Hello from Montreal - and advice please.

Mtl_Biker

Hello Everyone,

Cycling has always been my sport but as I’ve gotten on in age (67 now), it’s harder and harder both to ride and to find time to ride. I’ve ridden from home to work (35+ km each way) several times but not yet this summer. The ride home always gets me riding into a strong headwind and it’s also really hot. Sometimes I feel like I’m going to die. :) So now I’m looking for my first e-bike and could use some advice...

I have plenty of traditional bikes... high-end road bike which I don’t use for commuting, full suspension mountain bike which is my preferred commute bike and also a titanium frame Brompton which I really love and which lets me hop on public transit if I feel I can’t make the ride home or if the weather is bad.

Been looking at the offerings from Giant but finding a medium-size model locally is proving a bit difficult. Everyone says the 2020 models are about to be introduced but info about them is very sparse.

I’d been thinking first of the Road E+ Pro but think I might prefer something a little more beefy that would handle some gravel better. Plus I’d have to add a rear rack, fenders and lights. So now I’m torn between the ToughRoad GXE+ (would also have to add the rack, fenders and lights) and the Explore E+ 1 GTS. 2019 models are gone and there doesn’t seem to be any info yet on these models for 2020. The info on the Explore E+ 2 is there and it seems to be a step down from the 1. But we don’t know what the new model 1 will offer.

Could these bikes handle 70+ km in a day without recharging? Should I consider getting a second charger to keep at my office? Is it really true that the charger costs about $700 cdn as one dealer I called told me? Any other charging options?

And one dealer told me that with the rack that comes on the Explore I would have to buy Giant panniers and that other brands won’t fit. Could this really be true? I really like Ortleib bags and have been very happy with them on my motorcycle (BMW GS) and I’d wanted to get them for my new e-bike.

Anyway, I guess my only real option is to wait (patiently???) for any news of the 2020 models. I’d hate to have bought a 2019 (if I could find one) only to find a couple of weeks later that the new models offer something better. SIGH

Thank you for any comments and advice.

Hello Everyone,

Cycling has always been my sport but as I’ve gotten on in age (67 now), it’s harder and harder both to ride and to find time to ride. I’ve ridden from home to work (35+ km each way) several times but not yet this summer. The ride home always gets me riding into a strong headwind and it’s also really hot. Sometimes I feel like I’m going to die. :) So now I’m looking for my first e-bike and could use some advice...

I have plenty of traditional bikes... high-end road bike which I don’t use for commuting, full suspension mountain bike which is my preferred commute bike and also a titanium frame Brompton which I really love and which lets me hop on public transit if I feel I can’t make the ride home or if the weather is bad.

Been looking at the offerings from Giant but finding a medium-size model locally is proving a bit difficult. Everyone says the 2020 models are about to be introduced but info about them is very sparse.

I’d been thinking first of the Road E+ Pro but think I might prefer something a little more beefy that would handle some gravel better. Plus I’d have to add a rear rack, fenders and lights. So now I’m torn between the ToughRoad GXE+ (would also have to add the rack, fenders and lights) and the Explore E+ 1 GTS. 2019 models are gone and there doesn’t seem to be any info yet on these models for 2020. The info on the Explore E+ 2 is there and it seems to be a step down from the 1. But we don’t know what the new model 1 will offer.

Could these bikes handle 70+ km in a day without recharging? Should I consider getting a second charger to keep at my office? Is it really true that the charger costs about $700 cdn as one dealer I called told me? Any other charging options?

And one dealer told me that with the rack that comes on the Explore I would have to buy Giant panniers and that other brands won’t fit. Could this really be true? I really like Ortleib bags and have been very happy with them on my motorcycle (BMW GS) and I’d wanted to get them for my new e-bike.

Anyway, I guess my only real option is to wait (patiently???) for any news of the 2020 models. I’d hate to have bought a 2019 (if I could find one) only to find a couple of weeks later that the new models offer something better. SIGH

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have some nice rides. New model year ebikes aren't typically available for scrutiny until after Eurobike and Interbike (US) shows in August and September. We always see teasers this time of year. Rarely do you see the new models in stores until autumn at the earliest. I say rarely because there have been a few early releases this and last summer.

I'm not able to comment on Giant bikes, sorry, but my experience is you won't have any problems achieving 45 + miles on a 400 or 500 watt hour battery pack. With modest speed averages of 15 mph, I've ridden 55 miles on a 417 watt hour pack with power to spare. Speed and assist level will be the determining factor.

Good luck in your search.

Not sure if it's a system wide Giant thing, but I ordered my 2019 Fathom last year, late July 2018. Got it 3 days later Aug 1st 2018.

So it would seem that they are warehousing and waiting for the retail stock to deplete. I just happened to ask what the new models would be like and I was shown the Fathom on the retailer's computer. I was surprised that I could order one on the spot and it would be there in 3 days, so I went for it.

Regarding distance, I'd think you could get 80kms as long as you hang around in assist level 1 or 2 with the occasional need for higher on a hill. Very much dependent on your weight and assist levels used.

Hello Everyone,

Congrats on considering an ebike! I’m sure whatever you choose will be fantastic. Can’t wait to see a photo.
Try not to second guess yourself or you’ll go crazy. These ebikes are kind of like computers: there’s ALWAYS something better in a short amount of time.

Why are you only looking at Giant? There seems to be a lot of bikes in that range that are worth considering. Specialized Turbo Vado, Raleigh Redux and Detour, or Ghost and Stromer bikes available from MEC to name a few. So many options.
If it's true that a second charger for a Giant is $700, that would be alarming.

I converted a older FS mountain bike that I had lying around and it's been great for commuting. Since panniers would be difficult with the rear suspension, I put a front basket on it which works quite well. Loads beyond 12lbs start to get a little awkward though. It took a fair bit of fiddling to get it all together nicely, so there's something to be said for getting a complete bike ready-to-ride.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have some nice rides. New model year ebikes aren't typically available for scrutiny until after Eurobike and Interbike (US) shows in August and September. We always see teasers this time of year. Rarely do you see the new models in stores until autumn at the earliest. I say rarely because there have been a few early releases this and last summer.

I'm not able to comment on Giant bikes, sorry, but my experience is you won't have any problems achieving 45 + miles on a 400 or 500 watt hour battery pack. With modest speed averages of 15 mph, I've ridden 55 miles on a 417 watt hour pack with power to spare. Speed and assist level will be the determining factor.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks for the comments and the welcome. My local dealer (Giant) is letting me test drive one of his e-bikes next weekend and I'm really looking forward to it. Glad to hear that there shouldn't be any problem doing 45+ miles on a charge.

Not sure if it's a system wide Giant thing, but I ordered my 2019 Fathom last year, late July 2018. Got it 3 days later Aug 1st 2018.

So it would seem that they are warehousing and waiting for the retail stock to deplete. I just happened to ask what the new models would be like and I was shown the Fathom on the retailer's computer. I was surprised that I could order one on the spot and it would be there in 3 days, so I went for it.

Regarding distance, I'd think you could get 80kms as long as you hang around in assist level 1 or 2 with the occasional need for higher on a hill. Very much dependent on your weight and assist levels used.

The bikes I looked at locally didn't have numbered assist levels (as far as I could see) but had names for the different levels. Maybe that depends on the bike. But my dealer expects to hear about new models possibly in a week's time. And he's setting up a demo for me to test ride next weekend. It'll be my first e-bike experience and I'm really looking forward to it.

Why are you only looking at Giant? There seems to be a lot of bikes in that range that are worth considering. Specialized Turbo Vado, Raleigh Redux and Detour, or Ghost and Stromer bikes available from MEC to name a few. So many options.
If it's true that a second charger for a Giant is $700, that would be alarming.

I converted a older FS mountain bike that I had lying around and it's been great for commuting. Since panniers would be difficult with the rear suspension, I put a front basket on it which works quite well. Loads beyond 12lbs start to get a little awkward though. It took a fair bit of fiddling to get it all together nicely, so there's something to be said for getting a complete bike ready-to-ride.

I wasn't only looking at Giant... I started off really interested in a Ghost from MEC, but it turned out that there is no stock at all left in Canada other than for an extra large frame size (I need medium). And when I spoke the actual product manager at MEC he told me the model was discontinued and that they had no idea yet what models would be available next season. Then I did more research and tried to find a bike and a dealer I'd be happy with. The Giant bikes I'm considering seem to tick off all my checkboxes and the dealer I spoke with (and then met) really impressed me. But since I can't get what I wanted right now, I'll certainly check out the other options you mentioned. (But the Stromer bikes look just... chunky to me.)

All I know for certain is that the longer I wait before getting an e-bike the more choices there will be and the more advanced they will be. So I'm probably going to end up with a FIRST e-bike that I'll likely change in a couple of years as I both learn more and the bikes advance.

Thanks very much for your comments!

I'd have to agree on the looks of the Stromer. Not very attractive bikes to my eye. I quite like the new Yamaha bikes, but I have no idea where to get them in Canada. The Opus WKND LRT is also a fairly nice conventional looking commuter bike.

I'm envious of your Ti Brommie. Would love to have one of those to toss in the trunk or travel with.

Congrats on considering an ebike! I’m sure whatever you choose will be fantastic. Can’t wait to see a photo.
Try not to second guess yourself or you’ll go crazy. These ebikes are kind of like computers: there’s ALWAYS something better in a short amount of time.

Thank you, Marci Jo. I'm sure you're right about something better always appearing quickly. I'm going to look at it this way... for my first e-bike, I'm going to choose the best I can find within my budget and try to pick a good dealer who'll give me service and support. And I'll ride it for a year and then with a lot more experience and knowledge under my belt (and hopefully a better budget) I'll change to something else.

Photo? Yes, there will be photos! :)

I'd have to agree on the looks of the Stromer. Not very attractive bikes to my eye. I quite like the new Yamaha bikes, but I have no idea where to get them in Canada. The Opus WKND LRT is also a fairly nice conventional looking commuter bike.

I'm envious of your Ti Brommie. Would love to have one of those to toss in the trunk or travel with.

Yes, the Opus WKND LRT also looks nice. But by the specs (my only way to compare so far) it doesn't quite look as interesting as the offerings by Giant. Plus after calling around to the dealers listed on their site, I'm disappointed with their disinterested responses. And it seems like their most common dealers here are the Sports Experts chain. Calling two locations got me no information at all on this model. And one of their "flagship" dealers doesn't even list this model on their site (which is ONLY in French). And calling them got me a recording, also only in French, listing a bunch of extensions. They only open at 10am I was able to determine, but even if they're an outstanding dealer, they are quite out of the way for me, and the fact that they present themselves only in French are both strikes against them for me. At this point the Giant bikes are still looking like my best choice. And the dealer I visited seemed really great. So now I'm just waiting to hear what the new 2020 models might bring, which shouldn't be long from now.

Quantum is a Riese & Muller dealer in Montreal. From what you describe, the Delight model will give you everything you are looking for...full suspension, sturdy luggage rack, dual batteries for long range. I own one and it is a lively, comfortable, quality built bike. They have many good brands of ebikes there. I highly recommend a visit to test ride some bikes. I think that will be very helpful to your process.

Quantum is a Riese & Muller dealer in Montreal. From what you describe, the Delight model will give you everything you are looking for...full suspension, sturdy luggage rack, dual batteries for long range. I own one and it is a lively, comfortable, quality built bike. They have many good brands of ebikes there. I highly recommend a visit to test ride some bikes. I think that will be very helpful to your process.

Thanks for the suggestion, but...

All the Riese & Muller bike models are out of my price range, with the Delite being $9709 - $15519!!!!!! Two to three times my budget!

I'll check out their other brands.

Didn't mean to rain on the parade. Perhaps best to state your budget up front when you ask the question. I would not have mentioned the Delight if you had done so. The bikes are a major leap above the competition and are priced accordingly.

The key is to test ride as many different bikes as possible. The best bike for you will emerge more reliably from that effort than from asking each of us who will clearly exhibit confirmation bias in touting the merits of our chosen brand.

How about Scooteretti in Montreal? They have one of the broadest selections in existence, at least from their website: who knows what they actually stock. Here's a link to their BH e-bikes, which I'm partial to because I ride one of their earliest models: https://scooteretti.com/electric-bike/collection/bh-electric-bikes/ The cost of ebikes sure has gone up, justified in part, by the new tech, but BH still has bikes at a range of prices. Enjoy your eventual choice.
(Edit: Oops, I misread their web references and now note they're merely nearby in Ottawa, but I'm sure you knew that much better than me.)

Last edited:
Didn't mean to rain on the parade. Perhaps best to state your budget up front when you ask the question. I would not have mentioned the Delight if you had done so. The bikes are a major leap above the competition and are priced accordingly.

The key is to test ride as many different bikes as possible. The best bike for you will emerge more reliably from that effort than from asking each of us who will clearly exhibit confirmation bias in touting the merits of our chosen brand.

You’re right... I should have mentioned my budget. But then again a strong clue might have been the bikes I said I was looking at. If it’s a $4,000 bike, it’s unlikely that I’d consider something at $10,000.

I didn’t know about the Quantum shop and I’m glad you pointed it out to me. Right now budget is a bit tight but it’s very likely that in a year, after having learned more and knowing more what would be best for me, I would consider something more advanced and higher-end.

Cheers!

How about Scooteretti in Montreal? They have one of the broadest selections in existence, at least from their website: who knows what they actually stock. Here's a link to their BH e-bikes, which I'm partial to because I ride one of their earliest models: https://scooteretti.com/electric-bike/collection/bh-electric-bikes/ The cost of ebikes sure has gone up, justified in part, by the new tech, but BH still has bikes at a range of prices. Enjoy your eventual choice.
(Edit: Oops, I misread their web references and now note they're merely nearby in Ottawa, but I'm sure you knew that much better than me.)

Thanks! The BH e-bikes do look interesting but the more popular models are marked as sold out. In any case, Ottawa (2.5 hours car drive for me) is too far for me to go to buy a bike. I feel that a good relationship with a local dealer is very important, especially so since I’ve been reading that e-bikes need some specialized service.

I’m going to search to see if there is a Montreal dealer for that brand.

Thank you.

Back