Help with first eBike, loved the ride of the Giant Road E

XyloSesame

My wife just bought a Giant Lafree and I'm in the market for a PAS as well to keep up with her. I'm a few years shy of 50, around 5' 11", weigh in at 230#, and have been fairly inactive for the past 4-5 years (though I've never been perfectly fit). I rode both distance and flatland BMX as a youth through young adult, so I'm comfortable on two wheels. My goal is to commute 2mi one-way to work, grocery store and errands, and fitness and fun. I hope, once on a PAS, my wife and I will both extend our range and be in the saddle as much as possible. Two bikes is a fairly major investment for my family, but I don't want to buy something less than what I need; I'd love to stay under $4k if possible, but my taste seems to run nearer to $5k :/

While my wife was test riding, I had the opportunity to ride a few, too. My experience on these bikes didn't match what I expected after reading the forums and watching (too many) review videos, so I'm a bit confused...

-----

Trek Supercommuter 8S
The LBS only had a size large, but the seat at it's lowest was a good fit. The ride was phenomenal. I felt safe at high speeds and felt like it cornered and handled with confidence and ease. At low RPM, I could feel the Bosch assist kick in and at mid-speed it sometimes felt like it was taking over, but assumed this would be an easy adjustment that I would soon not even notice. The price of the Supercommuter is hard to swallow, for sure; comparing it to other online models, I'm still not sure why it is priced at $4,800 on sale.

Trek Verve
I think the Supercommuter skewed my view of this bike, but I was a bit unimpressed...

Townie, Loft, Pedego, Day6
The Electra Loft was like floating on wheels. But the 'relaxed' pedal-forward ride is not my cuppa.

Giant Quick E
I didn't really even notice the Yamaha SyncDrive, it was just easier to get up to speed and maintain; something about the motor's curve/tuning made it effortless at low speeds. Compared with the Supercommuter's Bosch, it was invisible and I preferred it's method. However, something about the ride or my posture made me feel less stable than the Supercommuter. I initially thought it was the bars, but after researching, I see they are identical to the Supercommuter.

Giant Road E
Still thinking the bars were my issue with the Quick, I asked about drops. I wasn't looking for a road bike, but my LBS suggested I try the Road E to get a feel for the Toughroad since they didn't have on in store. As with the Quick-E, I didn't even notice the SyncDrive, it was just easy. Too easy, as I quickly reached 25mph and never once felt the motor increase or reduce. The handling was like no other PAS I had ridden, the shifting was decisive and smooth, and I felt like I could take on anything. I'm not opposed to a road bike, but it wasn't in my initial thoughts; it doesn't check as many commuter boxes, is a bit more bike than I had envisioned or need, and is over my budget. But man, that ride was simply amazing.

Giant ToughRoad E
Unfortunately, this was not in store for me to ride. Comparing the geometry and style, it seems like this bike may be closer to a Quick with drops than a Road with larger tires. My LBS thought it would be a perfect middle-ground between the Quick and Road.

Trek Crossrip+
After riding the Road-E, I went back to my Trek shop and asked about the Crossrip; it looks to be a perfect bike to compare. No one has it, and no one was able to provide anything to help me guess the ride. Understandable, but unsatisfying as I had hoped there would be a Road/Toughroad type comparison to be had with Trek.

-----

Here's what I don't get: on the Giant models, I felt better with drop bars. My body position felt similar on both Giants, but having my elbows tucked seemed more stable. This is contrary to what I have read and what the LBS expected. I know this is all subjective, but there's still a disconnect in the logic side of my brain. Is it possible I was fitted wrong on the Quick and should have been more upright? I didn't have this issue on the Supercommuter and I'm not sure why.

Can anyone comment on the Road vs Toughroad? Is riding a Road similar enough to make the decision to buy a Toughroad?

There is a local IZIP retailer that I haven't visited. Should I add them to my schedule?

I would prefer to support my LBS, but are there any models online that can somewhat directly compare to what I have ridden?

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks!

Trek Supercommuter 8S
The LBS only had a size large, but the seat at it's lowest was a good fit. The ride was phenomenal. I felt safe at high speeds and felt like it cornered and handled with confidence and ease. At low RPM, I could feel the Bosch assist kick in and at mid-speed it sometimes felt like it was taking over, but assumed this would be an easy adjustment that I would soon not even notice. The price of the Supercommuter is hard to swallow, for sure; comparing it to other online models, I'm still not sure why it is priced at $4,800 on sale.

You should try the Raleigh Redux Ie (2018 model has the Brose motor) https://www.raleighusa.com/redux-ie
and the 2019 model is very similar to the Trek SC8+ (same Bosch speed motor and battery) but $1500 less. Lots of Raleigh dealers across the nation: https://www.raleighusa.com/redux-ie-step-over-r142

You could always customize the Giant Quick E by changing the stem or handlebar to fit you.
Add an elastomer-based stem like the shockstop can be useful in some cases: https://redshiftsports.com/stem

the 2019 model is very similar to the Trek SC8+ (same Bosch speed motor and battery) but $1500 less. Lots of Raleigh dealers across the nation: https://www.raleighusa.com/redux-ie-step-over-r142
I haven't been able to locate any Raleigh dealers nearby; I'm weighing taking the 100 mile drive to the larger shop in the state that has a few more options in-store, including Raleigh. You're right, the new Redux IE you linked is almost identical to the SC8 save a few downgraded components and slight geometry tweaks. It looks like a great ride.

One of my LBS had last year's Toughroad on deep discount that I missed it when I was testing over the weekend. The ride was a perfect blend of what I like and the discount made it too sweet to pass; I rode it home tonight and loved every mile.

Back