Hi from UK

Tisme

Hi
I've been browsing the forum for a while and though I should introduce myself. I've been riding mountain bikes for fun since 86 but not been riding much in the last few years as I'm getting old. Bought a Whyte Coniston e bike a few months ago and really enjoyed it so now moved to a Haibike hardseven so I can do some off road.
Looking forward to being able to get out and play again

Thanks. Only got it sat and found Sunday that someone else must have ridden it and had the chain come off. Marks and bent hanger, three bent links on chain. Today they said they would replace chain and hanger foc. It's not what you expect from a new Bike!

Oh wow!

I can relate to a degree, I just recently bought my first eBike and it was a floor model, but I knew that going into the purchase that it was heavily tested hehe.

But I talked to my local bike shop as well as the actual eBike company and felt very taken care of if such issues would arise (within warranty of course)

Hope it all gets sorted out for you, cheers!

Take care, ride safe!
Marc V

Took the bike back today as was told that I must have done the damage! After a bit of a rant and pointing out a few bits they are now going to give me a new Bike and have the ex demo back. Hope they don't try and sell it as new again!
Tomorrow is going to be interesting

Hi
I've been browsing the forum for a while and though I should introduce myself. I've been riding mountain bikes for fun since 86 but not been riding much in the last few years as I'm getting old. Bought a Whyte Coniston e bike a few months ago and really enjoyed it so now moved to a Haibike hardseven so I can do some off road.
Looking forward to being able to get out and play again
Hi Tisme,
Hope to be going to the Isle of Man next year for the TT(motorcycles races)and then when I get back
to England I want to tour by e-bike.I want to rent one from the Southampton area.If your from that area
are you aware of any organized bike tours?Never been to the UK,I'm from Chicago.Any info would help.
Thanks,Ron

Hi Tisme,
Hope to be going to the Isle of Man next year for the TT(motorcycles races)and then when I get back
to England I want to tour by e-bike.I want to rent one from the Southampton area.If your from that area
are you aware of any organized bike tours?Never been to the UK,I'm from Chicago.Any info would help.
Thanks,Ron
I've raced in the Isle of man 3 times its a great place. I hope you've booked already as everywhere sells out fast. You really need a motorbike to enjoy the place so you can ride the circuit and watch from lots of places.
E Bike hire is as Eddie says and the downs are good fun for a ride
Pete

I've raced in the Isle of man 3 times its a great place. I hope you've booked already as everywhere sells out fast. You really need a motorbike to enjoy the place so you can ride the circuit and watch from lots of places.
E Bike hire is as Eddie says and the downs are good fun for a ride
Pete
Hi Tisme,
Wow you actually raced there,my dream is just to go.Would love to here about it sometime(what class,brand of bike etc)
The deal is, a friend of mine booked for eight and one might have to drop out for personal reasons,so I might get to go
by default,my fingers are crossed.And yes the booking includes a rental motorcycle for each person while on the island.
I have been hoping for a opportunity like this for at least 20 years,so this is kind of a bucket list thing for me.
If I go I'm planning on staying an extra 2 weeks after everybody goes home to tour by motorcycle and reserve e-bike
touring for the cities to take in some of the culture.Thanks so much for the reply.
Ron

Not an organised tour, but they do hire out ebikes, and are along coast from Southampton. http://www.50cycles.com/50cycles-shoreham-by-sea.html

Can I ask why you have chosen Southampton as your base?

If you fancy an eMTB ride and could cope with a large size framed bike, I could always take you for a ride up on the South Downs.
I mentioned Southampton because I believe thats where we are disembarking from.When you have a chance please tell me more about riding
on the South Downs.This all sounds very exciting,I've been wanting to visit England as long as I remember.Also since I'm a big Titanic buff
I want to see where it was docked.Thanks EddieJ for the reply.
Ron

Hi Tisme,
I'm soon to be an e-mtb devotee also. This will be a new adveture for me . Rented a few so will be nice to have my own. Been riding on streets for about 2 yrs. on an ebike, will be nice , to not be dodging 5,000 lb. Behemoths. Still I will need to learn slowly as your CG is changing by the moment. See you maybe on some USA trails someday.

Hi Tisme,
Wow you actually raced there,my dream is just to go.Would love to here about it sometime(what class,brand of bike etc)
The deal is, a friend of mine booked for eight and one might have to drop out for personal reasons,so I might get to go
by default,my fingers are crossed.And yes the booking includes a rental motorcycle for each person while on the island.
I have been hoping for a opportunity like this for at least 20 years,so this is kind of a bucket list thing for me.
If I go I'm planning on staying an extra 2 weeks after everybody goes home to tour by motorcycle and reserve e-bike
touring for the cities to take in some of the culture.Thanks so much for the reply.
Ron
Have a great time over there but be careful. As I said I raced it but more people are killed in road accidents than racing each year, remember what side of the road you should be on when your doing a lap using both side. The speed limits in the towns are very strict and if you fall off you're nicked but otherwise there's no limit. I went passed a police car on my race bike while the roads were open at over 150mph, seemed so wrong, but fun.

Hi Tisme,
I'm soon to be an e-mtb devotee also. This will be a new adveture for me . Rented a few so will be nice to have my own. Been riding on streets for about 2 yrs. on an ebike, will be nice , to not be dodging 5,000 lb. Behemoths. Still I will need to learn slowly as your CG is changing by the moment. See you maybe on some USA trails someday.
I would love to do some riding in the US, one day maybe

Ron I wasn't fast the best was 15th in the senior race. Lots of scary moments though

Last edited:
Sounds like we all have a couple of common interests. :)

Back in the day! I never did kick my bad habit of covering the clutch when riding a 4 stroke.
2 strokes have a lot to answer for.:D

dsc01356medium1ff.jpg DSC03057.JPG DSCF3950.JPG rfv4003fs.jpg

Sadly it all ended in a very big low, with the death of one of my bests mates son. I quit there and then, as I had already been struggling to look at my daughter asleep as I would head off to race. A day that will haunt me forever, and one that I have never got over. Time doesn't heal.

An amazing tribute to him.

Bemsee, tribute ride 025.jpg

This picture that measures 30" x 30" also takes pride of place in my house.

P1220197a.jpg

A man that inspired me as a lad to go off racing around the neighbourhood on my push bike, then later onto motor cycles, and I also had the pleasure of bumping into him one day purely by chance as he passed through my home town of Crowborough. I didn't understand a word of what he was saying, but it made no difference. :)

I must admit that the IOM has never really done it for me, and have always preferred the Irish racing scene. People look at me as though I'm mad when I tell them that, but that is how it has always been.

Ron, I mentioned the staying in Southamptom with query, as it might not be quite what you are hoping for. I'm sure that Tisme would agree with me, when I say that our port towns generally leave quite a bit to be desired.

Last edited:
Eddie we have more in common than you know. My daughter I'd called Jo after Joey my all time hero. He use to go to see John Harris who sponsored him in Crowborough. I only met him briefly in the island. Unfortunatly I lost my best friends and like you say time does not heal.
I raced in 85 to 89 and some of them pics look familiar like bottom bend at brands in about 86!

We must go for a ride sometime.

Eddie we have more in common than you know. My daughter I'd called Jo after Joey my all time hero. He use to go to see John Harris who sponsored him in Crowborough. I only met him briefly in the island. Unfortunatly I lost my best friends and like you say time does not heal.
I raced in 85 to 89 and some of them pics look familiar like bottom bend at brands in about 86!

We must go for a ride sometime.
Yes Tisme Joey Dunlop was one of the all time greats.
I have a vhs tape of the last time he raced on the IoM.
I loved to listen to him talk.
I believe he was doing a charity race when he was killed.
He went down dying what he believed in!

Sounds like we all have a couple of common interests. :)

Back in the day! I never did kick my bad habit of covering the clutch when riding a 4 stroke.
2 strokes have a lot to answer for.:D

View attachment 13992 View attachment 13995 View attachment 13998 View attachment 14001

Sadly it all ended in a very big low, with the death of one of my bests mates son. I quit there and then, as I had already been struggling to look at my daughter asleep as I would head off to race. A day that will haunt me forever, and one that I have never got over. Time doesn't heal.

An amazing tribute to him.

View attachment 14004

This picture that measures 30" x 30" also takes pride of place in my house.

View attachment 14007

A man that inspired me as a lad to go off racing around the neighbourhood on my push bike, then later onto motor cycles, and I also had the pleasure of bumping into him one day purely by chance as he passed through my home town of Crowborough. I didn't understand a word of what he was saying, but it made no difference. :)

I must admit that the IOM has never really done it for me, and have always preferred the Irish racing scene. People look at me as though I'm mad when I tell them that, but that is how it has always been.

Ron, I mentioned the staying in Southamptom with query, as it might not be quite what you are hoping for. I'm sure that Tisme would agree with me, when I say that our port towns generally leave quite a bit to be desired.
EddieJ,
So glad I brought up motorcycles,your right there is a lot of common interest here.You seem to go way back on bikes too.
Sorry to hear about your mates son,I can sympathize,I had a cousin killed on a bike about 13 years ago,but love the sport too
much to give it up.Maybe one day you'll get back on.Thanks so much for sending the pics and the memories.Always love to hear
from fellow riders from different parts of the world.Thats what makes this sport so great,it transends all cultures.
As far as Southampton and other port towns of England,it's the history that was made there that interests me the most.
Some of the greatest ships in the world were docked there.
Ron

Back