Help please for a new member

Dad

Hi guys
First day out trialing a bergamont e line c n360 for a 15 mile commute to and from work. Found it to be great getting away from traffic lights but trying to pedal to keep the speed over 10mph was very very hard work indeed with legs spinning far to fast and no resistance from the gears and actually felt very vulnerable in fast traffic travelling so slowly. Even turned off the elec assistance but not any better.
I suppose I was hoping for a conventional type of bike ride with some decent pace on the flat but with some assistance for the hills.
Am I on the wrong bike or is this what it's all about. Please help me out as a rather disappointed first timer
Thanks

Not enough gear maybe? I've no problem pedaling away at my legally limited top speed of 20 miles/hr, and that's on a fat e-bike, with 10 psi in the tires. Shift up, up the assist, feels like I'm superman. Only has seven gears, but with the power on tap about 4 would be lots.

If the wheels are spinning fast and you can't get any traction in pedaling, it means you're not in a high enough gear. You need to increase (i.e. make harder) the gears so that the pedal assist will kick in. I don't know your particular ebike, but if it has torque sensing, you need to have some torque for it to sense! On my ebike I ride it in a fairly high gear, something that's higher than I would normally use if I didn't have a pedal assist motor. My pedaling is a bit slower but each spin of the pedal nets me more oomph and works better with the torque-sensing aspect of my bike. Doing that I can get my ebike up to 20mph with pedal assist, and sometimes a little more than that if I really push it.

Hi guys
First day out trialing a bergamont e line c n360 for a 15 mile commute to and from work. Found it to be great getting away from traffic lights but trying to pedal to keep the speed over 10mph was very very hard work indeed with legs spinning far to fast and no resistance from the gears and actually felt very vulnerable in fast traffic travelling so slowly. Even turned off the elec assistance but not any better.
I suppose I was hoping for a conventional type of bike ride with some decent pace on the flat but with some assistance for the hills.
Am I on the wrong bike or is this what it's all about. Please help me out as a rather disappointed first timer
Thanks
Hi guys
Thanks
If the wheels are spinning fast and you can't get any traction in pedaling, it means you're not in a high enough gear. You need to increase (i.e. make harder) the gears so that the pedal assist will kick in. I don't know your particular ebike, but if it has torque sensing, you need to have some torque for it to sense! On my ebike I ride it in a fairly high gear, something that's higher than I would normally use if I didn't have a pedal assist motor. My pedaling is a bit slower but each spin of the pedal nets me more oomph and works better with the torque-sensing aspect of my bike. Doing that I can get my ebike up to 20mph with pedal assist, and sometimes a little more than that if I really push it.

Thanks I guess the problem is the bike has no conventional gears just the Bosch variable system
Ah well, thankfully it's just on loan so maybe try something else

Back