Help with going Tubeless on the Ripcurrent S

Lenny7118

Does anyone have suggestions to make the process go smoothly for going tubeless on the RCS and any links to the videos will help. I’ve seen some videos but not on the Fat tire rim type that come on the RCS. I’ve seen where people have many problems getting the tire to seat without leaking. Also links to the recommended tires to use and the amount of sealant to use.
Thanks

I don't know if it will help, but @Reid worked real hard going tubeless, with the widest possible tire (he crushed the chainstays to get one to fit!) on his CCS. Go to his feed and do a search for tubeless and see if there's some information there that pertains to you. He is a great experimenter and documents carefully.

I've only ridden 500 miles so far this year but the tubeless conversion continues to work fine. I enjoy the tires I choose and the sealant has to be redosed about every six months. But, no flats. About a thousand miles all told since the conversion. The crushed chainstays ruin the bike for anyone else, I will never sell it in case it might break there, someday. But so far, no issues. The CCS runs splendidly and mine has a motor that by luck of the draw is so quiet it is is virtually inaudible.

Does anyone have suggestions to make the process go smoothly for going tubeless on the RCS and any links to the videos will help. I’ve seen some videos but not on the Fat tire rim type that come on the RCS. I’ve seen where people have many problems getting the tire to seat without leaking. Also links to the recommended tires to use and the amount of sealant to use.
Thanks
I found success only by getting an air compressor and tire inflator and remove the valve core and if that big blast does not seat the tire, I would temporarily stuff it with crumpled paper to help spring the beads to the rim so the first inflation can occur. Let it sit for a bit and then deflate, remove the wads of paper, put in your sealant and pop it again with a high volume source of compressed air. I found that a $125 oil type Harbour Freight "2HP" was enough to do the job. And it is handy to have small air compressor. You won't regret owning one. The rationale is that the first dry inflation with foam rubber chunks (That would work better) is to give the tire a chance to relax and find its first seating. Then gently remove the wadding and quickly put in the sealant and inflate.

What is the wide
I've only ridden 500 miles so far this year but the tubeless conversion continues to work fine. I enjoy the tires I choose and the sealant has to be redosed about every six months. But, no flats. About a thousand miles all told since the conversion. The crushed chainstays ruin the bike for anyone else, I will never sell it in case it might break there, someday. But so far, no issues. The CCS runs splendidly and mine has a motor that by luck of the draw is so quiet it is is virtually inaudible.

What is the widest tires I can run on a CCS? I like the Maxxis brand tires.
What size tape do you use on the rim ? If you used the gorilla tape?

S
I found success only by getting an air compressor and tire inflator and remove the valve core and if that big blast does not seat the tire, I would temporarily stuff it with crumpled paper to help spring the beads to the rim so the first inflation can occur. Let it sit for a bit and then deflate, remove the wads of paper, put in your sealant and pop it again with a high volume source of compressed air. I found that a $125 oil type Harbour Freight "2HP" was enough to do the job. And it is handy to have small air compressor. You won't regret owning one. The rationale is that the first dry inflation with foam rubber chunks (That would work better) is to give the tire a chance to relax and find its first seating. Then gently remove the wadding and quickly put in the sealant and inflate.

So you used crumbled up pieces of paper in the tire than inflated it the first time dry ? Than you deflated the tire and removed the paper than did the sealant? I’m asking about the paper because you said paper first than you say rubber chunks!
How much of the paper chunks did you use approximately? Also what size tape fits the rim of the CCS, if you used the gorilla tape ?
Thanks

Back