Hi Folks

Methead

Region
Canada
City
Victoria
Hi everyone. Had our Magnums for about a year. Joined to share an issue my wife has had on her Magnum LS.

Anyways, her bike died on a huge hill on Salt Spring Island 10 days ago. 3 bars on the battery, no display, just shut off. Re-started and it had power through the pedals and throttle but as soon as she tried pedaling under load it died again...no display etc. Took the bike in and they tested the battery, charged it, took it out for a quick 2k run and said it seems ok. Yesterday we went on a 40 K ride and the same thing happened. Any thoughts? Wondering if I have a dead cell?

Many thanks to Jamie @ Cit-e bikes here in Victoria and Stephen from Magnum Canada!

I sounded from the description that the motor was overheating and shutting down, not a battery issue. The heat builds up and bakes in, so shutdown can be delayed, happening for example after a climb.

It was a leisurely ride (albeit with hills) and only about 24 C (75 F) OAT and mine didn't have any issues (same make and battery). The second time it happened it died at roughly the same time/length of ride/battery life. Jamie @ Cit-e Cycle and Stephen @ Magnum agree its the battery. But thanks for the feedback!

Good to hear. Internal overheating is not dependent on ambient temperature.

Back