Hello from Van Island

JanM

I am a very new rider, after (dare I say it?) 30 years of no biking at all! For shame! :) But, I just bought a Surface 604 Colt.... I had done a fair bit of research over the past few months, but still, my purchase was a bit impulsive :) Just walking along doing errands, and then popped into the bike store! I really had no idea that I was going to buy a bike on Friday!!
And maybe I should have got a Rook ... but I was in the mood to take one home, and the Colt was all they had :) Even though I am 5'11" with a 35" inseam, one small challenge with the Colt is getting my leg over the bar when I'm tired, which is still manageable, but it reminds me that I am not so young anymore! I tell myself it's going to get easier! And so far, I am extremely happy with everything else, and so happy to be out and about and riding :)
I haven't parked it anywhere yet, as I am still looking into lock devices. I have ordered an Abus folding lock and an alarm, and would like to get pinhead locks. I'll pop a question on the surface 604 section to see if anyone has them and the sizing needed.
I'm looking forward to being a participant in this community, and I think it's going to be a great resource as I begin my new cycling life!

Hello and welcome.

Yes, I think that swinging the leg over the top tube will get easier - Muscle memory is a great thing which helps us all even as we age and get less flexible! And like many, you will likely appreciate the more solid ride that a full diamond frame provides.

I've always thought (through my research) that Surface604 makes some darned nice e-bikes. You should enjoy your Colt a lot, and it was great that you could get one during this unprecedented boom in e-bike sales. So many are sold out for months.

Can't help out on the locking part of your post - fortunately my wife and I ride together so we so far have always been able to leave someone attending the bikes while the other goes into the store, bank, etc. But I'm sure there are some good solutions out there which folks will discuss.

Welcome Jan, ebiking is great especially when you’re not as young or agile as you once were. Don’t get too concerned over not getting a step thru. Just hold the brakes and lower the bike as much as you have to to get your leg over the cross bar, then you’re good to go. This site is the best going. Great people always willing to help. Don’t be afraid to jump in and ask questions, and don’t hesitate to offer opinions. All with respect and you will be more than welcomed here. Good luck with your new bike and keep on riding.

Welcome Jan, ebiking is great especially when you’re not as young or agile as you once were. Don’t get too concerned over not getting a step thru. Just hold the brakes and lower the bike as much as you have to to get your leg over the cross bar, then you’re good to go. This site is the best going. Great people always willing to help. Don’t be afraid to jump in and ask questions, and don’t hesitate to offer opinions. All with respect and you will be more than welcomed here. Good luck with your new bike and keep on riding.
Thanks for your support! :) I was out riding again today, testing myself on the streets, and getting more confident in making left-hand turns! And then stopping to just watch the birds and the ri
Thanks for the moral support! :) Out riding again today! :)

Hello and welcome.

Yes, I think that swinging the leg over the top tube will get easier - Muscle memory is a great thing which helps us all even as we age and get less flexible! And like many, you will likely appreciate the more solid ride that a full diamond frame provides.

I've always thought (through my research) that Surface604 makes some darned nice e-bikes. You should enjoy your Colt a lot, and it was great that you could get one during this unprecedented boom in e-bike sales. So many are sold out for months.

Can't help out on the locking part of your post - fortunately my wife and I ride together so we so far have always been able to leave someone attending the bikes while the other goes into the store, bank, etc. But I'm sure there are some good solutions out there which folks will discuss.
Thanks TMH! I think it's true about muscle memory - I was out for a modest 20km ride today, and already feel that my stride is improving! :)

Reactions: TMH
Thank you! Coombs is close, yes :) Nice flatlands too!
Funny you should mention the flatlands. I drove through Port Alberni a couple of days ago, on my way to Tofino, and I wondered if there was a flat piece of land in Port. Definitely ebike country. :)
I've thought about riding my road bike from Coombs to Port Alberni, but the road is terrible for cycling.

Funny you should mention the flatlands. I drove through Port Alberni a couple of days ago, on my way to Tofino, and I wondered if there was a flat piece of land in Port. Definitely ebike country. :)
I've thought about riding my road bike from Coombs to Port Alberni, but the road is terrible for cycling.
There are definitely hills in every direction in this town! :)I've thought of going over the hump to get to the beach, but I don't know how I'd feel about some of those corners around Cameron Lake!

Back