Hello from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada!

elkabong

Hi all;

It's great to join the forum! I'm new to the whole ebike concept, but anxious to make a purchase. being where I am 'geographically', there's not a whole lot of options for an entry level ($1500.00-$2000.00) ebike though. Most of the local bike shops carry the more 'high end' ebikes ($2500.00- $5000.00). So lookimng at different options online. Hopefully there's an area here where I can post & 'pick people's brains' as to waht might be suitable fo me & my budget?
Cheers; Rudy

Hi Rudy and welcome to the forum!

What are you looking for in a bike? With that price point; you can get a lot more than you think. I am currently transitioning from a Prodecotech Phantom X2 to a BBS02 driven Giant build. Have spent the last few months trying different things and pricing about every option. Would be happy to help with your search :).

Is $1500-$2000 what you're wanting to spend total?
Do you already have a bike you'd be willing to electrify?
Are you willing to (or is there a shop near you) that would install a simple kit if it meant getting you a much better bike for the money?
Is your commute mostly flat, or are there a decent amount of hills?
What is the total distance you plan on riding per day?
What speed are you shooting for?
Are you trying to get a lot of exercise while riding or have the bike do most of the work?
What is your weight including you and any gear you'll have on the bike?

There are more questions to ask but those should get us a long way in helping you find a great bike for your budget!

Hi TML:
Thanks for your response!

I'll answer your questions below...

Is $1500-$2000 what you're wanting to spend total? - Yes & don't forget; I'm in Canada, so those are CDN $'s . (So about $1200.-$1600. USA $'s)
Do you already have a bike you'd be willing to electrify? - No, I'd like a complete new ebike
Are you willing to (or is there a shop near you) that would install a simple kit if it meant getting you a much better bike for the money? - No. See above
Is your commute mostly flat, or are there a decent amount of hills? - Very flat. No hills at all.
What is the total distance you plan on riding per day? - Only 5 - 10 miles
What speed are you shooting for? 20 MPH is fine; but more would be even better!
Are you trying to get a lot of exercise while riding or have the bike do most of the work?- Have the bike do most of the work. LOL
What is your weight including you and any gear you'll have on the bike? - I'm 6'1", 220 lbs. no real gear on bike

So, now a bit more info from me ... I'm 60 years old; but an 'active/young' 60. ( I hope...LOL) You have my height & weight above.
My 'wants' are - Looking for a city or commuter style bike. Not a mountain or FAT Tire bike. Would like Throttle mode, 700 or 28" wheels & tires. Fenders & lights would be nice; but not a big deal as I can add them later.

Right now looking at the Rad Power Rad City bike a it checks most of these 'wants' of mine. Falling short only on the 700 or 28 wheels. Price is great at $1599. & Free shipping. I also liked the POPULOS Scout, but then saw it had no throttle mode.

Not much else to choose from here locally. All the local bike shops 'start' at well over the $2000. mark ( Evox, Devinci, Specialized, Trek, Pedego, etc...)

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Rudy

I'm guessing your comment is under review as you're a new member. (Either that or it's waiting on you to confirm your account.)

Based on your response to the above, I think your Rad Power Rad City bike is the best option you have. With keeping away from a road/mtb frame, this has the best motor, battery and shifting/braking components for that price. There are a few others like the Volt bike Elegant, but the Rad is probably the better purchase when looking at value for dollar brand new.

As always, DIY and used allow for much better quality for the price but in the brand new market; I'd say you have a great pick on your hands.

If you don't mind a more forward body position, there are a number of other options. Juiced being a great example.

Thanks again TML;
Up here in Canada;. the only way to get a Juiced bike is thru Best Buy & they only offer one frame size; ( Med). I think it will be a Rad City I do go for....

Hi; Yes, I did check them out. They only have the ebgo bikes & not available in my size; (L)....
Thanks though....

Actually, revisiting the Costco site; I think I have narrowed it down the the IGO Elite they have there, the Rad City or the Juiced Cross Current. There's a significant pice difference between these 3 models. Rad City $1600. IGO Elite $2300. & the Juiced about $2500.

Starting to lean toward the IGO as they seem to be well built & do have the taller 700 tires & wheels which I prefer. 26" Tires just seem so small these days!?!?!?

Last edited:
Back