Hi from the PNWet

skagitstan

Hi all,
Thanks for letting me join up.
I'm Stan, and I've just ordered a RadRover. Based largely on reviews and comments here.
Hopefully it will be shipped, and maybe arrive this week...I live only about 1.5 hours north of Rad Power.

Our initial reason for buying is that we do a lot of boondock camping, mainly on rough, little traveled F.S. roads. It occurred to us, after a few try-to-turn-around adventures, that it might be clever to scout out ahead. First thought was a drone, but that has minimal range. Then to haul a small motorbike (I lust after a TW200), because that would also let us go off for help if Annie (our DIY campervan) ever got stuck.
Then we realized that an e-bike should do almost anything we'd want out of a motorbike, at a lot less weight, a little less cost, and a lot less noise.
I haven't ridden 2 wheels in years, my current motorcycle has a sidecar. Which is another good reason for going with an e-bike. Any crashes will be slower than if gas powered.

So here we are. I look forward to picking the brains and experience of you folks who come before me.

Now that we're committed, I'm also starting to imagine all the other stuff I can use it for...like getting our Malamute a lot more exercise than her trying to go at my walking speed up on the local DNR logging roads.
So we have a 1up rack ordered as well, along with a bunch of other handy stuff...like a bike helmet.

We are also very seriously considering getting an e-trike for my wife. She is disabled with CMT, a degenerative peripheral neuropathy disease. So she can't ride 2 wheels any more, and is limited in how far she can walk. A trike would mean we could actually once again go for rides together, like on our local rail-to-trail, possibly on DNR roads, etc.
We are looking at the Evolo Compass, which seems to meet her likely needs, has a differential, and brakes both rear wheels. And Evolo is also not across the country and seems to have a good trial and return policy. Which might be important, since her disability makes it uncertain how well she can get on, off, and handle the bike. As a sidecar driver, I'm quite familiar with the ways a 3 wheel vehicle can be unpredictable. Which is why I worry about stuff like differentials and symmetrical braking.

If folks have some other suggestions, we'd love to hear them!

Last edited:
There is a sub-forum here on trikes, and also one on disabilities and e-biking, so hopefully you can find some advice there. Congrats on your purchase - I think it makes a lot of sense as an RV-dinghy and general car-replacement.

There is a sub-forum here on trikes, and also one on disabilities and e-biking, so hopefully you can find some advice there. Congrats on your purchase - I think it makes a lot of sense as an RV-dinghy and general car-replacement.
Thanks!
We have already started looking at those subs, looks like a lot of valuable info.

But, we decided yesterday to go ahead and order the Evelo Compass for her. They had a returned 2019 that was at a good discount and very low miles.
So now we are busy thinking about ways to assist her getting on and off, and I'm busy researching stuff like hydraulic brakes.

I also have an off-the-wall idea for a powered brake assist, using a small wheel mounted generator, a linear actuator or two, an Arduino, and a couple of strain gauges. Of couse, that would not be designed before the Evelo return period is gone, but if we can make a temporary hack to allow her to get used to the trike, it might be a neat permanent fix.

Back