Help choosing ebike for Austin Riding

BobbyD

Hello Friends

I am a 56 year old man who recently moved from NYC to Austin TX. I was planning on getting a car or motorcycle but found that Uber is much easier for me to get around town.

I decided to purchase an ebike to explore city and trails and to get the health benefits from exercising.

I am overwhelmed with all the types of bikes and manufacturers available. I do NOT work so this bike will not be used for commuting. I am not mechanically inclined so reliability is important. It will be used every day 3 to 4 hours

I have owned a number of Harleys and always felt safer on the bikes that had the fat front tires like a Fatboy or Road king. I am thinking the same goes for ebikes. People have told me tell me I should be looking at hybrid type bikes because tire is thinner. My thought is if bike has a powerful battery, the resistance from fatter tire will not be an issue. I like speed and torque so I want a 52V motor.

I will also be hauling around a lunchbox size battery powered guitar amp and have my guitar on my back with a shoulder case.

I am willing to spend up to $3500 as this will be my only form of transportation in Austin and will be used everyday so reliability is important to me like most people.

Can anyone recommended a brand/bike and style of bike I should be looking at

Thanks in advance for helping newbie out.

Shop at a local bike shop, just start test riding. You'll get the correct frame size, style of bike, and features you like. You might like a cargo style, like the Radwagon for an internet bike, a Tern GSD, or Spicy Curry by Yuba from a dealer. The Tern is a little above your price range though. If you do want to purchase on line, you will be required to hire Velofix for assembly and all future repairs. I imagine they service Austin.

80 HP bikes need a 5 to 8" tire for control. 500 to 1000 watt bikes do okay with 2" tires. Pedego is moving a lot of fat tire bikes (3-4") around here. Voltage of battery is not the indicator of power, wattage of motor is. They are all rated in watts as the government is into this. Top speed is also rated, with class III being illegal in some states and on most off road paths. Bikes that look like a scooter are probably required to be licensed in my state - beware.

The Bicycle Sport Shop has 5 locations in and around the Austin area. The carry Specialized, Trek, Izip, Yuba, GoCycle and Electra ebikes. Great folks to deal with.

Welcome to Austin. Check out Electric Avenue , e bike shop in the triangle. Mark or Audry will help you out.

Hello Friends

I am a 56 year old man who recently moved from NYC to Austin TX. I was planning on getting a car or motorcycle but found that Uber is much easier for me to get around town.

I decided to purchase an ebike to explore city and trails and to get the health benefits from exercising.

I am overwhelmed with all the types of bikes and manufacturers available. I do NOT work so this bike will not be used for commuting. I am not mechanically inclined so reliability is important. It will be used every day 3 to 4 hours

I have owned a number of Harleys and always felt safer on the bikes that had the fat front tires like a Fatboy or Road king. I am thinking the same goes for ebikes. People have told me tell me I should be looking at hybrid type bikes because tire is thinner. My thought is if bike has a powerful battery, the resistance from fatter tire will not be an issue. I like speed and torque so I want a 52V motor.

I will also be hauling around a lunchbox size battery powered guitar amp and have my guitar on my back with a shoulder case.

I am willing to spend up to $3500 as this will be my only form of transportation in Austin and will be used everyday so reliability is important to me like most people.

Can anyone recommended a brand/bike and style of bike I should be looking at

Thanks in advance for helping newbie out.
A bit of busking... I like it!

Welcome to Austin. Check out Electric Avenue , e bike shop in the triangle. Mark or Audry will help you out.

The challenge I had at Electric Avenue was they were very limited on ebikes in stock for a test ride.

Last edited:
Ok I'm just as new as you. Went through the same "Where to begin" machinations. One thing I learned - well with help from those here I learned a lot of things - working with a local dealer is to be seriously considered. I've heard nothing but good about Rad and Juiced for example, but when things go awry dealer support is what you'll want. Just as there's more to like about an e-bike there's more to cause problems than on a standard bike.
Also - from the e-bikes I've test ridden - fat tires on paved or hard packed trails are a lot harder to straight pedal (without PAS) than more thin tires. The bike I chose has tires a bit over 2". I found them comfortable and stable. But I don't see myself riding rough trails.
JMO
Lew

Sounds like your best bet would be a fat bike that allows you a lot more versatility with carrying more gear, etc. If you do not want to carry excess baggage on your bike, there is always the option of purchasing a bike trailer. ie: Bike Cargo Trailer with Waterproof Bag. Evo Adventure trailer. Feel free to post your experiences here as well as asking for assistance along the way towards your purchase. Happy shopping!

You’re in luck. Austin is a great town for ebikes.

First, get down to Bicycle Sport Shop on S. Lamar (at Barton Springs Road). They’ll rent a large number of ebikes for $42/day. I strongly recommend a few days of rental, which should help you figure out what type of ride bets fits your needs.

Second, know that there’s a city rebate for ebikes through the utility company. Buy local and you’ll get $300 back (through your utility bills). It’s a great deal.

Third: I suspect that hours of riding with a guitar on your back will get old quickly. I like the trailer idea: a strong motor should make the drag negligible.

Fourth: my Raleigh Redux has 2.8 inch tires (or are they 2.4?) Anyway, I love them, and find that tires wider than that are unnecessary. Remember that “fat tire” bikes were specifically designed for riding on snow and sand. You should probably get front suspension and might even consider a full suspension bike set up for road riding (slick tires).

Good luck!

Back