Hello!

SJBarks

Hello from Kentucky and Florida! I’m really excited to meet everyone, and I’m also really excited to start a thread asking for your expert advice and guidance. I don’t currently (nor have I ever) owned an electric bike/trike. That’s why I’m here. It’s time to put my sadly ignored Specialized Hard Rock out to pasture, and find a proper electric trike for my next adventures, which will probably consist of trips to the beach, and the local grocer just down the road.

Welcome to the site. I live across the river from Louisville.I bike over there sometimes to shop or attend concerts @ Ky center for the Arts or the Bellevedere plaza next door.
Three wheeler with two wheels in the back, limit the turns to 5 mph. They tend to tip over.
If you look under cargo bikes category (bikes by type below) you'll see some 3 wheel bikes with two front wheels, that tip from side to side to lean into the turn. More expensive, more rideable.
I ride a cargo bike shown left, can carry up to 80 lb supplies. I'm 70 but still have my reaction time undiminished.

Welcome SjBarks to the wonderful world of e-bikes. Indianjo offers some sound advice. Paying a bit more for a something more stable is definitely worth it.

Hello from Kentucky and Florida! I’m really excited to meet everyone, and I’m also really excited to start a thread asking for your expert advice and guidance. I don’t currently (nor have I ever) owned an electric bike/trike. That’s why I’m here. It’s time to put my sadly ignored Specialized Hard Rock out to pasture, and find a proper electric trike for my next adventures, which will probably consist of trips to the beach, and the local grocer just down the road.
If you are going to the beach, you will want fatter tires for that.
If you are not used to a trike, you will hear everyone tell you that trikes ride different. If you are used to 2 wheeled riding, then your best bet is a TILTING trike. There are a couple kinds. Most are "tadpoles" which means 2 wheels in the front, on in back. But the Bintelli Trio is a standard one i front 2 in back "delta" style. When you get on/off or are at a stop, you can have the lever in the lock position and it won't tilt. So it acts like a regular trike. Then once you get going, you flip the lever to tilt and now you ride it just like a regular bike - you can turn easily, quickly and SAFELY by tilting into the turns just like you do on regular 2 wheelers. Then flick the lever again to resume locked upright trike mode. Also if you ride on uneven terrain on a regular trike, you are tosses side to side and can tip. With a tilting trike, you stay upright and the other wheels rock back and forth while both staying solidly on the ground. No tipping!
It has decent giddyup and a big lidded cargo basket. It is a solid trike as trikes go. Mid-range. But the tilting makes it my only choice.

Back