Help choosing: Radwagon vs. Blix Packa

unknown_wagon

As far as I can tell....not that many differences. I am leaning towards the Packa for the dual battery, but also there is way less reviews for the Packa, like how its held over time, etc. Whereas the RadWagon has far more user reviews and time invested in the bike. I cannot see any major parts differences...The packa actually has a better warranty, but I have no idea what customer service is like.

Essentially, help. Lol.

Either will do the job & as you said are comparable on the specs. You mentioned you like the dual battery, do you have a longer commute? Rad charges $549 for a spare battery vs Blix dual battery upgrade is $400 more & Blix integrated it on the frame. I like the 24" wheel size on the Packa vs the 26" wheels on the RadWagon, smaller wheels lower the bike center of gravity. I do not like that the Packa lacks a dress/skirt guard, vs the RadWagon has one, I would suggest on the Blix if you're carrying child passengers but not using a seat with foot guards you consider adding an aftermarket dress guard for 24" wheels. I saw a rather worrying Tweet last week about a RadWagon seat tube breaking after 18 months 1600 miles attributed to a manufacturing defect, but both use the same aluminum frame material so I don't know if Blix are any more durable, and both Rad & Blix use a steel fork so at least that won't break. Otherwise they both use a throttle and pedal cadence sensor which works well enough. VC investors are pumping money into Rad who intend to use it to expand their shops and offer customer discounts on mobile van delivery and service through their partnership with Velofix, vs Blix do online sales so you would get it serviced by calling Blix to send parts to a bike shop to do the repair - Rad do this too, I don't know which has a better reputation for warranty work so you might ask on the Rad and Blix forums on here or in the owners Facebook groups for Rad or Blix. Good luck and let us know how you and your family get on with the bike you purchase.

Last edited:
At a slightly higher price point, my yubabikes bodaboda left came perfect, and doesn't recommend torque checks of all spokes monthly as Rad does. See the rad known problems thread in the brand forum. The 9 speed shimano derailleur could require less adjustment than the 7 speed kiddie grade derailleur used on radwagon. The shimano steps mid drive on bodaboda has a one-way clutch to allow free pedaling unpowered as compared to the radwagon direct drive hub, that will drag unpowered. It comes with finger guard on the rear wheel OEM. The double leg stand is now included (accessory in 2017) and really helps when loading groceries in the pannier bags. Plus a lot of child toting accessories are available. https://yubabikes.com/product-category/electric-cargo-bikes
The drop frame left copes well with my 28" inseam legs, and there is a taller frame for bigger people.
Maintenance in 2 years 4000 miles, a set of tires, 2 adjustments of front shifter stop (not on current model), I broke the front fender with my foot. Seat post tightening bimonthly, but I deleted the OEM seat clamp because it was quick disconnect and thieves like to steal bicycle seats and throw them in vacant lots. I changed out the seat, which may fit women but didn't fit me. I do take 3.5 hour trips routinely and had it extend to 5.6 hours once when the headwind was bad: before I installed electric drive. I ride unpowered when the wind is not that bad, and can get 60 lb groceries + 160 lb me up three 15% grades without using the motor.
Happy shopping.

Last edited:
Thank you Dewy in sifting the differences in these two bikes. Based mostly on there being far more usuer reviews, I think im going with the Rad. Indianajo I would LOVE that yuba but the price is like double these other bikes.

I'm wondering if you are familiar with the difference between a gear driven hub drive, and a direct drive as featured in the Radwagon and the Blix Packa?

Is the area you ride mostly flat, or will there be frequent hills? Stop and go traffic vs. longer distances between stops?

I ask because the gear driven rear hubs are a lot peppier at lower speeds (<15mph) and deal with hills much better than direct drives do, especially when loaded.

The direct drive rear hub on the Radwagon is a pet peeve here. I think it should be a gear drive for the mission I see this bike meeting (heavy loads and stop and go traffic). Other than that, I love the bike, and RAD for that matter.

I'm wondering if you are familiar with the difference between a gear driven hub drive, and a direct drive as featured in the Radwagon and the Blix Packa?

Is the area you ride mostly flat, or will there be frequent hills? Stop and go traffic vs. longer distances between stops?

I ask because the gear driven rear hubs are a lot peppier at lower speeds (<15mph) and deal with hills much better than direct drives do, especially when loaded.

The direct drive rear hub on the Radwagon is a pet peeve here. I think it should be a gear drive for the mission I see this bike meeting (heavy loads and stop and go traffic). Other than that, I love the bike, and RAD for that matter.

Thanks AHicks, yes i have investigated the difference between the two. I am perplexed rad doesn't put the gear driven hub drive on the wagon, when they do put it on other bikes of theirs (as far a i know). My terrain is mostly flat, and hills are long and gradual. From my research I don't think that would become a problem. How much time have you clocked on your wagon?

Thanks AHicks, yes i have investigated the difference between the two. I am perplexed rad doesn't put the gear driven hub drive on the wagon, when they do put it on other bikes of theirs (as far a i know). My terrain is mostly flat, and hills are long and gradual. From my research I don't think that would become a problem. How much time have you clocked on your wagon?

I don't have a 'Wagon. I have what started out life as an '18 City - which also comes with a direct drive hub. Very anemic performance from a stop, and as a bigger guy (6'2"/300lbs) riding in a rolling coastal area, I found the performance in the hills not so good either. I first doubled the OEM amount of power, to 1500w, which was much better, but still not quite there. So I installed a 1000w gear driven hub. Now have the bike I thought I was getting when I bought the City.

Since, have been struggling to understand RAD's logic on the reason direct drive hubs are used on the City or the Wagon. Makes no sense here! Now, I like to ask the question I asked you - to make sure you have a little better idea of what you are getting into. I think a lot of people are blindsided by RAD's poor choice of rear hubs. -Al

Choose the Rad. You'll have a better support experience, and better chance of the company remaining in business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All -

Are there any updated opinions or thoughts in the last year between these two bikes??

I am looking at these same two wagons (blix packa vs radwagon). I was going to post a new thread when I saw this one.

I was about the purchase the Packa because it has dual batteries, 50lbs greater weight capacity, comes with footboards and everything else between the two bikes seem to be about the same. The Packa's are back ordered until March though so I decided to jump on here to see if I should wait for them or switch to Rad or another cargo ebike.

Hi All -

Are there any updated opinions or thoughts in the last year between these two bikes??

I am looking at these same two wagons (blix packa vs radwagon). I was going to post a new thread when I saw this one.

I was about the purchase the Packa because it has dual batteries, 50lbs greater weight capacity, comes with footboards and everything else between the two bikes seem to be about the same. The Packa's are back ordered until March though so I decided to jump on here to see if I should wait for them or switch to Rad or another cargo ebike.
The RadWagon was redesigned last year and the 4th generation addressed several issues, the RadWagon 4 now has smaller 22" wheels, a geared hub motor, and a larger battery. The biggest difference now between the two is the geared motor on the RadWagon 4 has twice the torque of the direct drive motor on the Blix Packa, which means the RadWagon is better at climbing hills when loaded vs the more energy efficient motor and dual battery on the Packa means that bike will go for longer distances, TLDR: Buy the Radwagon 4 if you need to climb hills, buy the Blix Packa if you ride in a flat area.

Last edited:
The RadWagon was redesigned last year and the 4th generation addressed several issues, the RadWagon 4 now has smaller 22" wheels, a geared hub motor, and a larger battery. The biggest difference now between the two is the geared motor on the RadWagon 4 has twice the torque of the direct drive motor on the Blix Packa, which means the RadWagon is better at climbing hills when loaded vs the more energy efficient motor and dual battery on the Packa means that bike will go for longer distances, TLDR: Buy the Radwagon 4 if you need to climb hills, buy the Blix Packa if you ride in a flat area.
Thanks for the input Dewey. Looks like both bikes are now out of stock and not available for several months. Haha.

Radwagon 4 has 22" tires, which IMHO are rare or unavailable except from Rad. I saw a 22" tube on ebay, but the only tires were NOS 1.75". Old rubber can lead to blowouts, been there, done that. Blix Packa has 24" tires, which have been available for years. I can get 24" tubes at the grocery store. As far as longevity, Blix has been around 14 months since this thread started. Blix known problems thread has one entry, Rad has 12 pages of problems noted and I've seen other Rad problems in introductions (loose spokes) and parts thread (cracked wheel).
Other big wheel stretch cargo bikes are xtracycle, kona ute (the original), M2s, magnum, pedego stretch. in 20" wheels which I don't like is tern HSD.

Last edited:
Some ebikes are difficult to pedal without any e-assist. How do the Radwagon and the Packa fare as far as unassisted pedaling? Any other mid to long tails out there that have low resistance when e-assist is off?

I have a Blix Vika+. It's a folding 20" tire bike and I've put over 800 miles on it. Blix has always been great to work with and the bike is super well built. I wouldn't worry about any Blix bike.

I believe the Blix packa in 2019 had a direct drive hub motor that does drag unpowered. Geared hub motors don't drag unpowered. Magnum cargo bike has 26" wheels and a geared hub motor. Pedego stretch also has a geared hub motor. Yuba electric bodaboda, when it was briefly available last winter, had a shimano mid drive which allegedly doesn't drag unpowered. No opportunity to test it myself; the nearest yuba dealer is LA.
DD hub motors drag unpowered about like being in 2 higher sprockets than you really are. I removed a DD motor I initially installed on my yubabike bodaboda. I now use a MAC12 geared hub motor. I rode the bike all winter with the battery removed for storage under a heating pad. No drag.

Last edited:
I believe the Blix packa in 2019 had a direct drive hub motor that does drag unpowered. Geared hub motors don't drag unpowered. Magnum cargo bike has 26" wheels and a geared hub motor. Pedego stretch also has a geared hub motor. Yuba electric bodaboda, when it was briefly available last winter, had a shimano mid drive which allegedly doesn't drag unpowered. No opportunity to test it myself; the nearest yuba dealer is LA.
DD hub motors drag unpowered about like being in 2 higher sprockets than you really are. I removed a DD motor I initially installed on my yubabike bodaboda. I now use a MAC12 geared hub motor. I rode the bike all winter with the battery removed for storage under a heating pad. No drag.
super helpful, thanks!

Back