Graduating from 1 bike to 2

FrankR

Region
USA
City
Milky Way Galaxy
I haven't been here in a while. I jumped into the ebike world last year in March or April I think. I had a great time last year. Bought basically a Lectric clone - from a 3rd party dealer selling Paselec ebikes. It's possible Paselec makes Lectric bikes, but I don't know. All I know is the frame and display of my bike are absolutely identical to Lectric XP 2.0s.

I wound up regretting my purchase last year, because I spent too much time obsessing about support. Parts aren't available. Still, nothing has happened with the bike, and I enjoy it very much.

This year, I have been making the case to my wife to also get an ebike, so that we can have this hobby together. She was afraid, but, she eventually agreed. I spent lots of time thinking about what would make sense for a second purchase. I really wanted to purchase a Pedego because we have an excellent dealer in the area. Ultimately, we couldn't afford it. Those bikes, with support, were about 2x the cost of a Lectric.

So, I thought I'd buy my wife a Lectric - so that we'd have very similar bikes, and, we'd share batteries. Her bike thankfully arrived in great shape, and we have been out a few times together now.

I'm doing lots of reading and watching some great videos online, and I'm just going to take on maintaining them myself.

Going the least expensive route (lectrics has had decent support from what I have seen from my friends) to get your wife riding with you is the best way to get that more expensive bike. If she enjoys it, awesome, you both win. And also great because even if she doesn't ride in the future, she'll have an understanding why you want a better bike. Hopefully.

Good point. :)

But if I ever was going to move out of this price point, and could afford it, I imagine the incentive would be to return to motorcycling - electric.

:)

Good point. :)

But if I ever was going to move out of this price point, and could afford it, I imagine the incentive would be to return to motorcycling - electric.

:)
We struggled with the price on our first/early bikes as well. So much so I built our first bikes! Now, several years (and several bikes) later, realizing how much and how often they are used, we've found it's MUCH easier to justify the nicer (and more expensive) bikes. Nothing to get carried away over, but the price of a mid range (2-3k) bike is no longer scary.

Back