High quality/smooth throttle options to purchase?

vincent

Does anyone know of where to buy really nice well built throttles for the bafang motors, specifically the mid drives?

just wondering if any people/companies are building these with better “hall sensors” ??? Or whatever

would love to replace all mine with very smooth, controlled throttles if available

Have you tried messing with the controller parameters with that idea in mind?

I ask because I don't know how mine could be improved by much....

Such a throttle may exist somewhere on the market but I have yet to find one. I've tried various thumb, half and full twist models but all are far from "smooth" with rough spots where the motor runs erratically. At first, I thought it was a controller issue until I discovered a 3 wire Hall effect throttle can be replaced with a variable resistor. It requires some diy skills but it is possible to make your own 3 wire throttle.

I used a quality rotary carbon film variable resistor and mounted it in a small box under the brake lever. Here's a link on how it was done. See post #1 in this thread:

Using this variable resistor, the motor runs as smooth as silk. The rotary dial action also acts as a cruise control which relieves the cramps I get from holding a twist or thumb model. No, it isn't a twist or thumb type throttle but I'm working on that. In the mean time, I just rotate the dial with my thumb to adjust speed. I also added a switch so I can change between the OEM twist throttle and the rotary dial if desired.

I realize this doesn't answer your question and may be of no help to you but, if you're a diy'er, it's something to play around with.

have the archon on the WW and have not messed with getting the new software or cable etc
The throttle is not bad on this bike but could be smoother

I could try programming on the bbs02 motor but have not had time, would rather buy a throttle to swap it out and solve the problem..

I am not diy and wish someone would build these better throttles and market them 🙁

Never purchased one because I'm a half throttle person. But these look better quality.
Have a read see what you think?..

Looks promising but not sure how to get it to the states
Hopefully this week I can research both of these options

Vincent, so you don't get too carried away here. The output on a hall sensor throttle may vary a bit, but most are going to run from 1mvolt to 4.2mv or something like that.

In you controller setup, under "throttle handle", there's a "start voltage" and an "end voltage" set of parameters. If those are not set correctly set (typical setting is 15 and 36) you are going to be leaving available throttle resolution on the table. Those settings need to match the throttle. In this case, when setting the start to 10, and the end to 42 (to match the hall sensor) it's not hard to see you'll be picking up additional resolution.

Buying a new throttle isn't going to fix this piece, though I would imaging if the sensor you have now is wet or contaminated some how, a new one is going to help big time. In that regard, I'm having pretty good luck with a very generic cheapy I'm using on most of my bikes:

Yep no problems with my generic throttles, I've set the values to match the throttle voltage. Much better..

i have owned 10 different bikes with throttles if not more and they all behave differently, some were hub and some mid
some bafang and some not
some smoother some not so smooth and more on/off

i dont have the archon software to mess with, it is not major important because the bike works fine as is, pushkar seems really busy right now so i dont want to bug him
in other words cant change anything on the archon

the bbs02 i could definitely mess around with when i have time

just thought i had read a few posts here regarding smoother throttles being built buy some people diy and figured at this point someone was selling them

Have/maintain a few myself, so just a thought. When you have the time/inclination, the BBS02 settings should make/break my point. You could use any difference noted there to judge how well the Archon conversion is doing/if you wanted to mess with it or not. No idea there myself.

Have you ridden a bike with a KT controller and display yet? That might be worth looking into a little for your throttle equipped hub drive bikes. They've completely spoiled me. The only thing I've found that can compare to the KT are the Bafang mid drive controllers (BBSxx and Ultra).

I get you aren't currently a DIY'er. Just trying to provide a little motivation in that direction (something to ponder) if there's any chance of motivating you/changing your mind... -Al 😈

Last edited:
Lol I don’t mind trying to program the bbs02 just completely slammed with work right now so be a few weeks before I can even think about it

that is good to know on the kc controller, glad you said that because have a bike I need to upgrade the motor on and will pick your brain on setups for that
Forgot that was an option
Again a project for a few months from now, just too much going on

I get it! When you get around to either project, just holler. Be glad to help, if nothing more than to try and point you in the right direction. Regarding the BBS02, there are several other places where minor parameter setting changes can have quite an effect on fully civilizing that bike at low speeds. From how hard the throttle first hits, to how long it takes the motor to spool up (soft start if you're familiar). Bottom line, they can be made way more friendly in this area with just a little tweaking!

Why they don't come that way is a total mystery - especially on the BBS02! -Al

this is the throttle I am looking for with female plug, any idea who sells these?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 6.49.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 6.49.34 PM.png
    228.8 KB · Views: 249
tried amazon, if the connector is right would the sme throttle work for both the bafang hub and mid drives?

tried amazon, if the connector is right would the sme throttle work for both the bafang hub and mid drives?
I hesitate to share this, but that's been my experience. Hesitating, because the minute I say that, somebody will come up with something that doesn't work. If it doesn't work, Amazon has a pretty decent return policy, so you wouldn't be out much....

Everything looks quality on my bike just the throttle looks like it was found in a Chinese parts bin.. there are No quantity looking half throttles. Having said that works fine but looks cheap as!!!..puts my bike down

I think magura make a quality looking e bike throttle but it's a full 😕.

Back