High Powered eBike Camping: 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV with 1500 Watt Inverter and 120V Outlet

BikeMike

The suitability of a PHEV for cold weather camping is largely dependent upon the functioning of the high voltage (HV) battery with the ignition switch in the off position. Does the HV battery automatically turn on the gas engine when battery capacity diminishes? Sleeping in a car with an electric heater and an idling gas engine can be fatal.

This is the only 2020 vehicle that I would consider. I require a Plugin hybrid (PHEV) because they have large battery packs. EBikes typically take a few hours to charge.

The 2021 Toyota RAV Prime PHEV is now available in limited quantities. I much prefer the 1500W power supply modes, because it removes the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Charging an eBike in cold temperatures could be difficult. The bike battery needs to be warmed. Some eBike batteries are not easily removed. You would need roof rack storage to fit the bike inside the cargo area.

With GT trim, you can tap directly into the PHEV's main drive battery from the rear seat and cargo area, a combined 1500W of power is at your disposal. Upgrade camping trips with a coffee maker, speakers, or even party lights for the evening. The outdoors just got a little more civilized.

Locate your nearest DC Fast Charging station to reach up to 80% capacity in about 25 minutes or visit a level two public station to reach full power in less than four hours. At home, plug into a standard 120V outlet to charge your battery in less than 8 hours, or reach full capacity in half the time, with a professionally-installed 240V charging station.

12kW li-ion battery, 90 kW generator

In the case of the new Mitsubishi plug-in, two electric motors turn the wheels. While one in the front works with the gasoline engine to power the front wheels, a separate electric motor in back turns the rear wheels, giving the Outlander PHEV all-wheel drive. Sophisticated controllers operate automatically, coordinating both motors, along with the gas engine, to provide both four-wheel traction and more precise motion control. The system aims to counteract forces like vehicle yaw and body roll that make motoring less efficient and sometimes more dangerous. Mitsubishi calls the approach ‘super all-wheel control,” or S-AWC.

Last edited:
From the owners manual.

The engine will automatically turn on when the HV battery depletes.

IMG_0967.PNG

IMG_0968.PNG

Seems like the existing car heater and fan will run on battery power for ten hours, but unverified. What temperature the car is capable of maintaining in cold temperatures is unknown.

Removing the back seats provides sleeping area for two.

Last edited:
The appliances would need to fit in a small area, like a front seat, if two people were to sleep overnight. A gym membership could suffice for shower needs. A roof rack would be necessary.

I owned both a Honda Odyssey and a Subaru Forrester.

The FWD Odyssey was inconvenient in snow. The Odyssey was comfortable for camping.

The Forrester always felt cramped, but handled Rocky Mountain snow storms confidently.

The length of a trip would probably be the deciding factor. Weekend trips would probably be OK in the Outlander. The Outlander could be stuffed with provisions. For any longer than a weekend, the car might only be suitable for one person.

The sucess of any particular trip will depend upon circumstances, because the Outlander is highly constrained. How much battery power is consumed while stationary plays a significant role. The battery can be recharged by the gas engine.

The 2021 Chrysler Pacifica is the only vehicle under consideration. I am waiting for details from the dealer. I expect the Pacifica will cost about $15K more than the Outlander. The Pacifica has the lowest reliability ratings possible.

Last edited:
Back