Helmets- full face?

One peak of 25 mph broke the chin. The other times I hit my chin I just needed stitches at the e-room.
I fell off a horse 6 years ago and shattered my shoulder. I was wearing a helmet and it saved my bacon. I never even had a headache after the fall. I realize some people don't think full face helmets are necessary, but I am always reminded of what could have occured but didn't. I was very thankful for my horse helmet. I am a nervous ninny now when it comes to helmets. I'd rather be overprotected.

I am a nervous ninny now when it comes to helmets. I'd rather be overprotected.
Buy the Fox Rampage then. I own one, still totally unused. (My gf told me she would never wear it). I would sell it to you at half price, weren't we separated by the Atlantic Ocean...

Anyone advising against a full face on the basis of ventilation should have a read of this https://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2012/april/maxillofacial-trauma/. There us nothing quite like grabbing the face of someone with a 5 point fracture and pulling it forward so they can keep breathing. Or digging broken teeth out of a lower lip.

A well ventilated ENDURO ( not down hill) mtb full face helmet is perfectly suitable for cycling up untill about 30 c. Bearable until 34 on an emtb if you take it easy. These are designed for energetic mountain bike racing including uphill. They are a very different beast to a motorbike or even down hill mtb helmet - the better ones ventilate at least as well as the average commuter lid. They will have mips ( or better) rotational protection, wicking liners, and great peripheral vision.

If I was buying new right now, it'd be a choice between the convertible bell super air https://www.bellhelmets.com/bike/p/super-air-r-mips-mountain-bike-helmet/100000000500000093.html
or the fixed chin troy lee stage https://troyleedesigns.com/collections/bike-mens-helmets/products/20-stage-camo-helmet-green. Not cheap, but both offer exceptional ventilation, light weight, and are cheaper than a dentist ....

A well ventilated ENDURO ( not down hill) mtb full face helmet is perfectly suitable for cycling up untill about 30 c. Bearable until 34 on an emtb if you take it easy. These are designed for energetic mountain bike racing including uphill.
You know how much I respect you PDoz -- and MTB riding is another kettle of fish -- yet wearing full-face helmet on a Class3 e-bike on-road would look a bit funny... Taking into consideration no road-cyclist wears full-face helmet even if professionals ride 50+ km/h in SPD pedals and they sometimes fall... So I cannot fully agree the full-face helmet is necessary. For example, the only European country requiring wearing the full-face helmet on S-Pedelec is the UK.

You know how much I respect you PDoz -- and MTB riding is another kettle of fish -- yet wearing full-face helmet on a Class3 e-bike on-road would look a bit funny... Taking into consideration no road-cyclist wears full-face helmet even if professionals ride 50+ km/h in SPD pedals and they sometimes fall... So I cannot fully agree the full-face helmet is necessary. For example, the only European country requiring wearing the full-face helmet on S-Pedelec is the UK.

For the first few months I felt self conscious wearing mine - but it's like wearing glasses - eventually you get used to it. You would be surprised how many people ask about it - especially on warm days.

Recreational road cyclists .... having slid down the road in full motorbike leathers , I don't think I'd be asking the lycra brigade for advice

In all honesty, PDoz, how long rides do you regularly take? :) After two-and-half-hour ride my lightweight yet Class 3 compliant helmet feels heavy... And I'm making 4-hour rides, too.

In all honesty, PDoz, how long rides do you regularly take? :) After two-and-half-hour ride my lightweight yet Class 3 compliant helmet feels heavy... And I'm making 4-hour rides, too.

midweek rides are only 1-2 hours, weekends usually 3-4 but occasionally a full day.

The fox rampage you gave is a very different beast to an enduro lid - TWICE the weight!

The fox rampage you gave is a very different beast to an enduro lid - TWICE the weight!
I don't notice the weight. I don't sweat in the fox rampage until temp gets over 97. Because of forehead pad sweat never runs in my eyes. Nobody has ever commented about it. I ride on road so looking like I'm a class 1 bike is not a problem. My weekly summer commute is 3.5 - 4 hours, more if I don't use electricity and there is a headwind.
That fox proframe would be too cold in the winter (6 F). The rampage I can wrap the one mouth vent with saran wrap to keep my mouth from freezing. I stuff the lid with a throw away bag, too. I'd be afraid of being hit by a branch through a hole on the proframe, people don't trim their trees on the sidewalks. The rampage has grills in the vents. I wear sunglasses or safety glasses; the 25 hp mowers throw trash in the road. The dump trucks dribble gravel too sometimes.

Last edited:
Anyone advising against a full face on the basis of ventilation should have a read of this https://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2012/april/maxillofacial-trauma/. There us nothing quite like grabbing the face of someone with a 5 point fracture and pulling it forward so they can keep breathing. Or digging broken teeth out of a lower lip.

A well ventilated ENDURO ( not down hill) mtb full face helmet is perfectly suitable for cycling up untill about 30 c. Bearable until 34 on an emtb if you take it easy. These are designed for energetic mountain bike racing including uphill. They are a very different beast to a motorbike or even down hill mtb helmet - the better ones ventilate at least as well as the average commuter lid. They will have mips ( or better) rotational protection, wicking liners, and great peripheral vision.

If I was buying new right now, it'd be a choice between the convertible bell super air https://www.bellhelmets.com/bike/p/super-air-r-mips-mountain-bike-helmet/100000000500000093.html
or the fixed chin troy lee stage https://troyleedesigns.com/collections/bike-mens-helmets/products/20-stage-camo-helmet-green. Not cheap, but both offer exceptional ventilation, light weight, and are cheaper than a dentist ....
Thank you! Great suggestions!

I ride in a Fox Proframe. I really like it. My commute is 17 miles and when doing 22 mph half asleep after a nightshift, I felt like I needed better protection. It breathes really well and is light for its size. I get some funny looks on the road & trail but at least if I fall or get hit, I get to keep my teeth. I read far too many stories of bike accidents resulting in huge dental bills.

Summer bike helmet with good ventilation: Met Parachute

Fall motocross helmet: I don't know what the brand is, but it is inexpensive and comfortable

Motorcycle helmet with removable chin guard: MMG Vader (The chin guard is soft plastic, so not a lot of protection.)

Cold winter helmet: Ski-doo BV2S or Modular 3 (Try in a store to figure out which one fogs the least)

I would not get a cheap no-brand motorcycle helmet off ebay..

I'd stick to renown manufactures like Alpinestars, Bell and Fox.. they very well known in both bicycle and motorcycle industry.
I used to think name brands were better when I switched my armor from a Chinese brand to Tory Lee Designs, but then I broke my shoulder during the first ride in the new armor, and my wife had to cut me out of it. I've fallen in the Chinese armor with damage to my outer clothing layer but not a scratch to my body.

I used to think name brands were better when I switched my armor from a Chinese brand to Tory Lee Designs, but then I broke my shoulder during the first ride in the new armor, and my wife had to cut me out of it. I've fallen in the Chinese armor with damage to my outer clothing layer but not a scratch to my body.
But every fall is different....apples and oranges...🍎🍊

I think this:

and this:

are better than this:

or this

I won't trust blindly in brands again.

Last edited:
I think this:

and this:

are better than this:

or this

I won't trust blindly in brands again.

Why?

There is a lot of science involved in designing GOOD protective gear. Large chunks of irrationally placed plastic go not equate to good protection. If you want to wear a suit of armour, go for it - but don't be surprised if the restrictions to movement cause more injuries in a crash ( or more likelihood if crashing )

nb I'm not arguing there is anything magical about alpine star or fox - both companies have marketing departments as well as design departments.....

Now, lets take a critical look at the first suit you linked: (call it casual observations from 35 years of motorbike stupidity )

The neck brace is actually a LEVER - a narrow rim that is likely to INCREASE upper cervical injuries! Compare it to the flat platform of a leatt neck brace that restricts upper cervical torsional movement and transfers the forces from the head to non critical ( and flexible) body regions

The shoulder cups protrude so run the risk of catching / providing point impacts with high forces.

Same goes for those elbow guards - and worse they have retaining straps around the widest section of the forearm! ( elbow guards peel / slide back in over the bars falls if they are not secured closer to the wrist , digging gravel out if forearm flaps is almost as unpleasant as having your dog licking your blood from the floor)

Good back braces are flexible so you can move whilst wearing armour. They allow natural movement but still spread impact forces to less critical areas. Turtle shells come to mind when I look at that version.

Now, on a more constructive level - if I knew I was going to crash, I'd be wearing a leatt neck brace and leatt soft shell armour https://www.leatt.com/shop/bike/pro...df-soft-shell/body-protector-3df-airfit2.html

I may not look as chunky as the knight in black plastic turtle neck , but I like the idea of protection from a company that has grown from a trauma surgeon watching his son crash motorbikes.

Why?

There is a lot of science involved in designing GOOD protective gear. Large chunks of irrationally placed plastic go not equate to good protection. If you want to wear a suit of armour, go for it - but don't be surprised if the restrictions to movement cause more injuries in a crash ( or more likelihood if crashing )

nb I'm not arguing there is anything magical about alpine star or fox - both companies have marketing departments as well as design departments.....

Now, lets take a critical look at the first suit you linked: (call it casual observations from 35 years of motorbike stupidity )

The neck brace is actually a LEVER - a narrow rim that is likely to INCREASE upper cervical injuries! Compare it to the flat platform of a leatt neck brace that restricts upper cervical torsional movement and transfers the forces from the head to non critical ( and flexible) body regions

The shoulder cups protrude so run the risk of catching / providing point impacts with high forces.

Same goes for those elbow guards - and worse they have retaining straps around the widest section of the forearm! ( elbow guards peel / slide back in over the bars falls if they are not secured closer to the wrist , digging gravel out if forearm flaps is almost as unpleasant as having your dog licking your blood from the floor)

Good back braces are flexible so you can move whilst wearing armour. They allow natural movement but still spread impact forces to less critical areas. Turtle shells come to mind when I look at that version.

Now, on a more constructive level - if I knew I was going to crash, I'd be wearing a leatt neck brace and leatt soft shell armour https://www.leatt.com/shop/bike/pro...df-soft-shell/body-protector-3df-airfit2.html

I may not look as chunky as the knight in black plastic turtle neck , but I like the idea of protection from a company that has grown from a trauma surgeon watching his son crash motorbikes.
What do you think about this one?

Back