier.
Yeah, it just never felt or looked right.

The Hollywood Sports Rider Rack instructions specifically state to not use an adapter for a 1 1/2“ hitch. Too much stress. Also I read somewhere that using an adapter reduces the weight capacity by about 50%. I wouldn’t take the chance with expensive ebikes. Pay once, cry once. Get the correct hitch for the rack you will be using.

Back