Help with Aventon Level (or Pace) PAS speeds

JJ-Boise

Region
USA
Question for an experienced Aventon Pace 500 or Level owner. I just bought two Level bikes, for myself and my wife who has bad knees and needs some pedaling assistance. She also does not want to ride more than 8-10 mph on neighborhood streets and paths that are shared with walkers. That makes Pedal Assist (PAS) useless for her, as even on PAS 1, she has to ride at least at 12 mph where it tops off. Yes, she could just use the throttle for assistance, but that isn’t ideal for maintaining a speed for any length of time. I have adjusted the overall speed limit of the bike from 28 mph to 20 mph, but that only affected the top PAS speed – it had no affect on the individual PAS top speeds. Any ideas as to how I can get the PAS top speeds lowered, or some other solution to using this bike?

I know bikes but do not know this one and looking at internet images is not giving me what I need to help you. Here are some running blind thoughts to explore. 1) Reprograming wheel diameter. 2) Adding speed sensor wheel magnets with reprograming to a lower number. 3) Playing with PAS magnets such as adding more. Can you look up the model of the display to download the user's manual? Does it have a wheel speed sensor magnet - some displays allow for up to 12 of these. Does it have a Pedal Assist wheel of magnets? If so how many.

This is a standard and unchangeable feature of the Aventon bikes and has been widely reported in the forums. Many have learned to live with it and some have adopted modulating the brakes and pedal assist. If this is a deal killer for your wife, perhaps you should return the bikes if that option is still available. Aventon makes great bikes, but they will not change their speed profiles or the lack of throttle at start. Good luck to you.

Are there Advanced Settings on your controller/display?

In other systems (like Ride1Up), there is the ability to change settings for PAS. This may be unsupported by Aventon but it doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist. :)

I know bikes but do not know this one and looking at internet images is not giving me what I need to help you. Here are some running blind thoughts to explore. 1) Reprograming wheel diameter. 2) Adding speed sensor wheel magnets with reprograming to a lower number. 3) Playing with PAS magnets such as adding more. Can you look up the model of the display to download the user's manual? Does it have a wheel speed sensor magnet - some displays allow for up to 12 of these. Does it have a Pedal Assist wheel of magnets? If so how many.
Thank you for your suggestions. I was able to change the wheel size, which didn't change the PAS threshold cut-off, but did slow the acceleration down which made my wife much more comfortable with the bike. She can live with this now (and the speedometer and odometer readings, which, of course, are way off now).

Hi JJ-Boise, try just using pedal without power in a low speed and if she needs the power assist just activate the throttle. Aventon bikes are easy to pedal without power.

Thank you for your suggestions. I was able to change the wheel size, which didn't change the PAS threshold cut-off, but did slow the acceleration down which made my wife much more comfortable with the bike. She can live with this now (and the speedometer and odometer readings, which, of course, are way off now).
JJ, did you increase or decrease the wheel size?

JJ, did you increase or decrease the wheel size?
I decreased the wheel size and the acceleration was much slower. The stock bike wheels are 27.5 inches. The settings menu lets you set the wheel size as 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27.5 and 28. I dropped it all the way down to 16.

I think I found the correct display user guide here. It seems that Aventon maybe be using a different firmware that doesn’t have all options available. I believe you are looking for “11P” settings as described in the manual, but again, you may not have access to it.

I decreased the wheel size and the acceleration was much slower. The stock bike wheels are 27.5 inches. The settings menu lets you set the wheel size as 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27.5 and 28. I dropped it all the way down to 16.
Great. Now try putting it into Metric and the speedometer will be close to accurate. 27.5 inches x .6 = 16.5 inches. Inversely, 13.2Mph (with 16.5 inch tires) x 1.4 = 22Mph (with 27.5 inch tires). If you don't get it just try it anyway. Kilometers are 40% smaller than Miles and you are telling it that it has 40% smaller tires.

Absolutely Brilliant! Way to go. The new Level with throttle on demand is supposed to have also incorporated a more mellow PAS 1-2 levels. Nope. It is still jumpy and rockets you up to 12 mph before letting go. Once Aventon incorporates a user programmable speed range and installs a more sensitive throttle, they could own the E Bike market.

Last edited:
So you were able to change wheel size using the stock black and white display and not the color with Bluetooth?

Back