Hello from New Zealand

Vickcol

Giday !! Been watching EBR for a couple of years now and just made my purchase upgrade today. Traded my Smart Motion E City, now have to await delivery from Germany for my new Riese & Muller Multicharger. Looking forward to sharing thoughts, ideas and plans with like minded e-bikers.

Colin
Welcome to the EBR Forum. There are several NZ members but almost no photos are posted of ebiking in New Zealand (please, be the exception!). By all accounts, the R&M Multicharger is a wonderful ebike – please, keep us posted.
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, and yes, pics please! I need to start thinking about my 2020 New Zealand vacation itinerary!!

Vickcol
Welcome to the EBR Forum. There are several NZ members but almost no photos are posted of ebiking in New Zealand (please, be the exception!). By all accounts, the R&M Multicharger is a wonderful ebike – please, keep us posted.
… David
Thanks for that David, No problem at all to attach photo's. We have amazing rail trails throughout NZ, many on my door-step. Once I grow 2x wheels again I'll make a point to share. 2-3months for delivery Im told.. bugger ! Colin (Vickcol)

Hi christob, appreciate the welcome, you won't regret a break down-under.. what plans do you have, cycling ?
Colin (Vickcol)

Hi christob, appreciate the welcome, you won't regret a break down-under.. what plans do you have, cycling ?
Colin (Vickcol)

Hi Colin; I haven't begun to set an itinerary -- but the trip will be (I'm 95% sure) during Sept. 2020. It will be a combo of NZ and Australia (the "lower right" - covering Melbourne, Sydney and up to Brisbane... the trip came about originally as a visit to some friends living in Gold Coast -- they've come through USA a few times over the years, so I'm due to return the favor! It will be my first time down under.)

I'm thinking on planning about 6 days in NZ, and around 12-14 days for Australia.

I definitely would be interested in, say, renting an e-bike while in NZ (and perhaps also in Oz) for a day or afternoon (or afternoons) of riding beautiful / scenic trails, probably "out-and-back" casual kinds of rides. Not considering any bike-camping at this point. The trip isn't being planned around biking; it will be very much a tourist-vacation kind of trip for me, but I'm happy to include some rental biking in that mix!

And as a LOTR film fan, I do have to go see Hobbiton, gimmicky or not...!
But really, I haven't even started building a 'must-see list' of sights or attractions yet... Feel free to share any great ideas here (or send me a message through the website if you don't want to get off topic here!)

Hi Colin; I haven't begun to set an itinerary -- but the trip will be (I'm 95% sure) during Sept. 2020. It will be a combo of NZ and Australia (the "lower right" - covering Melbourne, Sydney and up to Brisbane... the trip came about originally as a visit to some friends living in Gold Coast -- they've come through USA a few times over the years, so I'm due to return the favor! It will be my first time down under.)

I'm thinking on planning about 6 days in NZ, and around 12-14 days for Australia.

I definitely would be interested in, say, renting an e-bike while in NZ (and perhaps also in Oz) for a day or afternoon (or afternoons) of riding beautiful / scenic trails, probably "out-and-back" casual kinds of rides. Not considering any bike-camping at this point. The trip isn't being planned around biking; it will be very much a tourist-vacation kind of trip for me, but I'm happy to include some rental biking in that mix!

And as a LOTR film fan, I do have to go see Hobbiton, gimmicky or not...!
But really, I haven't even started building a 'must-see list' of sights or attractions yet... Feel free to share any great ideas here (or send me a message through the website if you don't want to get off topic here!)

We live just 45 minutes from Matamata (re-named Hoberton).
If you are into LOTR then yes it has to be a visit. Regular bus trips out to village sites to knock on the round doors and see how the illusion of distance was filmed using different sized doors built into the hills. Lots of other things to see how the magic actually happened.
The area all around this town is full of wonderful bike trails that were once the main railway lines that connected towns throughout the country. Outstanding sites to visit, safe off main traffic roads and of cause, other cyclists to share moments.
Keep in touch and feel free to ask for further Kiwi information. Colin.

Giday !! Been watching EBR for a couple of years now and just made my purchase upgrade today. Traded my Smart Motion E City, now have to await delivery from Germany for my new Riese & Muller Multicharger. Looking forward to sharing thoughts, ideas and plans with like minded e-bikers.
Trying to get the hang of how this forum stuff all works. So have taken the plunge by replying to a fellow New Zealander. Congratulations on your purchase I am sure you will enjoy the R&M Multicharger when it arrives. I also have just purchased a R&M ebike, a Homage GX Rohloff HS. Due to arrive end of June. Can hardly wait. I cycle around Papamoa Beach and Tauranga area.

Welcome aboard, @e Kiwi i hope the time passes quickly for the delivery!

Sorry Chris, but it's gonna be a long couple of months for Kiwi. You know what it's like waiting, and reading how much everyone is getting out? Only bright spot for Kiwi? Summer is almost over for those in NZ.

Yes, they are just little dragons though. They are called "Tuatara". They are about 1/2 a metre in length and weighin at 1.5kg. They are found mainly on islands around the coast. I have only ever seen one in a zoo.
Yes, it is going to be a bit of a wait but at least I have my Moustache off2 to get out and about on untill then.

Thanks for getting back with me, still not sure what I’m doing in the forum. I do trail and path riding mostly, and in northern lower Michigan we have black bear roaming around! I’ve seen them on two tracks, in the woods and so on. They say the black bear can run as fast as 35 mph.! My mini is 20 mph. at tops. Thinking about a forward hub motor system, no peddle. Looking for a boost in speed to get me out of trouble. Is there anyone out there that has thought about and/or has done this on a 20x4 fat tire? This would be used in short runs to avoid danger. Thanks in advance and please don’t say to stay out of the woods, I live next to hundreds of miles of state wooded land. Again, very best regards, keep the painted side up, Pale Rider

Wow, Been away hunting, enjoying another fabulous NZ (Kiwi) activity to find all these wonderful welcomes. Only have another month ?? to wait until the Multicharger arrives but leave for England and France next week and return for E Bike pickup. Yeah !
Good to here from e-kiwi, Must keep in touch as we intend will be moving to Papamoa in the next couple of years.
Cheer, Colin

I'm traveling to New Zealand October 26th from Portland, Oregon. I'd like to bring my Levo ebike, however airlines don't allow batteries. Is there a way to purchase a used Specialized battery in New Zealand, then sell it when I leave in February? Can someone tell me where I might find an online listing service for this? Thanks. Peter

I'm traveling to New Zealand October 26th from Portland, Oregon. I'd like to bring my Levo ebike, however airlines don't allow batteries. Is there a way to purchase a used Specialized battery in New Zealand, then sell it when I leave in February? Can someone tell me where I might find an online listing service for this? Thanks. Peter

The large carriers, will ship it out for you. I have used this method.

Back