Hi folks. Is this where I can get advice about my Haibike?

I am quite a new Haibike rider (Yamaha Sduro) and I am slowly coming to grips with how everything works. I cant say I know much at all but I'm trying to learn :) As has already been said, you have to watch out for those engineers LOL.
One thing goes through my mind. There is a sensor on the spokes which measures the bikes speed and provides an input signal to the computer.
Somehow the computer gets a signal that you have started pedalling again which I think is independant. The combination of that "pedalling" signal, plus the measured wheel speed results in a certain "assist" being applied to the motor. The wheel has to turn a complete revolution before the "speed" signal catches up and could it be that this gives the "hesitation" that you sense ??
I am quite a new Haibike rider (Yamaha Sduro) and I am slowly coming to grips with how everything works. I cant say I know much at all but I'm trying to learn :) As has already been said, you have to watch out for those engineers LOL.
One thing goes through my mind. There is a sensor on the spokes which measures the bikes speed and provides an input signal to the computer.
Somehow the computer gets a signal that you have started pedalling again which I think is independant. The combination of that "pedalling" signal, plus the measured wheel speed results in a certain "assist" being applied to the motor. The wheel has to turn a complete revolution before the "speed" signal catches up and could it be that this gives the "hesitation" that you sense ??

Bikes were so easy to maintain and understand not so very long ago. Whith this bike I was given two explanatory handbooks and a DVD. If I did not need an Ebike to get me back on two wheels I would still be off-roading on my Scott which I really liked.

You will find that everything is as common sense as with the bikes you are used to. I found my manuals to make interesting reading especially re the electric drive but not really any "practical" help with "bike" stuff. I ordered my bike on line and I had to finish putting it together myself. I went looking for help in those books etc and was very disappointed. I wanted to find out how tight to tighten the handlebar stem to the forks and there was nada. Fortunately I have been working on bikes and mechanical things since I learned to re-grease cup and cone bicycle axle bearings when I had my first bike at age 13 so I just used my common sense.
Remember though that things that screw into the frame are screwing into aluminum alloy so go easy on the tightening torques LOL . Short allen wrenches are short for a reason :). I am going to have to buy a different type of torque wrench, one that works with low inch-lb figures. I have no problem with the metric figures, just working with such low values !

Well I certainly have plenty of mechanical engineering experience ranging from marine steam turbines and reciprocating engines, marine diesel engines, nuclear laboratory and power station work, coal colliery workshop and of course all the fun of maintain old motor cycles, cars and Land Rovers. Of course all of this pales into insignificance when discussing the problem with the guy who advised me that he was an engineer and therefore he could assure me that there was no fault in my bike. I reckon that I was maintaining my bikes when he was just a twinkle in his father's eye! One of the problems associated with being an old geezer is that of being really listened to and being taken seriously. Anyhow, thank you for your advice.

With past experience like that, you don't have a thing to worry about !! Every thing will come second nature to you :)
I too am an old geezer and I too find that people don't take you seriously and don't believe you know what you are doing. When they have a problem however, guess whose door they knock on first!
We must have a similar background. I too used to file my own cotter pins when a crank became a bit loose.
I have two BMW motorbikes with engines I have refurbished that date to the early 60's. One is a 600cc boxer twin and the other is a 250 cc single. I also have a diesel LandRover that I converted from gas to diesel about 7 years ago.
I see you have a Scott mountain bike. My favourite motorcycle was a Scott Flying Squirrel (no connection). A 600 cc water cooled 2 stroke twin. They are basically unknown in USA and in the old country they are mostly in museums.
I rebuilt that engine when I was an Engineering apprentice and I wish I still had it :).
All the best with that "new-fangled" bike of yours !!

The Scott Flying Squirrel - now that really was a bike! My last Land
Rover was a former military Lightweight which had been converted to gas fuel. It was okay but rather noisy, cold and not too reliable but good for towing our caravan across to Skye. Lots of maintenance required which interfered with my other interests so when I sold it, I felt as though I had retired again.
I too remember filing cotter pins to size for the cranks. Gnutti introduced the first cotterless bottom bracket assembly and Harden the first wheel hubs with bearings that were not adjustable. I was a very keen touring and time trial cyclist in those days. The then I discovered rock climbing and needed a motorcycle to get to and from the crags.
Getting back to this Ebike, do you know if there is a workshop manual available?

You might find this site helpful. Its a .pdf file with many pages but some of it I find useful for the parts that are not conventional bike.

http://www.intercycle.com/media/wysiwyg/haendlerzone/yamaha/Yamaha_X94_Manual.pdf

With these forums, its hard to get a feel where the posters are in the world :) If you camped on the Isle of Skye you clearly are in the UK.
I was born in North London and grew up in the home counties but now I live in the North Carolina mountains.
I have also camped on the Isle of Skye. Last time I was there I went to a famous cairn at Boreraig near Dunvegan. My screen name might give you a hint. My cycling son lives in Perth.
I still have a Land Rover. Its a Discovery from 1998. I converted it from V8 to 300tdi. Totally unknown engine in USA and I bought the 1995 mechanics in Wales and shipped it home and did all the work myself. Still runs great.
I had a Gnutti cotterless crank set! I had forgotten that name. Made of steel and unusual because it had fluted cranks. I converted my first handbuilt bike "Hobbs of Barbican", from cottered cranks to that while I was still in high school and I used to ride time trials too, with the Southend and County Wheelers :)

Well I hope you get comfortable riding your ebike and the woes fade. A wonderful way to maintain some fitness :)

This conversation could go on forever!
We live in Strath Spey which is not too far from Skye or many parts of the north and west of Scotland.
I had totally forgotten the Hobbs bikes. Mine was a hand-built Holdsworth with all components especially selected and fitted by me of course. Such a contrast with today's straight off the shelf and therefore standard bikes. I am told that my Ebike requires a computer to trace faults and to set it up. Is this progress?

Lots for me to think about folks, thank you. My intention was to give the bike a good workout during a holiday next month. However, a very recent minor hospital procedure means that I should not ride off-road for the next six weeks or so. The best laid plans etc! I will be back with comments later.

As the famous bard said they "gang aft agley". I hope the procedure goes without a hitch and you are back on your feet and wheels really soon.

Hello,i had the same problem with my Haibike and Yamaha PW-x motor,
Also after less then 500 Km, the dealer controlled everythig and said it should be Ok, but it was not, till finaly he changed the chain with a Shimano chain, and everything was Ok
Greetong
EddyVH

Hi folks - following on from my early request for advice, the suggestion that I received from a member proved correct. A stiff link was sorted with just a wee drop of oil. The shop that supplied the bike and claimed to have searched for the problem and found no fault whatsoever, probably relied on a computer to do the work rather than get back to basic bike knowledge and maintenance.

Back