Hello, new to forum

PennyWV

Hello all.

I am in the planning stages for having my catrike converted to pedal assist. I have been talking to Jason at Electric Bike Outfitters and to one of their dealers in New York. Both have been very helpful. The EBO systems on the surface seem a little pricey, but I have been impressed with the reviews I’ve seen and pleased with my interactions with them so far. They have a couple of systems that look like they will meet my needs and without adding an excessive amount of weight to my trike.

Just curious if anyone here has any experience with the EBO products and if so what’s your opinion?

Welcome to the forum! I have no experience or know-how to share, just glad to see you here! :) I hope some knowledgable folks will chime in soon. Might I add some keywords to your thread title like "planning a catrike conversion", which might attract more folks in the know? Or "considering EBO systems for a conversion" or something? (You also are welcome to change the thread title yourself if you like this idea. Also fine, of course, to leave it as-is. :)

Hello and welcome, Penny! (My mom lives in Huntington, WV -- what part are you in?)
I too have no experience on conversions - but I'd suggest you post your questions and info about that, in a new thread, under one of the other forum headers -- rather than here in the Welcome/Intros section. (Probably under the "DIY / Kits / Custom Builds" section.) Some readers focus on certain forum topics, and may not get around to seeing your questions when they're embedded in a "welcome" thread.

Hello and welcome, Penny! (My mom lives in Huntington, WV -- what part are you in?)
I too have no experience on conversions - but I'd suggest you post your questions and info about that, in a new thread, under one of the other forum headers -- rather than here in the Welcome/Intros section. (Probably under the "DIY / Kits / Custom Builds" section.) Some readers focus on certain forum topics, and may not get around to seeing your questions when they're embedded in a "welcome" thread.

Thanks for that suggestion, I will do that. I am in the eastern panhandle near Martinsburg.

Welcome to the site. I was born in Charleston & lived in Boone Cty for 6 years. Dad was dissatisfied with all the bullying he suffered in Boone Cty schools, and mother was graduated age 15 in 1942 with no higher math or science.
I ran across EBO years ago but you didn't provide a link. EBO.com doesn't work. I think I remembered they were expensive. I did a conversion using parts from amazon and e-bay, and highly recommend one does not buy a battery from either source. I got a good battery at 2.2 times the price of the junk, from lunacycle of LA. I imagine any kit from there is supported. When I was buying hub kits luna did not have a motor that would fit in a 130 mm dropout frame - only fat tire bike kits. If you can handle the customs yourself, people on here recommend kits from Grin technologies of Vancouver and em3ev of Hong Kong.
I saved about a thousand dollars over the factory electric version by converting the bodaboda left. Also I got a hub drive, which can be exchanged for another any time. The yubabike version has a mid drive, which requires an exact replacement from the factory if there is a problem. Also mid-drives drag badly when pedaled unpowered, whereas I ride my bike mostly without power. I only use the power when the wind is over 12 mph in my face, or I'm traveling more than 25 miles. So far the $180 hub drive from e-bay has been okay, although I custom modified the axle so the bike frame wouldn't pinch the motor covers and cause them to rub the windings.
Have fun with electricity.

Last edited:
Back