Help with my new Stromer ST2 (Not Freewheeling)

KIOMON

So I picked up my ST2 today. Did a quick spin around the block and then packed it into the car and drove 3.5 hours home. Got to the garage, put the front wheel back on, and adjusted the seat. Went to go for my first ride, and its not freewheeling. It’s scraping, and I think thats the brake (which i adjusted after that video, but its still not perfect), but there is also this electric noise, even when the bike it shut off. Turn up the volume a bit and you can hear it.

I did turn the bike on to see if it made any difference, and the motor will work, but Jesus it screams a high pitched noise, so i shut it off.

Any idea what it might be? Of course I will be calling the dealer tomorrow when they open, but also wanted to get the community’s POV. Is this something anyone has run into. It’s a huge bummer of course.

Isn’t that the brake pad clip touching the rotor ?? Is a short video but that is what i would look at 1st.
The good thing is that it’s an easy fix for a lightly skilled person. Sometimes they get out of alignment if it was not perfectly installed.

And the dealer will never do anything perfectly. Only you can learn and do it. Ebikes are vey dangerous , is very imp. To have some ebike fixing skills...enjoy the St2 and i hope you won’t never have any major issues with it.

Soooo, got the bike fixed today at LBS. cleaned the pistons, and realigned them. All good now. Still a little noise from the motor, a slight resistance too, but i a, guessing this is normal parasitic drag.

You need to keep a watch for correct fender adjustment. Very close tolerance with the tire on an St2. That is what I thought noise was coming from.

Soooo, got the bike fixed today at LBS. cleaned the pistons, and realigned them. All good now. Still a little noise from the motor, a slight resistance too, but i a, guessing this is normal parasitic drag.

So, it was the clip from the brake pads making the noise then ?

Wow, I am surprised it was a brake problem. It sure sounded like something going on with the motor. Glad it was a simple fix. I’m hoping my problem will be a easy fix too. Always tough when the problem is intermittent.

It wasn’t the clip. It was the pads rubbing, and one of the cylinders sticking. And the fender was also just slightly rubbing apparently. But I am still miffed by the sound it was making. It definitely sounded like an electrical alternator sound, in addition to the scraping noise. @Daneflyer whats going on with your bike?

No problems lately. Going on 5 yrs. with my St2. 2015 model. Super bike. Deserves a complete detail . As it's been awhile. Go over whole bike , clean and lube chain, Check all bolts for tightness, re - torque rear wheel, as this is this is sensitive to correct performance of bike. Look over tires closely, Still on original battery , Looks like extra care is paying off in longevity, as I ride in high temps. in Texas. Glad you got yours fixed , and have many trouble free miles ahead. ?

It wasn’t the clip. It was the pads rubbing, and one of the cylinders sticking. And the fender was also just slightly rubbing apparently. But I am still miffed by the sound it was making. It definitely sounded like an electrical alternator sound, in addition to the scraping noise. @Daneflyer whats going on with your bike?
Twice now I have lost all assistance and the ability to change levels. By the time I looked down at the display it was at the start up screen. It rebooted and all was fine again. Talked to mechanic at bike shop where I purchased and he said it was probably a loose power connection to the display since it was replaced with the OMNI C when I bought it. I’ll bring it in next week to have him look at it.

No problems lately. Going on 5 yrs. with my St2. 2015 model. Super bike. Deserves a complete detail . As it's been awhile. Go over whole bike , clean and lube chain, Check all bolts for tightness, re - torque rear wheel, as this is this is sensitive to correct performance of bike. Look over tires closely, Still on original battery , Looks like extra care is paying off in longevity, as I ride in high temps. in Texas. Glad you got yours fixed , and have many trouble free miles ahead. ?
So what regimen are you following to maintain you battery in good health? I read that it is best to not go below 30% charge and only charge to 80%. It went on to say that you could double you battery cycles by following those guidelines. I was going to do that but after my commute home last night my battery was down to 32% so if I only charge to 80% I would be down to only 12%. I don’t know which shortens battery life the fastest, discharging below 30% or charge to 100% always.

Did your LBS calibrate your torque sensor? That was a huge improvement for me after my first tune up. Bike freaking flys now. It's easy to do, just jump into your menu, find torque sensor and hit calibrate.

So what regimen are you following to maintain you battery in good health? I read that it is best to not go below 30% charge and only charge to 80%. It went on to say that you could double you battery cycles by following those guidelines. I was going to do that but after my commute home last night my battery was down to 32% so if I only charge to 80% I would be down to only 12%. I don’t know which shortens battery life the fastest, discharging below 30% or charge to 100% always.

Main thing is heat and cold. Bad on the battery. In Texas heat is the thang I deal with..

1) Never charge when battery is warm, like after a ride. I usually wait until the next day early morning. Temps have usually dropped about 15 degrees.
2) Battery removed from bike and outside in the shade sometimes with a fan blowing on charger and battery. If I want to speed up cool down after a ride I will put fan on battery about an hour.
3) I try not to go below 30 or over 95 percent. Ravi taught me how to do that, you want to unplug when green light is flashing. I pull magnetic charge cord from battery 1st. Also I keep a cap over that magnetic end so nothing metallic attaches and I acedently touch end of battery. I use my smart phone timer to alert me when close to unplugging. Usually about 1 and a half hours.
4) I store the battery in one of those fire proof hover board bags. About $75 on Amazon.
5) Try not to leave bike parked in full sun. So battery can be cooling down a little on a day when. it's hot.

Don't forget to use your regen. on braking for adding juice back to battery. Just pull brake levers in slightly. You will feel some braking. This is adding juice to your battery. I only started doing that lately. Any chance I get I am fethering those brake levers to slow down and add power to battery.

Hope that helps, about all I can think of. Enjoy your Stromer. I sure do. They are really amazing bikes.. I have the clk shift . Deore XT. I think .Up or down hill so easy. Double clk. doesn't matter. So easy to ride.
Best,
David

Main thing is heat and cold. Bad on the battery. In Texas heat is the thang I deal with..

1) Never charge when battery is warm, like after a ride. I usually wait until the next day early morning. Temps have usually dropped about 15 degrees.
2) Battery removed from bike and outside in the shade sometimes with a fan blowing on charger and battery. If I want to speed up cool down after a ride I will put fan on battery about an hour.
3) I try not to go below 30 or over 95 percent. Ravi taught me how to do that, you want to unplug when green light is flashing. I pull magnetic charge cord from battery 1st. Also I keep a cap over that magnetic end so nothing metallic attaches and I acedently touch end of battery. I use my smart phone timer to alert me when close to unplugging. Usually about 1 and a half hours.
4) I store the battery in one of those fire proof hover board bags. About $75 on Amazon.
5) Try not to leave bike parked in full sun. So battery can be cooling down a little on a day when. it's hot.

Don't forget to use your regen. on braking for adding juice back to battery. Just pull brake levers in slightly. You will feel some braking. This is adding juice to your battery. I only started doing that lately. Any chance I get I am fethering those brake levers to slow down and add power to battery.

Hope that helps, about all I can think of. Enjoy your Stromer. I sure do. They are really amazing bikes.. I have the clk shift . Deore XT. I think .Up or down hill so easy. Double clk. doesn't matter. So easy to ride.
Best,
David
Thanks for your response Robie. The mechanic at the LBS told me about feathering the brakes for regen. He has 4,000 miles on his with the same brake pads so I am doing the same. Also turned up amount of braking using regen. This bike is amazing! I like how you can taylor the performance to meet your state of fitness. My plan is to reduce the amount of work the bike does as I increase my fitness level. I used to have a Chevy Volt and I realized this bike is similar as far as what you can see with the app and how you can track each ride. It’s just awesome. I updated to version 4.1.3.3 and I really like how you can now set it to show miles remaining in the normal display,but it still show percent of charge during the charging process.

Back