Hello from NW Coloardo

PAS Please

Hello All! I discovered EBR while researching eBikes on YouTube. I really appreciate the detailed reviews that this site gives!!!!!! THANK YOU from a novice. I used to ride a lot, but with age, I have taken up golf and UTV riding. I REALLY want to get back into biking.........the eBike is my ticket home!!!! Am I a cheater?....I really don't give a damn!

As a new member of EBR, I'm excited to jump in and learn. I live in NW Colorado, and I have some of the world's best biking within a short distance of my front door. Two hours SW puts me in Moab, UT. Two hours East and I'm in Steamboat Springs, CO. Two hours South and I'm on the Grand Mesa. Two hours North and I'm in Wyoming! And, one step out my front door and I'm in the White River National Forest. We have thousands of opportunities and it is about time I take advantage of them!

I haven't purchased an ebike yet. I will be ready to buy in mid-June . So far, I've been looking at the BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra FS, BackCountry eBike's Mule, and the Rambo eBike (All FatTire Bikes for the trails/roads/mountains). In my research I have decided that I want a mid-mount motor to help with the "hills" we have around here. Also, I would like a motor that has metal/steel gears as opposed to teflon (Befang Ultra, ect....). I don't want to breakdown 15 miles in!! I'm too old for that! LOL

I am open to any suggestions that you may offer! I'm a complete novice and I don't want my excitement to overrule good judgement when I purchase!

Welcome to the site.
I don't think any of the major brands are going to wear out a gear in less than 3 or 4 years. Probably by the fifth year you'll need a new battery. So buy based on frame size, posture, features, speed, range, IMHO. I find riding without power with no drag key, since I use the bike for cardio health & weight control. But with your choice of long grades, you'll probably be riding powered a higher percentage of the time than I do. My problem now is the high winds of climate change.
Read about tires & "goat head" thorns on maintenance & parts forum. I don't have a problem with flats here on regular kenda knobby tires, as long as the knobs are high enough. But people in the west do. Fat tire bikes are reputed to be hard to change a tube out in nowhere, and sounds like you also will be going out of range of the cell phone towers. Last time I blew a tire (used) on the bike left I had the tube changed out in under an hour.
I took the Amtrak to Grand Junction for vacation about '99. Plenty to see there even though I couldn't find a charity resale shop with a used bike. I walked out to the Monument one day, since the tour bus wouldn't run Thanksgiving week.

Last edited:
Welcome, check out Eddie J. on this forum. Based in the U.K. he does back country e biking all over Europe. Lots of helpfull tips in his ride reviews , and gear to take along. I have attended an Ebike school in Colorado Springs . Barnett Bycycle Institute, that helped me with learning about ebikes. Your right about the trails around you. Sure miss Colorado. Gotta get back ASAP.

Back