Hello Members this is my first post PLEASE HELP!

For the most part I feel like I will never really hit my comic stride unless we see a Zombie Apocalypse.

My wife says I have no sense of humor. I know that's not true. I just have such a dark sense of humor that when I'm just gettin revved up I look around and no one else is having fun anymore.

Edit: Okay, back to fixin that bike in three easy steps. :)
Yo Merle!🙋‍♂️ Yeah your sense of humour is all OK mate see my latest post which includes the quote below my wife also thinks I'm a crazy because I crack up @ Monty Python she sees no humour in it o_O POOR her I say💆‍♀️

Anyway I will get roasted for getting off topic I have attacked the bike from the motor end to evaluate whether its worth re-building if it comes to that

By the way why do you Americans and Canadians say "Sodder" instead of Solder?? 🤷‍♂️ LOL look in Websters dictionary there is an L in there folks 🤣😂🤷‍♂️ just sayin! no inter continental offence meant.

Best regards
Alan
"Downunder"
BTW if you look down at the floor you will be looking at my feet

Then you're just guessing. Which leads to the question asked for another earlier. Is there any functionality or did your son give you a broken ebike. Sometimes, a controller has enough smarts to run with a broken controller, or it can be jumpered to run w/o a controller.

Seems like you've already done a lot of tests on your own. Perhaps if that other vendor knows the details of your ebike, his solution will work.

Looking at your six pin plug. Is red 48V (54V at full charge) and black is ground? When the display turns on, does the blue rise to the same voltage as red? Some controllers will run w/o the display if you jumper the blue to battery power.
In my collection, four different brands. haven't seen one that won't.
My son had was riding it until it quit he didn't know why

Regards Alan

Wow, good find.

If I typed sodder it would be either because I accidentally misspelled the word or because some words are spelled differently depending on which side of the pond you're on. And since I'm spelling challenged I might not know which it was.
So what's the story with regard to when and how long that bike was so sodden?

Worse case, if you have to go that route, a brand new 20 amp controller, LCD, with throttle, and pedal sensors is about $120 USD shipped. Does your motor have a 9 pin quick disconnect plug? If it does, then at least the connection is common. Not that hard to wire up. Just like a DIY ebike,
GO ahead, do the opposite of what I said. You can repair all sorts of things but if you have a trash battery you are back with a bike frame with wheels & pedals. Enjoy pedaling your bike unpowered into a 25 mph headwind.
I bought a new controller and 1. the brake connectors don't match any of 3 sets of handles 2. the pas sensor connector doesn't match my sensor 3. the throttle connector doesn't match any of the 3 throttles I have . My brake handles come with two varieties of connector plus one set is normally closed, the other set normally open. The controller connectors were labeled in the e-bay ad but I am not allowed to download pictures from ebay. When the controller got here the connector labels were only in chinese.
The best way to get a controller, display, brake handles, pas pickup, motor, that all match is to buy them as a kit from one vendor. ~$300 for geared hub motor & ~$200 for direct drive motor. The wheel is thrown in. You can add a battery for ~$300 more. If it turns out your old motor has the same connector as the new one & works, fine, drive it until it wears out. Then you have a spare in the shed if you wear the gears (I did @ ~4500 mi).
Or you can buy things one at a time and nothing ever works because they don't match up. Those weird connectors are sold on alibaba in lots of 100000 and you need an air tool and dies to crimp them on the wires. The brake & sensor connectors don't have names to search for them. The 11 pin juli connector is injection molded on the pins and wires, not crimped.

Last edited:
GO ahead, do the opposite of what I said. You can repair all sorts of things but if you have a trash battery you are back with a bike frame with wheels & pedals. Enjoy pedaling your bike unpowered into a 25 mph headwind.
I bought a new controller and 1. the brake connectors don't match any of 3 sets of handles 2. the pas sensor connector doesn't match my sensor 3. the throttle connector doesn't match any of the 3 throttles I have . My brake handles come with two varieties of connector plus one set is normally closed, the other set normally open. The controller connectors were labeled in the e-bay ad but I am not allowed to download pictures from ebay. When the controller got here the connector labels were only in chinese.
The best way to get a controller, display, brake handles, pas pickup, motor, that all match is to buy them as a kit from one vendor. ~$300 for geared hub motor & ~$200 for direct drive motor. The wheel is thrown in. You can add a battery for ~$300 more. If it turns out your old motor has the same connector as the new one & works, fine, drive it until it wears out. Then you have a spare in the shed if you wear the gears (I did @ ~4500 mi).
Or you can buy things one at a time and nothing ever works because they don't match up. Those weird connectors are sold on alibaba in lots of 100000 and you need an air tool and dies to crimp them on the wires. The brake & sensor connectors don't have names to search for them. The 11 pin juli connector is injection molded on the pins and wires, not crimped.
I do get the frustration. I don’t get that it’s as daunting a task as you describe. I’m familiar after searching and learning with controller availability with sorted connectors. Lyen controllers weren’t daunting at all. Connectors? JST are cheap, common, and with the correct crumpet easy peas to change. Likewise with soldered connectors . Brown and blue threw me. I’m never happy with products using those colors rather than our normal red and black. Grin has a good connectors page. Making sorting very easy.

Thanks Indianjo I tested the batteries and all seems good they are Samsung so that's not a bad start and my son said when he had it they lasted quite well I can see how frustrating you must have been with mismatching components. I just wanted to work through this as there may have been something hiding in plain sight I have found 2 broken wires 1 bent pin on a plug and I have tested all the brake switches and throttle all are now working thanks for taking the time to reply

Regard Alan

Wow, good find.

If I typed sodder it would be either because I accidentally misspelled the word or because some words are spelled differently depending on which side of the pond you're on. And since I'm spelling challenged I might not know which it was.
So what's the story with regard to when and how long that bike was so sodden?
Thanks Merle Ha Ha 😀🤣🤣 the British use a slang term "Sod off" which means get lost and as I am half British the term sodder when I hear it has always bemused me it sounds very odd to my ear but hey each to his own. We Australians are not short of slang terms ourselves.

Yes this bike is a Sod of a thing but it may be a way of my Son telling me your not as smart as you think you are LOL o_O😁🤣

Best Regards Alan

I do get the frustration. I don’t get that it’s as daunting a task as you describe. I’m familiar after searching and learning with controller availability with sorted connectors. Lyen controllers weren’t daunting at all. Connectors? JST are cheap, common, and with the correct crumpet easy peas to change. Likewise with soldered connectors . Brown and blue threw me. I’m never happy with products using those colors rather than our normal red and black. Grin has a good connectors page. Making sorting very easy.
Thanks Tomjasz I am not that daunted now I have repaired more complex issues help from you members has helped heaps thank you all . Yes I never liked the blue brown thing either that's a European standard we always had the Red+ Black- Green Earth here until some dufous decided to change it now there is a plethora of mixed wiring out there go figure 🤬🤷‍♂️ Thanks for the advice and taking the time to reply

Best regards and new years greetings to all its new years Eve here so 2021 is almost done

Alan

Back