Help me choose! ST5 or BMC Alpenchallenge AMP Cross?

macnewbie

I am considering an ST5 or an Alpenchallenge AMP Cross LTD as my next bike. This will be my first high-end electric. I have had high-end bikes (Santa Cruz and Pinarello) and electric bikes (I backed the Riide folks on their original kickstarter). I have also owned a nice but not top shelf commuter bike (Spot Brand ACME w/ gates belt drive). I have also have electronic shifting on one of my Pinarello and would prefer to stick with electronic (hence the choice of the Cross over the City).

The intended use will be commuting ~12 miles one-way to downtown Seattle and general fun/fitness riding. I no longer have the time I used to (kids) and I'm also less fit (but working on it) so really long rides (several day) rides are probably not in the cards perhaps a quick overnighter with breaks (eg to top up a smaller capacity battery pack over a long lunch) are not out of the question - eg. STP or RSVP for those who are familiar with those PNW events. The ability to take my kids on hard pack gravel or an easy trail is important too.

Can those of you who are intimately familiar with the design and handing characteristics of both bikes share your opinions on which would suit me best? Even better if you have first hand experience riding both bikes.

I don't mind paying a bit more for the range and the bells and whistles of the ST5 if it can become my go-to bike. How does it perform off pavement? Not gnarly single-track but say a forest service road?

Thanks in advance!

ST5 is an incredible machine but handles very differently from BMC. I don't think it is suitable for single-track either.
What it offers is superb performance on paved surfaces, high speed, powerful assist and long range.

BMC on the other hand is very agile and much lighter. It does not have the top speed of ST5 but you can get decent range out of that. If you want to haul kids or cargo with BMC, your range might go down considerably.

I think you should also consider Trek Domane+ HP.

It has all the latest hardware, with the range extender battery, you could easily do 100 miles and can upgrade the shifter to Di2 or Sram AXS.

Since this is going to be a big purchase, I would try to rent to each one to get a feel of it. This will give you immense insight into various aspects like speed, range, power etc.

the ST5 if it can become my go-to bike. How does it perform off pavement? Not gnarly single-track but say a forest service road?

The ST5 is a fast bike for paved roads. If you will ride on gravel, I strongly recommend the WREN fork - and advanced riding skills, then the ST5 is very fast.

First, check out if the LBS is really capable to support your chosen bike. Even the most expensive e-bikes tend to break and you may be stuck with a broken e-bike nobody can repair or replace.

ST5 is an incredible machine but handles very differently from BMC. I don't think it is suitable for single-track either.
What it offers is superb performance on paved surfaces, high speed, powerful assist and long range.

BMC on the other hand is very agile and much lighter. It does not have the top speed of ST5 but you can get decent range out of that. If you want to haul kids or cargo with BMC, your range might go down considerably.

I think you should also consider Trek Domane+ HP.

It has all the latest hardware, with the range extender battery, you could easily do 100 miles and can upgrade the shifter to Di2 or Sram AXS.

Since this is going to be a big purchase, I would try to rent to each one to get a feel of it. This will give you immense insight into various aspects like speed, range, power etc.

The ST5 is a fast bike for paved roads. If you will ride on gravel, I strongly recommend the WREN fork - and advanced riding skills, then the ST5 is very fast.

First, check out if the LBS is really capable to support your chosen bike. Even the most expensive e-bikes tend to break and you may be stuck with a broken e-bike nobody can repair or replace.

Thank you all for engaging. A few clarifying points:

Commuting will be one of the primary uses so I definitely need the rack. I think that rules the Domane+ out.

I won't be hauling any kids - they will pedal their own bikes - and that determines the type of "off pavement" use this bike would see. It will be 85% pavement, 10% hard pack, and maybe 5% loose gravel.

I am lucky to live in a very bike friendly area with multiple dealers servicing both the Stromer and BMC brands.

Also, if it helps, the price difference I am looking at is not the 67% that MSRP suggests - much better deal on the ST5.

The Stromer is a great bike and perfect for the 85% of paved riding you are planning. I have an St-2 and love it. I would jump on the St-5 for the di-2 shifting. It has to be terrific. I also have a Vado 6 when is is a great ride on pavement and comes with a shock and is 12 lbs or so less than my ST-2, for close to half the price on an ST-5

If the mission is commuting- Stromer hands down. I love the way my old ST-1 Ltd handles and my 14 mile commute went from an hour plus to about 45min (hilly terrain) and I don't break a sweat.

I am considering an ST5 or an Alpenchallenge AMP Cross LTD as my next bike ... I have also owned a nice but not top shelf commuter bike (Spot Brand ACME w/ gates belt drive) ... The ability to take my kids on hard pack gravel or an easy trail is important too ... I don't mind paying a bit more for the range and the bells and whistles of the ST5 if it can become my go-to bike. How does it perform off pavement? Not gnarly single-track but say a forest service road? ...

You certainly have good taste when it comes to bikes. Both you are considering are beauties. And love the Spot reference. I have a Spot Champa (pic attached) that I've upgraded quite a bit. Spot's Acme looked like a speed demon but I never got to see one in person. I don't have experience with either bikes so my opinion isn't worth much. But if I had local sales and service for Stromer and was commuting mostly on-road then I'd be all over the ST5. On the other hand, the BMC looks if a light, agile city style bike is preferred - and looks like it could handle light gravel well with the right tires.

Attachments

• SpotChampa_dynamo1.JPG
    SpotChampa_dynamo1.JPG
    911.2 KB · Views: 425
Back