Help please with choosing a bike for rail trail commute

MichBruns

Hi. Brand new here. I’m pretty new to ebikes. The commute I’d like to do is 15 miles. It takes too long on my hybrid. Two hours by the time I do the ride and shower. The goal is to get the ride around 45 min if possible. The first 14 miles are basically flat and on a straight, paved rail trail. The last mile is through a suburban city with a few hills. The commute is easy. I’m very lucky as there is not much car traffic. I’m a 5’3” woman. I prefer a more road bike / hybrid platform (not an upright bike). I test road the Trek Verve and the Super Commuter 8. I loved the Super Conmuter, but as I’m so new to all of this, I’m afraid to pull the trigger on something that costs so much and before I am educated on the choices. I think I need one that does the 28mph in order to get the time down to 45 min. Weather could be an issue as I’m in Minnesota. Thanks much. It seems like there are some really knowledgeable posters here.

Edited to add I’m am in good shape and would like to use the commute as that day’s exercise (instead of running).

A hub motor, instead of mid-drive, requires less maintenance long-term, and is super for commuting. :) I do a 15 mile commute including a rail-trail that has a 15 mph speed limit, in about 50 minutes on a class 2 ebike using PAS up to 20mph.

Hi. Brand new here. I’m pretty new to ebikes. The commute I’d like to do is 15 miles. It takes too long on my hybrid. Two hours by the time I do the ride and shower. The goal is to get the ride around 45 min if possible. The first 14 miles are basically flat and on a straight, paved rail trail. The last mile is through a suburban city with a few hills. The commute is easy. I’m very lucky as there is not much car traffic. I’m a 5’3” woman. I prefer a more road bike / hybrid platform (not an upright bike). I test road the Trek Verve and the Super Commuter 8. I loved the Super Conmuter, but as I’m so new to all of this, I’m afraid to pull the trigger on something that costs so much and before I am educated on the choices. I think I need one that does the 28mph in order to get the time down to 45 min. Weather could be an issue as I’m in Minnesota. Thanks much. It seems like there are some really knowledgeable posters here.

Edited to add I’m am in good shape and would like to use the commute as that day’s exercise (instead of running).

Hello "MichBruns" ,

Since you've test ridden the Trek Verve and the Super Commuter 8 and I own and ride two Trek eBikes, an XM700+
and a Powerfly 7 mtb I can offer you a few first hand thoughts....Trek, Giant, Specialized three of the leading eBike companies. Since you're
new to eBikes and you've chosen Trek, you've made an excellent choice.

Treks service and support are fantastic and their eBikes have a full 2 year warrantee.....In my opinion Bosch makes the best power system. Regarding the two bikes you've ridden, and the one that you'll be using to commute... my choice, hands down would be the Super Commuter 8...Why ?

Besides the fact that the SC8 is such a stunning bike, it's a Class 3 eBike which means it's top speed assisted is 28 mph. The Verve's top speed is 20 mph.... The motor in the SC8 is one third stronger /more powerful... Here are the specs on the SC8 motor, Bosch Performance Speed, 350 watt, 63Nm, 28 mph . vs The Verve motor....Bosch Active Line Wh, 250 watt, 40Nm, 20 mph

The numbers 63Nm and 40Nm ( newton meters ) are a measurement of torque or the ability of the motor to propel the bike. As you can see the SC8 is on third 'more powerful' . That is very significant is bike geek speak : ) Simply put the The Verve is not Trek's answer to a real commuter. The SC8 is a killer commuter bike from what I see.

Since you'll be spending a significant amount of time in the saddle, I strongly suggest that where ever you purchase your bike ask if they
have a qualified trained person that does bike fitting, not some one that says " Oh, that looks pretty good to me". A skilled fitting can take a hour to an hour and a half and cost $150 ish

Whatever bike you choose, consider a shock absorbing seat post. I have two of the Cirrus Body Float...Not cheap, but it really works. https://cirruscycles.com/

If you haven't done so go to the SC8 page on Treks website and read the reviews. One last thought. I've had my bikes since last July, have 2400 miles on my XM700 , 1200 miles on my Powerfly 7 and zero problems. You can expect the same.

I hope this was helpful,

John from CT

@MichBruns - the Juiced CCS has a large following on this board and is a great commuter. Though it is an upright and likely a bit large for you, though the step-through version is said to be for 5’2” and up.
I am in MPLS and you would be welcome to ride it if you would like.

Thank you for such kind and thoughtful responses. As far as I can tell the trail does not have a class or speed limit, but of course I would be thoughtful and careful anyway. Does anyone have a view on the Specialized Turbo Vado? Reason I ask is that bike shop is closest to my house, and I have three Specialized bikes already, all of which I love. But the reviews I’ve read of the Vado are hit or miss, where as the reviews of the Super Commuter seem consistently good. Again since I’m new to ebikes and also not very mechanically inclined, I think it’s important that I have a bike shop to lean on. Thank you everyone!

Thank you for such kind and thoughtful responses. As far as I can tell the trail does not have a class or speed limit, but of course I would be thoughtful and careful anyway. Does anyone have a view on the Specialized Turbo Vado? Reason I ask is that bike shop is closest to my house, and I have three Specialized bikes already, all of which I love. But the reviews I’ve read of the Vado are hit or miss, where as the reviews of the Super Commuter seem consistently good. Again since I’m new to ebikes and also not very mechanically inclined, I think it’s important that I have a bike shop to lean on. Thank you everyone!

Regarding buying an e-Bike and where it can or cannot be ridden, I personally would buy whatever bike I decided on and deal with any restrictions as they might occur, if any. I honestly think that safe, responsible careful riding goes a long way. Here in CT Class 3 e-Bikes are
not permitted on trails with a man-made surface. That has not and will not stop me from riding on said trails. I ride as you do safe and responsible....In my last 3600 miles I've seen a total 4 e-bikes since July of '17. One of those 4 bikes was mine : )

You asked about the Specialized Turbo Vado. I have no specific knowledge about the bike. I do know Specialized is a excellent company and has been around for years. I think you may have answered your own question about the Turbo Vado when you wrote...." the reviews I’ve read of the Vado are hit or miss " and as we know there are no bad reviews on the Trek Super Commuter 8. If I I were looking at bikes in your price range " hit or miss" would not be an option. : )

John from CT

A hub motor, instead of mid-drive, requires less maintenance long-term, and is super for commuting. :) I do a 15 mile commute including a rail-trail that has a 15 mph speed limit, in about 50 minutes on a class 2 ebike using PAS up to 20mph.
How many miles do you have on a mid drive? I have over 2,100 on each of two different Haibikes and not a single issue. Time to change the chains, but that's all. My Bafang geared hub motor on a third bike is shot at 1,700 miles. Sent it in and they re-soldered the hall sensors. Lasted 6 miles when I put it back on. I just got a new motor today. Hub motor has been a lot more maintenance for me!

I aam also a Specialized fan, although mountain bikes. My kids and grandkids also. I have recently looked at Haibike, Raleigh, Trek. Because of my Specialized dealer I will probably go with Specialized. I would ask your LBS about his experience with the Vado after all you have bought other bikes from him. I would also ask to see their mechanics proof of training in the electronics, no matter what brand you buy.

Good Luck!!

I almost bought the Trek Super Commuter, but then I went with the Giant Quick E +. Side by side comparison they are virtually the same, but the Giant was two grand cheaper. The 2019 model has the bigger tires now and is $115.00 less. Check it out.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/quick-eplus-2018

I am very happy with my 2018 model.

Back