High Powered eBike Camping: Enter the Realm of Highly Compromised Decisions and Deeply Ambivalent Feelings

Indeed, quite peculiar.

I've got a tall roof Promaster, and I sympathize with the overly tall issue. Being an older guy though, I got sick of crawling around on my hands and knees car camping, being able to stand while changing clothes, or just moving around inside is a revelation. If you end up in places with lousy weather and/or bugs, having a comfortable indoor refuge will be priceless. I have a tall friend who uses a Ford Transit Connect as a camper, they're only 6' tall so would fit in Denver garages. At least with that, you can still hunch over and walk around.
Thanks. I didn't realize the transit was six feet high. That is very helpful!

Here's something else you might find peculiar:

I am attracted to this bike because it is derived from the Diverge geometry. I have a 2015 Diverge that i love. The Diverge is a hybrid mechanical road bike because it handles asphalt or gravel equally well. To me the Creo is a true hybrid bike due to the frictionless motor decoupling. The Creo functions equally well with or without electrical power. It weighs 27 pounds, the same as my REI CTY belt driven, Alfine hub geared bike.

The 40 mile, water bottle Battery Extender is another feature that I find compelling. The 80 mile primary batttery is not removable. But any number of extenders can be used on a given ride.

I find the slow charging rates the most troublesome aspect of any type of hybrid. I would prefer to wait until solid state batteries arrive. I might need to escape to New Mexico this winter. The last shutdown was unpleasant for everyone. At the current rate, we will probably have a second shutdown of some type. I prefer to be on the road, in that case.

Last edited:
Indeed, quite peculiar.

I've got a tall roof Promaster, and I sympathize with the overly tall issue. Being an older guy though, I got sick of crawling around on my hands and knees car camping, being able to stand while changing clothes, or just moving around inside is a revelation. If you end up in places with lousy weather and/or bugs, having a comfortable indoor refuge will be priceless. I have a tall friend who uses a Ford Transit Connect as a camper, they're only 6' tall so would fit in Denver garages. At least with that, you can still hunch over and walk around.

My understanding is the Transit Connect does not have AWD or 4WD option?

SRW stands for single rear wheel and DRW stands for dual rear wheel. ... "Duallys," or dual rear wheel trucks, offer a higher gross vehicle weight (GVWR), which contributes to a higher towing capacity.

Drive TypeRWD/ DRW

My understanding is the Transit Connect does not have AWD or 4WD option?

SRW stands for single rear wheel and DRW stands for dual rear wheel. ... "Duallys," or dual rear wheel trucks, offer a higher gross vehicle weight (GVWR), which contributes to a higher towing capacity.

Drive TypeRWD/ DRW

I don't think any of the smaller cargo vans have 4wd or awd as an option. Sprinter has a 4wd, Transit has awd and a Fiat version of the Promaster is awd electric, but short range. Both the Promaster and Promaster City are fwd, which are a bit better in the snow. I run studded snows on mine in the winter.

There are companies outfitting urban cargo vans, as well as kits. I've seen a few pop tops too. https://wayfarervans.com/wally-kit/

I don't think any of the smaller cargo vans have 4wd or awd as an option. Sprinter has a 4wd, Transit has awd and a Fiat version of the Promaster is awd electric, but short range. Both the Promaster and Promaster City are fwd, which are a bit better in the snow. I run studded snows on mine in the winter.

There are companies outfitting urban cargo vans, as well as kits. I've seen a few pop tops too. https://wayfarervans.com/wally-kit/
Thanks. I will chase down those leads.

My understanding is the Transit is only AWD for the passenger version. I would then need to remove the 15 person seating, right? A cargo van seems more economical, but not a possibility?

The Sienna might work under certain limited circumstances. For example, if the roof can be modified with hydraulics to popup. The Sienna has two strong points; AWD and HV electrical system. I find the HV electrical system very advantageous.

Alternatively, with careful planning, like renting a hut, garage, barn or room in bad weather. I could rent a hut in CO. CO has an extensive hut network. Huts are probably a very bad idea with covid19. Aspen and surrounding counties are an international covid19 disaster.

The RAV4 Prime is the most compelling electrical base to build from. The Prime has a 18Wh, li-ion battery. It also has level 2 PHEV charging, as an option. It can travel 42 miles on EV only. The Prime has a HV mode, that allows battery access without automatically turning on gas engine when power low.

Is the Prime too short for a popup to be practical?

I live in downtown Denver, so i will always be using some sort of public charging.

My emphasis is the electrical system, rather than the vehicle as the base. With the proper electrical system, i feel less constrained. A good shot of the Prime roof. The lines are solar panels.

IMG_1016.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks. I will chase down those leads.

My understanding is the Transit is only AWD for the passenger version. I would then need to remove the 15 person seating, right? A cargo van seems more economical, but not a possibility?

The Sienna might work under certain limited circumstances. For example, if the roof can be modified with hydraulics to popup. The Sienna has two strong points; AWD and HV electrical system. I find the HV electrical system very advantageous.

Alternatively, with careful planning, like renting a hut, garage, barn or room in bad weather. I could rent a hut in CO. CO has an extensive hut network. Huts are probably a very bad idea with covid19. Aspen and surrounding counties are an international covid19 disaster.

The hut system is a backcountry system, and also reservations are difficult to come by, like you make them a year out if you are lucky enough to get one. No idea if they are even running in virusworld.

Actually, the Sienna is the same electrical platform as the RAV4 Prime. The marketing manager hinted at a Sienna Prime version. Waiting for a Sienna Prime might make most sense.

Google Sienna pop top...
Right, i see. Thanks.

I am convinced a Sienna Prime is inevitable. Perfect for Moms to take to school without gasoline power. A Sienna Prime is something significant. You could recharge a 500Wh eBike battery almost 40 times in the wilderness.

Covid19 is screwing up manufacturing and sales. That's the only reason for no Sienna Prime.

Looks like a pretty cool vehicle
The Captains chairs are not removeable due to side impact bags. You can get a super long sliding tract that comes on some upper trim models. That 25" tract allows the chairs to extend into the third row area, creating a lounge area near the side doors. The seats recline as Ottomans to some undisclosed angle. I don't know if the Ottoman can also function as a bed?

I don't like the small 1.8Wh, nickel battery, either. The li-ion Prime model has ten times the capacity. I don't like the Mom orientation, because it wastes space. But, might be the best option, given today's technology. I am inclined to wait, because rapid technical advances lie on the horizon.

I could readily accept those compromises with a Prime trim model.

Last edited:
The Captains chairs are not removeable due to side impact bags. You can get a super long sliding tract that comes on some upper trim models. That 25" tract allows the chairs to extend into the third row area, creating a lounge area near the side doors. The seats recline as Ottomans to some undisclosed angle. I don't know if the Ottoman can also function as a bed?

I don't like the small 1.8Wh, nickel battery, either. The li-ion Prime model has ten times the capacity. I don't like the Mom orientation, because it wastes space. But, might be the best option, given today's technology. I am inclined to wait, because rapid technical advances lie on the horizon.

I could readily accept those compromises with a Prime trim model.
Another useful customization would be to somehow reverse the vacuum cleaner flow to blow air out to dry clothes. I haven't given it much consideration, because it is not important now.

The RAV4 Prime is the most compelling electrical base to build from. The Prime has a 18Wh, li-ion battery. It also has level 2 PHEV charging, as an option. It can travel 42 miles on EV only. The Prime has a HV mode, that allows battery access without automatically turning on gas engine when power low.

Is the Prime too short for a popup to be practical?

I live in downtown Denver, so i will always be using some sort of public charging.

My emphasis is the electrical system, rather than the vehicle as the base. With the proper electrical system, i feel less constrained. A good shot of the Prime roof. The lines are solar panels.

A solar panel roof popup is the most useful type of roof, as illustrated in the RAV4 Prime picture. The idea is recharge a HV DC battery, rather than a 12VDC battery. This is an example of why I emphasize the HV electrical system as the base, rather than the vehicle frame. The charger is the most important part of the electrical system to me. Chargers are located inside of the car, below the rear seat, not the handheld device you plug into the wall, or plug into the car electrical inlet.

Equipped with the standard 3.3 kW on-board charger, RAV4 Prime will charge in 12 hours with a 120-volt power supply, and 4.5 hours with 240 volts at 16 amps. When equipped with the 6.6 kW charger, charge time drops to 2.5 hours with 240 volts at 32 amps.

IMG_0976.PNG

Last edited:

Of course, being that both the new Sienna and the Venza utilize the Toyota Group’s TNGA modular platform, the transition to plug-in hybrid power is more than merely feasible, it is already made real in the equally compelling RAV4 Prime. In fact, the specific iteration of the platform, the TNGA-K, is the basis for both the Sienna minivan as well as the Venza. So if the challenge is not technical in nature, it is surely a matter of time, no?

2019-LAAS_RAV4_Prime_003-1024x683.jpg
Image: Toyota
Well, remember that, at the moment, Toyota can scarcely keep up with hybrid demand as it is – in every instance except the unloved fourth generation Prius. Likely, it is more a supply constraint of the larger hybrid battery than any ideological opposition to the notion of the plug-in hybrid minivan.

Still, as other Group products such as the next Lexus NX crossover will likely gain a plug-in hybrid option, the notable absence in a core model such as the Sienna will become all the more conspicuous.

Simplification Rule #6: Think in Terms of Ratios

Ratios bring a sense of proportion to vague or ambiguous situations. For example, the 2021 Sienna battery is a mere 1.8Wh. You might recharge three or four times, or a 1:4 ratio. A 1:4 ratio is a high cost to benefit ratio. The RAV4 Prime 18Wh battery is a 1:40 recharge ratio. I generally find 1:50 ratios to be the compelling point for any type of rechargable battery.

I don't think the 2021 Sienna is a high value. I think the "Prime" trim models are high value. Don't let desires interfere with needs. I need a 40:1 recharge ratio to justify buying a hybrid. You can compress all the information about the buying decision down to this one ratio.

Actually, a 6:1 ratio, but not even close to 40:1.

Battery: 320 Wh (160 Wh range extender sold separately)

Motor: Specialized SL 1.1, torque = 35 Nm, nominal watts = 240, peak watts = 240

Charge Time: 2 hrs 20 mins

You can also evaluate from a operation-to-charge ratio. The longer you can ride on a single charge, the more enjoyable and economical.

I find the ratios particularly useful regarding power modes. My goal is a 2:1 human-to-motor-power ratio. The battery range improves. This means setting the power level to very low levels.

Ternary ratios are often more powerful than binary ratios. You might be more interested in a Venn diagram, or ternary ratio, to evaluate more complex situations. A symmetrical ternary ratio is 1:1:1. You are looking at a computer ternary ratio of Red, Green and Blue (RGB) colors.

Last edited:
Back